Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas answers another prayer  (Read 1055 times)

NBA GMs

Isaiah Thomas answers another prayer
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:35:57 PM »
Antonio Davis has a contract that expires at the end of this season.  We all know the Knicks have the highest payroll in NBA.

Waste of space Jalen Rose will extort 15 million this season and 17 million next season.  So Thomas trades for him.

Larry Brown is down with it 100%. :eek2:   ""He's exactly what we need," Brown said. "I think it's a no-brainer. I haven't seen a drop-off in his game. We don't have enough ball-handlers, guys that have experience back there."

Now granted the Knicks do pick up a 1st round pick via the Nuggetts thru Toronto.

I need to smoke some crack to understand this.  Unless the "undisclosed amount of cash" Toronto is sending Isaiah is = to Roses entire salary. :nod:

This espn writer John Hollinger's sums it up well:

If there's a player who is the antithesis of what Knicks coach Larry Brown is about, it's Jalen Rose. Brown likes his players mentally tough and defensive-minded; Rose is completely offensive-minded and bristles at the slightest suggestion that he might no longer be a star. The two were paired briefly in Indiana and mixed about as well as peanut butter and tacos. Brown grew incensed by Rose's defensive lapses and banished him to the pine, and Rose got upset.
Oddly enough, this pattern later repeated itself when Rose played for Thomas in Indiana, which is why I didn't expect to see Rose turn up in New York.

Incidentally, Antonio Davis, now a Raptor for the second time, may agree to a buyout with Toronto, and if so one imagines he'll eventually land back home in Chicago.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 01:27:40 AM »
Antonio Davis has a contract that expires at the end of this season.  We all know the Knicks have the highest payroll in NBA.

Waste of space Jalen Rose will extort 15 million this season and 17 million next season.  So Thomas trades for him.

Larry Brown is down with it 100%. :eek2:   ""He's exactly what we need," Brown said. "I think it's a no-brainer. I haven't seen a drop-off in his game. We don't have enough ball-handlers, guys that have experience back there."

Now granted the Knicks do pick up a 1st round pick via the Nuggetts thru Toronto.

I need to smoke some crack to understand this.  Unless the "undisclosed amount of cash" Toronto is sending Isaiah is = to Roses entire salary. :nod:

This espn writer John Hollinger's sums it up well:

If there's a player who is the antithesis of what Knicks coach Larry Brown is about, it's Jalen Rose. Brown likes his players mentally tough and defensive-minded; Rose is completely offensive-minded and bristles at the slightest suggestion that he might no longer be a star. The two were paired briefly in Indiana and mixed about as well as peanut butter and tacos. Brown grew incensed by Rose's defensive lapses and banished him to the pine, and Rose got upset.
Oddly enough, this pattern later repeated itself when Rose played for Thomas in Indiana, which is why I didn't expect to see Rose turn up in New York.

Incidentally, Antonio Davis, now a Raptor for the second time, may agree to a buyout with Toronto, and if so one imagines he'll eventually land back home in Chicago.
Collecting expiring contacts are good if they help get your payroll down, so you can improve your team, by signing a high level FA or 2.  Thomas though collects them, believing at some point in the future he will be able to trade one for a good player.  Just as they are about to expire he trades them for another one that expires in a couple of years.  He never actually trades one for a good player, like the Pistons did for Sheed.  Yea he got a first round pick out of the deal, but he gave up 2 unprotected to get Davis and Curry in the first place, so he is still down #1 picks, and he has a big contract extended out for a couple more years.

It's like taking candy from a baby.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
How many franchises does Isiah get to screw up before the league figures out he is clueless.  I need to get onto that money train....I couldn't do any worse than Thomas.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 10:36:56 PM »
It's like taking candy from a baby.

:lol: :rofl:  

Isiah Thomas' handling of the Knicks has gone from downright idiotic, past absurdly ludicrous, and into the criminally negligent.  

How can the owners of the Knicks abide this utter hornswaggling.   :mellow:

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:48:49 AM »
Yep.

But why is Larry Brown going along with this?  I think Browns contract includes veto powers on trades.  Not only going along but saying "This is just what we needed." :eek2:  

guest-koast

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »
Yep.

But why is Larry Brown going along with this?  I think Browns contract includes veto powers on trades.  Not only going along but saying "This is just what we needed." :eek2:
Ever think that Larry Brown realizes that he is never going to coach this team anywhere so he is going to continue to OKAY deals like this so when it is all said and done Isiah can take all the heat?

Can't wait for the Stephon Marbury for Chucky Atkins deal to come through the pipes.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 07:01:57 PM »
I think Larry wants Isiah's job. I'm sure he would have no problem is Isiah got fired.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:33:57 PM »
I feel VERY sorry for the GM who has to take over for Isaiah -- this situation is far worse than the situation that Whitsitt left Portland in (did you guys hear the rumor that Whitsitt is being considered for GM in Toronto?  :eek3: )

Isaiah DOES have some young talent -- but he has taken on FAT contracts with too many years left -- it is going to hurt NY for years and years and years!