Author Topic: Shaq doesn't care...  (Read 1229 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shaq doesn't care...
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
Ed Palubinskas: "Shaq doesn't care"
by HoopsHype / January 5, 2006

I've seen Ed Palubinskas coaching free throw shooting and I know he can make a difference. Why aren't you working constantly with team after team?
– Tim Hicks, (Victoria, Canada)

Ed Palubinskas: My shooting expertise and scientific knowledge as to how a shot works is a very well-guarded secret, not unlike the Holy Grail. There have been so many so-called shot docs that I feel pro teams don't feel like they can help. But after 10 years in the NBA, Shaq was at 38 percent and why was I able to get him to 70 percent? My methods are powerful and real because you can't deny scientific principles or laws of nature. But I may be the next shooting coach for the San Antonio Spurs. I have an inside link here. Keep fingers crossed. It is so political and just hard to crack the shell to get in. It is quite difficult to make a presence. Plus I don't try very hard to hang around the league.

How was working with Shaquille O'Neal? Was it tough?
– Raul Torres (Madrid, Spain)

EP: He was a good student, although not motivated. He did all he had to do and no more. He doesn't care. Seeking greatness in shooting is hard mental and physical work. He is an emotional shooter. He only cares and hopes he can make them when he's missed a whole bunch or when the game is on the line. He can't figure that every single shot is big. He knows he is bigger than the game and does not want to be a true superstar like Jordan, who wants nary weakness in his game. Shaq improved about 30 percent while I worked with him for eight months. A Los Angeles Times full page article read "Shooting Phenom Saves Lakers Season." I earned an NBA ring for the effort, but not one jot or tittle of appreciation from Shaq ever. Sad but true. You go figure.

Who's the best and worst shooter in the NBA right now?
– Raul Torres (Madrid, Spain)

EP: The best shooters in the NBA are usually the ones with best form. The best free throw shooters are Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Stojakovic, Nowitzki... The worst shooters are those that hardly ever shoot. From the line, we have Ben Wallace from Detroit. Bo Outlaw was horrible. He was around 22 percent from the line. Wallace is around 50 percent. He needs help. The poor shooters have poor mechanics and they are unaware of the problems that haunt them.

How important is it to keep the elbow directly under the hand when jump-shooting? I find it a little awkward turning my elbow into my chest. Also, is it true that the long-range jump shot really depends on the legs?
– Robert Chen (Tainan, Taiwan)

EP: The ideal shot pocket is a couple inches above the forehead in front of the eyes. If you start your shot from around the chin or face it is hard to have a jump shot. My elbow is out a couple inches prior to the shot, but just before I pull the trigger above my head I move my elbow under the center of the ball. If the elbow is not under the center of ball it forces different fingers to do the directing of the ball in a straight line which is very important. My DVD on "Secrets to Perfect Shooting Principles" goes into real detail about this.

Part two of the question refers to the legs. You worry about the stuff that is not that relevant. Of course the legs always bend, etcetera. But it is the hand and finger strength that is responsible for the ball direction and distance. You never think of the legs when doing a jump shot. You better always think of the ball release mechanism of the hand and fingers That is where the accountability lies. If you don't know why you miss then you have no idea how to correct the next shot, which is the most important one.

What are your thoughts on the state of Australian basketball right now, particularly the national competition? Do you maintain any connection with Australia and the Boomers national program?
– Eric (Melbourne Australia)

EP: Australia is now finally as big as the world as far as size is concerned. But Australia is now falling into the same problem the U.S. has been for a long time. Now that they are bigger I must say that they are losing finesse, which refers to shooting and scoring ability. Bulk and size do not win games. Scoring does. I would like Australia to play more intense full-court stuff and run the ball in a more up-tempo game and put points on the board. The women are the same. They lack offensive skills and prowess, I feel.

When kids watch the NBA today, they see guys like Peja Stojakovic and Shawn Marion with these very unusual ways of shooting the ball, twisting and contorting their bodies into their shots. But when kids see this, they think because the shot goes in that it is the right way to shoot a basketball. Should kids adjust their form to those specific styles, or look at classic shooters like Wesley Person or John Stockton?
– Chris Palma (Staten Island, New York)

EP: First of all, unless you are anatomically built like your idol, it becomes difficult. Great shooting relies on acknowledgement and respect to scientific principles. The only reason I shoot at 99 percent all the time is because I refuse to detract from scientific principles which my DVD "Secrets to Perfect Shooting Principles" clearly portrays. Why would you ever want to miss? The greatest benefit could come from TV sportscasters and announcers when announcing ball games. The problem is they have little or no idea on why players miss when they do and subsequently they don't leave the viewer any critical info to benefit from. When you watch these players, it is very hard to duplicate another unless they can tell you what they are doing. Good luck on this. I recommend copying my technique. It is as close to perfect as it can be. Just look at my stats – 99 percent from the line for 20 years and 93 percent from the three-point line in all competitions. Who would you rather copy?

Do you believe that a player can significantly change his shot after around 18 years of age?
– Robert Wilson

EP: Shaq was 30 and I fixed him or improved him 30 percent. I will answer your question with a question. What percentage do you shoot? If you are happy with anything under 95 percent from the line, then stay there. Anyone not shooting this percentage has a shooter's disease or inefficiency, which needs serious attention. Depends on how good you want to be.

Some people believe that the three-point line has killed the mid-range game. What do you think?
– Anonymous

EP: No, I don't think the three-point line has killed the shorter shot at all. You need to be good from all spots. Period. I have no problems from any distance. Well, I only shoot 30 percent from half court, so I really do need to work from there.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

guest-koast

Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »
This guy is saying exactly what we all on this board  have been saying for years...

Shaq knows he is bigger than the game and only does enough to be considered good but never has and never will have the drive to be the perfect player.

I still think he is a superstar, just not the best superstar he could really be.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 12:24:37 PM »
Ed Palubinskas:

"My shooting expertise and scientific knowledge as to how a shot works is a very well-guarded secret, not unlike the Holy Grail."

contrasted with:

"My DVD on "Secrets to Perfect Shooting Principles" goes into real detail about this."

'A Los Angeles Times full page article read "Shooting Phenom Saves Lakers Season." '...Shaq was at 38 percent and why was I able to get him to 70 percent?

"Just look at my stats – 99 percent from the line for 20 years and 93 percent from the three-point line in all competitions."

Okay, it's a "well guarded secret" yet you have a DVD out, an LA times article in a Laker title year in which Shaq improved 30%, and you have been witnessed in competitions going 99% and 93% treys for years.
WOW, is this LA times article still on the wall of The Laker House?
Next obvious question is anyone seen his DVD?  Nevermind I'll get one.

"But I may be the next shooting coach for the San Antonio Spurs."  :hail:  if you are legit.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »
Ed Palubinskas:

"My shooting expertise and scientific knowledge as to how a shot works is a very well-guarded secret, not unlike the Holy Grail."

contrasted with:

"My DVD on "Secrets to Perfect Shooting Principles" goes into real detail about this."

'A Los Angeles Times full page article read "Shooting Phenom Saves Lakers Season." '...Shaq was at 38 percent and why was I able to get him to 70 percent?

"Just look at my stats – 99 percent from the line for 20 years and 93 percent from the three-point line in all competitions."

Okay, it's a "well guarded secret" yet you have a DVD out, an LA times article in a Laker title year in which Shaq improved 30%, and you have been witnessed in competitions going 99% and 93% treys for years.
WOW, is this LA times article still on the wall of The Laker House?
Next obvious question is anyone seen his DVD?  Nevermind I'll get one.

"But I may be the next shooting coach for the San Antonio Spurs."  :hail:  if you are legit.
Reality,

You have to admit that some industries are good ole boys clubs.  Once you'r in you're in for life despite you incompetence at the same time that same industry can keep out deserving entrants.

I don't know if this guys technique is as advertise but there is no denying he worked with Shaq and as such has first hand experience with SNaq and can attest to his attitude.  His opinion of SNaq is a carbon copy of what ALOT of us on this board have said over and over again durring and after Shaq's life as a Laker.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:13 PM »
[/QUOTE]
"But after 10 years in the NBA, Shaq was at 38 percent and why was I able to get him to 70 percent?"

In Shaqs 1st 10 years his lowest FT% was 48% 2 years straight with Orlando in 1995 and 96.  His highest ever was 62% in 2002-3.  Every other of the 8 years year he was in the 50s.

How does Free Throw dork justify these stats?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:36:09 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:42:39 PM »
"But after 10 years in the NBA, Shaq was at 38 percent and why was I able to get him to 70 percent?"

In Shaqs 1st 10 years his lowest FT% was 48% 2 years straight with Orlando in 1995 and 96.  His highest ever was 62% in 2002-3.  Every other of the 8 years year he was in the 50s.

How does Free Throw dork justify these stats? [/quote]
 Reality,

Come on!  It's Hollywood buddy, of course a little embelishment is par for the course.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 01:01:37 PM »

Reality,

Come on!  It's Hollywood buddy, of course a little embelishment is par for the course.
I guess so.  On that note I am out of SoCal for a few days.

Peace.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Shaq doesn't care...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »

Reality,

Come on!  It's Hollywood buddy, of course a little embelishment is par for the course.
I guess so.  On that note I am out of SoCal for a few days.

Peace.
If you're gone, then there will be peace in SoCal!   :D  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"