Author Topic: Portland Trailblazers are in financial trouble!  (Read 1447 times)

Guest_Randy

Portland Trailblazers are in financial trouble!
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The NBA and the Northwest are not a good match at the moment.

First the Seattle SuperSonics, and now the Portland Trail Blazers, are making loud noises about their unhappiness with their arena leases and the lack of public financing, suggesting -- without actually saying -- they just could pack up and leave.

Billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the Blazers, made his team's revenue forecast public for the first time late Thursday, estimating he will lose $100 million over the next three years.

And the man who runs Allen's privately held investment firm, Vulcan Capital, says the "brutal facts" are that the team cannot keep losing money any more.

Without some kind of "public-private partnership," Lance Conn told The Associated Press, "no business person can sustain losses of that kind."

Even though Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft Corp., is a billionaire, he has lost more than $12 billion in bad investments over the past decade, including $600 million he has poured into the Blazers and their arena since 1988 without realizing a dime of profit.

The SuperSonics, meanwhile, have lost more than $60 million since Howard Schultz bought the team in 2001.

Big payrolls for players are also a problem, but the teams are stuck with them in an intensely competitive market for top talent.

Conn told AP in an interview that "all options are on the table" for the Trail Blazers because "the economic model is broken."

"It's time to confront the brutal facts," Conn said, adding that Allen would not wait for long.

"Time is of the essence," Conn said. "We need to see immediate improvements from some sort of structural fix."

That "structural fix" includes more revenue from the Rose Garden Arena; the home of the Blazers once owned by Allen before the company that ran it -- Oregon Arena Corp. -- declared bankruptcy and forced Allen to sell it.

Conn noted that NBA Commissioner David Stern told AP last week that he considered the Seattle lease "the least competitive lease in the league, which is a decided economic disadvantage." Stern did not immediately return calls left late Thursday with the commissioner's office in New York.

But Conn said the Blazers have a lease in Portland that is far worse.

He said the Blazers receive no revenue for suites, clubs, courtside seats, game concessions or parking at the Rose Garden.

The Sonics, by comparison, receive 40 percent of the revenue for suites, 60 percent for clubs, and 100 percent for courtside seats, game concessions and parking at the Key Arena in Seattle.

And, Conn said, Schultz is asking the Washington state Legislature to come up with $200 million to model Key Arena or help build a new home for the Seattle team.

A spokesman for Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski said the governor met with Vulcan and Blazers representatives two weeks ago, but there was no discussion about a public bailout.

"I don't know what would leave the [Blazers] ownership the impression there is an opportunity for broad-scale public financing," said Pat Egan, Kulongoski's chief of staff. "I don't know how they could draw that conclusion at this point."

Portland Mayor Tom Potter had no immediate comment but he scheduled a meeting Friday with Trail Blazers officials.

You know what I miss in this article?  Personal culpability -- from both the Blazers and the Sonics but the Blazers are the KING in this area (as in Don King).  

Through mismanagement, overpaying players and assembling perhaps one of the worst group of players (i.e. thugs) to ever play the game, the Blazers management took one of the best NBA cities due to their loyal fans and drove the entire organization into the ground.  Players basically told loyal Blazer fans to "go to hell" (I believe that was a direct Bonzi quote along with something to the effect that they, the players, didn't need the fans).  

Now, the team is working hard to restore their image and regain their fanbase but now they want to cry "the Blazers aren't making enough money and the public needs to bail us out"?

I realize that Paul Allen has spent a lot of money but isn't HE the one who decided to make long term max contracts the standard for the Blazers?  Especially to players who couldn't possibly play out the length of their contract?  Granted, he didn't make the day-by-day decisions but he allowed Bob Whittsitt to do to the Blazers akin to what Zeke is presently doing with the Knicks.  But there IS a difference, in assemblying the Blazers -- Whittsitt managed to grow a bunch of malcontents that went out of their way to offend some of the most loyal fans in the league.  Portland has been a great basketball city and it took Allen and his cronies several years to change all of that -- and now he wants to cry about the fact that he is losing money?

I'm not sure I understand all of this recent whining (see Allen, Shultz, Maloofs, etc.) by billionaire owners who want to own a team, want to run it their way (even if it includes making poor decisions with salaries, players, etc.) but then want the public to pay MORE money to make teams more profitable for them (even if that means to continue with mismanagement).  

I believe the public needs to stand up and say "enough is enough."  Salaries have gotten too high in basketball, football and baseball and it's time to put an end to it.  The public isn't going to fund more arenas (or remodeling the existing ones for millions of dollars) when half of the US is without health care -- when most corporations are finding ways to scale back their workforce in order to become "more efficient" (a new term which really means they want to realize greater profits) -- ALL so greedy selfcentered sports stars (and their owners) can make more money when the majority already see fans as an "inconvenience" in their lives.  

I say "forget it" -- forget new stadiums, forget public assistance to billionaires who are squandering their money by paying sportstars too much money.  It's already becoming difficult for a normal family to be able to afford to go see an NBA game (same with football) and now they want to add more taxes (the only way new arenas or remodeled arenas happen) just so the average fan has the opportunity to pay MORE money just to see a game.

It makes me  :puke: !

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:12 PM »
I believe the public needs to stand up and say "enough is enough." Salaries have gotten too high in basketball, football and baseball and it's time to put an end to it. The public isn't going to fund more arenas (or remodeling the existing ones for millions of dollars) when half of the US is without health care -- when most corporations are finding ways to scale back their workforce in order to become "more efficient" (a new term which really means they want to realize greater profits) -- ALL so greedy selfcentered sports stars (and their owners) can make more money when the majority already see fans as an "inconvenience" in their lives.

:cheers:

Amen Randy!!

I have never agreed with you MORE!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I am obviously not privy to the Trailblazers financial info, but there is no doubt they are losing money and have been for a number of years.  Of course there is a big difference between losing money, and having a negative cash flow.  Many pro teams have a taxable loss, but generate positive cash.  I don't believe that is the case with the Blazers though.  They are losing money, and I think lots of it.  I am not crying for them, just stating the obvious.

The present situation I think is to a certain degree about playing chicken.  The Blazers easily have the worst lease in all of pro sports.  They get no revenue from Suites, Concessions, Courtside or Premium Seats, or Parking, and while still paying rent to the Rose Garden owner.  Based upon that it is quite clear that they cannot generate enough revenue to support a large payroll, even a moderate payroll.

Of course, that was also the situation when Paul Allen's group owned the Rose Garden.  The Blazers didn't get those revenues then, that is why those revenues went with the arena when Oregon Arena went bankrupt, and we didn't hear this stuff about the Blazers going bankrupt.  Obviously Allen is positioning for a better lease, or the opportunity to regain control of the Rose Garden.

All that aside though Randy is right that both Allen and Whitsett deserve blame in this, and the idea that the taxpayers of Oregon may have to bail them out is ridiculous.  Now if the People's Republic of Portland wants to bail them out, and leave me out of it, then I guess that would be par for the course.

Allen obviously had the right of final call on all these decisions, and he must bear ultimate blame.  At the same time there were many others who did not do even basic due diligence on some of these moves.

First and foremost among those others has to be Bob Whitsett.  He spent like a drunken sailor, overpaid over and over again, and there is really no way he could have done basic financial due diligence when making the moves he made.

Looking back to the early years of the Rose Garden, before the 2 trips to the WCF, the Blazers were easily profitable.  Then came some very fateful and unbelievabely bad decisions.  The first was the radical increase in payroll, from the $35-40 million range, to $100 million in 2002-03.  With that $100 million payroll came another $30 million in tax.  With an increase in costs of $100 million you better get some seriously better revenue streams or forget about making it work.

The first major bonehead was the development of the cable channel ASCN.  It operated for only 1-1/2 years, and never was on more than 30% of the Portland cable systems, because everybody wanted to put it in as HD, and ASCN wasn't set up that way.  This is mind blowing.  How can you not do the basic due diligence, and have those contracts in place before you start dropping big bucks.  Previously the Blazers had Blazer Cable which was not a channel, just a deal for broadcasts.  It was a much lower cost operation, and they were able to retain most if not all the revenues.  From the start ASCN lost millions upon millions in a year and half, and then you have no option but Fox Sports Net, and they have you over a barrel.  While the rest of the league was getting increasing amounts of local TV revenue, the Blazers were getting less, while at the same time their costs had increased by $100,000,000.

The final straw was Whitsett's seemingly oblivious approach to PR.  His arrogance made the media an enemy, and his tin year had him doing so many stupid things.  He did not see that the fan base was getting fed up, and he just kept on bringing in the same kind of players.  With just a couple of moves in 2001 and 2002, he could have changed the tenor of the team, without destroying it, and the fans would have responded.  But he instead kicks out a fan who puts up a sign "Fire Whitsett", says he was a sports major not a chemistry major, doesn't do much of any discipline, and makes moves without talking it through with his coach.  He never took responsibility for much of anything, and even now is pointing the finger everywhere but at himself.

We will see how this all works out, I am not making any predictions.  No doubt the financial model is no longer working in Portland, and something significant has to happen.  They can't leave, lease won't allow it, but they could go bankrupt.  tha would suck, but there are worse things in this world.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:36:24 PM »
Ziggy,

Even with all of that, I'm still looking forward to seeing some basketball games WHEN I'M IN PORTLAND NEXT MONTH!  

Carfax is sending me to training there, and I will be in Portland for a week.  Get in touch with me, and we'll catch a game or two together!

Plus, I'm going to be asking you about things to do/see, places to visit, etc., so be warned.

Joe

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »
Read a little more today, and I think one approach they may be taking is to work with the state to buy back the Rose Garden.  I believe the plan would be to have the state float a muni bond issue to fund the purchase, and then the Blazers would take over the operation of the Rose Garden, and make the debt payments, and fund the eventual bond redemption.
By using state muni bonds they can fund the purchase using 4% interest, rather than junk status the Blazers would have considering they already defaulted once.  That could save as much as 12 to 16 million a year in interest alone.  Plus depending upon how the muni bond is structured they may be able to finance over 25 years or more, thereby extending principal repayment.
The Blazers would then take over operations of the arena, and would then regain Suite, Premium, Club seating, concessions, and also parking.  To do this though I am sure Paul Allen would have to provide some iron clad guarantees.  I am sure that any negotiations would take many months to finalize, and even then I am not sure that the state or city would go for it.  Clearly the Blazers are crying serious poverty, have been for a couple of years, so this is the next step in the process.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 05:53:54 PM »
Ziggy,

Even with all of that, I'm still looking forward to seeing some basketball games WHEN I'M IN PORTLAND NEXT MONTH!  

Carfax is sending me to training there, and I will be in Portland for a week.  Get in touch with me, and we'll catch a game or two together!

Plus, I'm going to be asking you about things to do/see, places to visit, etc., so be warned.

Joe
Joe,

Personally, one of my favs is Multnomah Falls -- took my wife and ate at the Lodge and then hiked the Falls.  You can actually hike a short or long path -- I actually think there is a much longer path as well but it's pretty cool -- one of our favorites.  

http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/

Of course, you aren't far from Mt. Saint Helens as well -- that is quite amazing.  Canon Beach is a bit too far but it's very pretty as well.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 07:39:42 PM »
Ziggy,

Carfax is sending me to training there, and I will be in Portland for a week.  Get in touch with me, and we'll catch a game or two together!

Joe
Joe,

Personally, one of my favs is Multnomah Falls -- took my wife and ate at the Lodge and then hiked the Falls.  You can actually hike a short or long path -- I actually think there is a much longer path as well but it's pretty cool -- one of our favorites.  

http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/

Of course, you aren't far from Mt. Saint Helens as well -- that is quite amazing.  Canon Beach is a bit too far but it's very pretty as well.
Randy is right, the falls are really cool.  I hadn't thought about St. Helens, it isn't that far away, not sure about the weather in March.

Also if you like wine there are a number of wineries.  I am not a wine drinker, but I do know that Oregon Pinot Noir and Pinot Grie (sp?) are considered some of the best in the world.  Also Portland is renowned for it's micro-brew industry.  Not a beer drinker either, but there are a number of brew houses.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
Even though Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft Corp., is a billionaire, he has lost more than $12 billion in bad investments over the past decade, including $600 million he has poured into the Blazers and their arena since 1988 without realizing a dime of profit.

I think the bold about sums it up.  Poor decision making skills outside of his MS bubble.    Kind of hard to believe that the team wasn't making money in the early 2000s though.  The team was winning and I could have sworn people were packing that place at every home game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:23:36 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »

I think the bold about sums it up.  Poor decision making skills outside of his MS bubble.    Kind of hard to believe that the team wasn't making money in the early 2000s though.  The team was winning and I could have sworn people were packing that place at every home game.
There is a difference between profit and positive cash flow.  I would be stunned if the Blazers didn't have many seasons with a positive cash flow.

AA Mil