Author Topic: Should a technical have been called  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Should a technical have been called
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:12 AM »
tie game with like 1:20.
AI goes up for shot, Rocket defender called for foul :rolleyes:   Not much of an angle on the replay but it looked very generous call for Allen Bryant.  Or was it, I didn't have the angle.  Whatever, AI sinks two.

After TMac sinks a trey, Houston now inexplicably goes to Baldy Wesley who horks up a three point attempt on two successive possessions.

On the 2nd one.......

Wesley standing in corner with ball.  Sixers bench people are standing up.  Very close to Wesley but 6ers still out of bounds.  Except for one SixerDork who is c-l-e-a-r-l-y having a foot over the line.  Inbounds side of the line that is.  
Rules say that is 6 men on court, tech shot and ball.

Wesley launches and bricks.  Again.  (continuation of same play) Am i blaming the brick on the intruder?  No.  Was he within a couple feet of Wesley?  Sure looked like it.  Especially when Wesley 1st recieved ball.  (Wesley took a step away from SixerDork then launched.  Also looked like he (6er)was yelling.  I didn't Tivo but dabods-RT did you have a take?

Anywho what do you want to see?
a)  Darn right its a technical, get your arse off the court BenchDude, especially when you are two feet from a shooter.  Call it.

be)  Naw let it be.  So he was two-three inches over the line, who cares.
[/size]

2.  Are bench people allowed to stand up (even when they are legally out of bounds) when the other team has the ball right next to their bench.  Rulebook?

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:20:23 AM »
I go with b, should have been a technical.

Either way, nice win for the Sixers against a team thtat ordinarilly gives them problems.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »
right, and technically any time a coach steps on the court, a technical should be called.

haw.

jn

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 10:06:14 AM »
Exactly dabods.  :up:  I didn't see last nights game but I have seen plenty of coaches wander out onto the court.  In particular when I've had good seats at college game near the benches I've seen coaches out on the court within a few feet of opposing players and no tech has been called.  Given that I'd say calling it on a player might be a little sketchy but again, I did not see this play.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:30:49 AM »
Given that I'd say calling it on a player might be a little sketchy but again, I did not see this play.
Coaches/ players Apples/oranges.

The whole dealio here is are the bench player(s) affecting the shooters shot.
I said i don't think Sixer Benchee did.  However, he may have, he looked very close to Wesley.  Also while bench players are of course allowed to yell, it is an unfair advantage when they are able to creep onto the court to yell, esp if within feet of the shooter.

I only saw it once in real time.  ESPN only replayed it once and that was to see where Benchees foot was.

Coaches waddling onto the court are usually far away from play.  However i would raise the same objection. If they affected the shooter or the play, T them up.

BTW the shooting foul call was on Rafer Alston on AI back at 98 up with 2:39 left.  6ers followed that with a couple hoops to go up 104-96.  Tmac follows with a sweet 3 for 104-101.  Me Webber misses twice in a row, but both times Houston goes to Wesley for a three with plenty of time on both game and shot clock.  Were you 6ies surprised?  Or were you too into the game and successful 6er comeback to notice.  Or care. :rofl:

Ya after Hou went up 67-54 I had to split thus missed the Philly run to get back in it.  They and AI must have turned it on.  Or did Van Grunty contribute by ordering Stall Grunt-Ball. :rolleyes:

Dalembert converted a few of AIs assists down the stretch. :cheers:   Even then i thought he was gonna fumble a few of them. :rolleyes:

I seriously think AI could make a run at 30/10 if he got conversion-finish help.

Also, besides stepping on court, what is the rule, enforced or not, on benchees standing up when opponent is right in front of them with ball?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:38:34 AM by Reality »

jn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
Check what I wrote again reality.  It's not apples and oranges because as I said, I have seen MANY times where the coach is on the floor while the players are on the same end of the court.  At a U of MN women's game a couple years ago a MN player actually had to swere to avoid the Michigan coach and no tech was called.  I saw Gary Williams, now at Maryland then at Ohio State, do the same thing.  

Also bench players get onto the court without affecting the play as well.  If this rule was enforced %100 of the time the Mark Madsen would be ejected from 82 games a  year.  :eek2:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 11:18:31 AM »
At a U of MN women's game a couple years ago a MN player actually had to swere to avoid the Michigan coach and no tech was called.  I saw Gary Williams, now at Maryland then at Ohio State, do the same thing.
If intruding coach or bench player affects play, I say tech 100% of the time.

That would put a stop to on court interference pronto.  Well, it would cut back on it. :rolleyes:

Speaking of interference, did you see where the estatic Florida State Univercity crowd stormed the court in glee after Duke missed a free throw to keep Floridas lead at 79-74 with time expired.

Except that time had not expired.  1.7 seconds was left and Duke fouled FSU stopping the clock.  FSU euphoric/moronic fans AND BENCHEES filled the floor.
Technical foul.

Two tech free throw shots for Fluke!!  JJ Hurley made them both.
79-76.  Now Duke can tie with a three.

It was not one of those tecks where Duke got both the tech shots and the ball, so back it went to FSU for the foul shot attempt.

Well thankfully FSU player hit his FTs so that ended the game.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:00:46 PM »
Why are players so close to the court?  It's too allow more "courtside" seats -- courtside seats are INCREDIBLY close to the court -- and when you hvae to get to your seat while the ball is in play, you almost HAVE to walk out on the court.  

While it's against the rules and should be called, it needs to be called across the board -- many coaches walk out on the court all the time -- I think PJ is probably the King of that but most are guilty at least once in every game.  I don't believe that it's interferring with gameplay though.

As for players foot being over the line -- do you really think that disrupts the play of opposing players on the floor?  I sure don't -- you zone that out -- unless they are within a foot of you -- but I don't see that happening.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:13:36 PM »
On the other hand, since Stern era NBA has had so many WWF moments anyways, lets open it up to coaches and bench players being able to disrupt on court opponents.

Will it be?....

Jeff Van Gundy with a body block of Bruce Bowen.
Fiesty ex point guard Mike Fratello giving a bump and trip to A.I.
Flip Saunders with an illegal pick on Tim Dunkan.
Phil Jackson blocking Josh Howard so Kobme can get a clearer 3 pt attempt.

Let the possibilities begin...

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:26:34 PM »
Jeff Van Gundy with a body block of Bruce Bowen.

Does anyone remember the game when Del Harris went out onto the court in front of a fast-breaking guard.  I don't remember who the guard was but I believe Harris was coaching the Milwaukee Bucks at the time.  It was a blooper moment, here is this speedster, head down, running full speed.  Harris walks out and takes the guy to the foor, it was incredible.  Its like Del was a brick wall, he didn't even get knocked back.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."