Author Topic: Lawmaker, Cardinals fan, wants to tax umpires  (Read 1183 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lawmaker, Cardinals fan, wants to tax umpires
« on: November 04, 2005, 01:05:27 AM »
Associated Press
Major League Baseball News Wire

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A state lawmaker and Cardinals fan says umpires should pay for what he sees as bad calls made during the playoff series in which St. Louis lost to the Houston Astros.

Rep. Caleb Ostrander wants to expand the state athlete and entertainer tax to cover officials such as umpires and referees. The tax is charged to out-of-state residents who earn money in Missouri while performing in such events as baseball games and concerts. The revenues are supposed to go to the arts, public libraries and other cultural programs.

Mr. Ostrander said his idea grew out of his frustration with umpires in the NL championship series. But he also contends that it is logical to tax the officials affecting a game's outcome, not just the athletes who play it.

"I think if they're not going to pay attention, they ought to at least pay taxes," Ostrander said Wednesday. "Seriously though, I think it's good public policy. Referees and umpires play a critical role in the outcome of this game and are part of the entertainment experience."

Ostrander said he doesn't know how much money would be generated by the tax but guessed it wouldn't reach the amount Missouri could have gained in tourism dollars if it hosted a World Series.

Skander Yalaoui, spokesman for Mr. Ostrander's office, indicated that Ostrander plans to file the tax legislation in December for consideration during the legislative session that starts in January.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:02:38 AM »
Anyone who thinks the Umps are responsible for the Cards loss to the Astros is in a different "Reality."  The Astros pitching beat the Cards -- no question.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »
Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A state lawmaker and Cardinals fan says umpires should pay for what he sees as bad calls made during the playoff series in which St. Louis lost to the Houston Astros.

Rep. Caleb Ostrander wants to expand the state athlete and entertainer tax to cover officials such as umpires and referees. The tax is charged to out-of-state residents who earn money in Missouri while performing in such events as baseball games and concerts. The revenues are supposed to go to the arts, public libraries and other cultural programs.

Mr. Ostrander said his idea grew out of his frustration with umpires in the NL championship series. But he also contends that it is logical to tax the officials affecting a game's outcome, not just the athletes who play it.

"I think if they're not going to pay attention, they ought to at least pay taxes," Ostrander said Wednesday. "Seriously though, I think it's good public policy. Referees and umpires play a critical role in the outcome of this game and are part of the entertainment experience."

Ostrander said he doesn't know how much money would be generated by the tax but guessed it wouldn't reach the amount Missouri could have gained in tourism dollars if it hosted a World Series.

Skander Yalaoui, spokesman for Mr. Ostrander's office, indicated that Ostrander plans to file the tax legislation in December for consideration during the legislative session that starts in January.
HAHA!!!   :D

That's some funny stuff, Kevin.  Although I must agree with Randy in "reality," for the Cards got their butts whupped by the 'Stros and their pitching.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 12:27:47 PM »
Associated Press

HAHA!!!   :D

That's some funny stuff, Kevin.  Although I must agree with Randy in "reality," for the Cards got their butts whupped by the 'Stros and their pitching.
Other than the names, it is actually true.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 12:28:55 PM »
LOL @ taxing the umps.  Lets tax lawmakers everytime they put a stupid law into place or drag their feet when action needs to be taken in the community they represent.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com