Author Topic: My opinion on why the Spurs will win it all  (Read 1095 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
My opinion on why the Spurs will win it all
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:15:57 AM »
Now before you jump on and go 'yea okay westkoast thinks they are good cuz they beat the mighty Lakers :rolleyes: ' here me out.  While it does have to do with something I noticed last night its not based on them beating a below average team :D

Last night the Lakers made a push to get closer to the Spurs who at the time had a 17 point league.  They started to play their hearts out and managed to drop the lead from 17 to about 5 before halftime.  Lakers were pressing hard, scrambling hard, just all around hustling for second chance points, and turnovers.  There is one and only problem and I feel just about every other team in the league is going to realize this....

THEY ARE TOO DEEP!!  I was happy to see my team play well but even I knew that they cannot keep it at that pace and still have enough energy to finish the game.

If you take a look at their starting 5 its one of the very best in the league and easily good enough to beat most of the teams in the league.  Teams really have to bust their you-know-what to get up on the Spurs but the question is how long can they do it?  The Spurs can run and gun all night because waiting on the bench is guys like Finley, Van Exel, Mohammed, Barry, Oberto, etc.  So say your 3 best players hustle until Parker, Duncan, and Manu look like slugs....well too bad cuz Pop can come with Finley and Van Exel.  Say you get Duncan into foul trouble?  You still have a backup who can alter shots and rebound and another backup who can score.  Not quite the same but its not like you are taking out Duncan and putting in Dudley.    Makes me tired even thinking about going up against them.  Thoughts?  I just dont see how this is fair LOL.  Aside from injuries to some key players I dont think any team in the league can out duel them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:26:34 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »
As a Spurs fan I hate to intercede in such a beautiful conversion....welcome to the light koast.   :up:

There is one team that I believe is deep enough, talented enough (both players & coaching) and actually hungry enough to push the Spurs in a seven game series....the Pacers.  Starting five is very similar to the Spurs:  Foster - rebounder/defender, JO - all star post player, Artest - lock down defender, Jackson - shooter and underrated defender, Tinsley - solid pg.  For the bench: Jasikevicius is becoming a dependable scorer, Croshere is finally living up to his contract, Pollard has always been a solid bench big man, Anthony Johnson is also a dependable backup.

But please don't let this sway any other of you dark side fans that wish to convert.   B)  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:46:47 PM »
As a Spurs fan I hate to intercede in such a beautiful conversion....welcome to the light koast.   :up:

There is one team that I believe is deep enough, talented enough (both players & coaching) and actually hungry enough to push the Spurs in a seven game series....the Pacers.  Starting five is very similar to the Spurs:  Foster - rebounder/defender, JO - all star post player, Artest - lock down defender, Jackson - shooter and underrated defender, Tinsley - solid pg.  For the bench: Jasikevicius is becoming a dependable scorer, Croshere is finally living up to his contract, Pollard has always been a solid bench big man, Anthony Johnson is also a dependable backup.

But please don't let this sway any other of you dark side fans that wish to convert.   B)
Convert? LOL ya right.  Not even if the Lakers moved to SA would I claim a team from Texas!!!  I just apperciate good, quality basketball and the Spurs happen to bring just that.

The Pacers are a scary team also and seem to match up well but the problem is with 3 of the guys you mentioned is what they have inside those thick skulls of theirs.  The Spurs have the poise and the expierence.  The Pacers do not have the expierence and have shown that they can be rattled up.  Jermaine, Jackson, and Artest all are hot heads.  Manu (who by the way was so cheap last night but played a good game), Parker, and Duncan are very level headed.

Alot of teams have to play at a very high level to get on top of the Spurs and stay at a higher level for 48 minutes.  The Spurs can afford to let players run themselves into the ground to match that intensity because they hae quality guys to jump right up off the bench.  What other teams can truly afford to lose their #2 and #3 guy (either to rest on the bench, fouls, or injury) yet not miss a beat??

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:43:26 PM »
Yet another example this week.  How many teams could afford to lose a player like Manu to a foot injury that could sideline him for a long time if it is severe and still be able to have someone who could make up exactly what he does for the team (Finley) ??

Bastards  :D