Author Topic: Team Ball vs Stat Ball  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:12:33 AM »
"We feel as though we have five superstars," Detroit's Richard Hamilton said. "If we want one guy to go out there and average 30, we can do that. But we know what we want at the end, a championship, and we know one guy can't guard five guys."

Kobme had 39 on 12-28 shooting, excuse me a perfect 12-12 with 16 offensive rebounding opportunities given to his teamates along with 14 FTAs.  He should take over the league lead on those soon too.

Guest_Randy

Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:52:15 AM »
Reality,

Detroit HAS the best TEAM in basketball right now -- but let's actually look at a couple of things:

1)  Hamilton makes the comment that you so love but actually launched only FIVE less shots that Kobe.  (Kobe 28 shots; Hamilton 23 shots; Sheed 21 shots)

2)  Kobe shot 42% -- definately not a great percentage -- but Hamilton shot 39% (yet NO comments showing disdain for Hamilton's shooting -- simply for Kobe's -- hmm).  In fact, the ONLY perimeter player who shot a better percentage was Prince.
       Billups - 20%
       Hamilton - 39%
       Prince - 50%
       Sheed - 42% (not just a perimeter player but shot the same % as Kobe)
       Odom - 40%
       Parker - 33%
       Cook - 33%
       Sasha - 50% (2 of 4)

Kobe didn't have a great game but it was against a great offense -- and the Lakers obviously made the Pistons (with the exception of Big Ben, Prince and McDyess) work VERY hard!  The Pistons did this against the best team in basketball -- lost by 9 points -- pretty good considering that the Pistons have beaten SA TWICE by 15 points!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:19:21 AM »
Randy Randy Randy... don't you know there is only ONE person on this board that gloats over every Laker loss, blames it on Kobe, despite them playing the BEST defensive squad I've seen in years, and finds a way to critisize and denigrate any Laker success, basicaly just hates constantly? No compliments, no props, unless there is a back-handed slap to go along with it, nothing positive ever, just hate, no obejectivity ever, just hate. Laker fans, and all the other fans on this board give props where props are due, compliment when compliments are due, aknowledge an opposing teams strength along with pointing out their weakness, in short even with the Kobe bashing that went on here last week, almost everyone still managed to give props for an awesome performance.

I wonder how many here will come in and totally bash the ball-hogging 44 point performance of Lebron James yesterday. That jerk blocks a shot, and instead of generously passing the ball on a clear fastbreak opportunity, he takes the ball downcourt and dunks it himself! What a showoff creep! The balhog took 33 SHOTS, and managed only a miserable 7-12 from the stripe, where he wouldn't have been so many times if the selfish little puke hadn't held on to the ball so much!! HMMM, do I sound like anyone?

For those of you who don't recognize facetiousness (Texas residents and government employees  :D ) THAT was commentary on James was facetiousness, nice illustration of my point though huh?
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »
Laker Math Dan,

17-33 = 12-28
11 Rebs = 6 rebs
7 Assists = 3 assists.

rrrraaaauuugh.

Guest_Randy

Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 01:55:25 PM »
Reality, this isn't ANY math -- it's just plain hardcore facts -- something you RARELY bother yourself with.  Just look at the facts -- the person you are ranting about shot better than Rip, MUCH better than Billups, Odom, etc.

1) Hamilton makes the comment that you so love but actually launched only FIVE less shots that Kobe. (Kobe 28 shots; Hamilton 23 shots; Sheed 21 shots)

2) Kobe shot 42% -- definately not a great percentage -- but Hamilton shot 39% (yet NO comments showing disdain for Hamilton's shooting -- simply for Kobe's -- hmm). In fact, the ONLY perimeter player who shot a better percentage was Prince.
Billups - 20%
Hamilton - 39%
Prince - 50%
Odom - 40%
Parker - 33%
Cook - 33%
Sasha - 50% (2 of 4)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
Actually, Laker Fan Dan, *I* was commenting during that game that LeBron was starting to play selfish basketball.  LeBron made the comeback possible, but there were a few plays that I thought LeBron started to get foolish on.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 02:05:16 PM »
Reality, this isn't ANY math -- it's just plain hardcore facts -- something you RARELY bother yourself with.  Just look at the facts -- the person you are ranting about shot better than Rip, MUCH better than Billups, Odom, etc.

1) Hamilton makes the comment that you so love but actually launched only FIVE less shots that Kobe. (Kobe 28 shots; Hamilton 23 shots; Sheed 21 shots)

2) Kobe shot 42% -- definately not a great percentage -- but Hamilton shot 39% (yet NO comments showing disdain for Hamilton's shooting -- simply for Kobe's -- hmm). In fact, the ONLY perimeter player who shot a better percentage was Prince.
Billups - 20%
Hamilton - 39%
Prince - 50%
Odom - 40%
Parker - 33%
Cook - 33%
Sasha - 50% (2 of 4)
Randy,

I agree.  For that matter Kobe shot about as well percentagewise as the rest of the Lakers combined.  While you and Dan feel I am not being reverant enough to Kobe, my point is that team ball defeats starball.

As for Hamilton, it's all done within the offense.  He knows BigBen and co are going to offensively rebound many of his misses.  Its a fact.  Unlike the Lakers O rebounding, altho it was good yesterday and Mihm had 14 boards.

The Pistons even beat the Spurs at San Antone.  But that was with a gimpy SuperManu. :up:   We shall see.

Guest_Randy

Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
Yeah, Reality is NEVER going to rant on someone shooting 30+ times unless he doesn't like the player (we ALL know that is anyone in purple and gold).

As for James, he shot better than 50% from the field so I think, overall, you have to be pretty happy with his shot selection.  The rest of the team wasn't doing much when you look at their shooting percentages -- however, it wasn't shooting that allowed the Cavs to beat the Suns -- it was REBOUNDING!  The Suns actually shot the ball better from the field as well as the arch but the Cavs outrebounding them something like 15 or so boards.  That's the reason for the win.

As for LeBron stepping up -- great players HAVE to be willing to step up.  And there isn't a player who has ever played the game that hasn't put up an ill-advised shot -- even if your name is Joey V.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Team Ball vs Stat Ball
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 02:43:52 PM »
Yeah, Reality is NEVER going to rant on someone shooting 30+ times unless he doesn't like the player (we ALL know that is anyone in purple and gold).

Or if his gunning is contributing to a loss.  Continually.
My teams share the ball and I would prefer having no one shoot over 30 times.

However, if he is over 50% in a win, especially if he is well over 60%, shoot away.  30 or more.  Including Kobme.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:45:09 AM by Reality »