Author Topic: Spurses-Nuggets  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »
Liked the ball movement esp between GNob-Finley-Dunker.

Fav play was missed banker by GNob, rebound in middle of key by Dunkan.  Could have taken it to the rack for layup or dunk, instead hit wide open Finley for a jam.  SpursBall.

Rasho had a nifty turnaround j from 12 feet in the 1st qtr. :D

Denver was good for much of the game, wilted in crunchtime.  They need to get mentally better, they meltdown and get frustrated with plenty of time left.

Fabrico Oberto went 3-4 which Randy will point out is a Nazr like 75%.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:58:57 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:40 AM »
Game was excellent for a stretch between the 3rd and 4th quarter.  Great up-tempo, solid basketball between both teams.  Kinda reminded me of how the old 80s games were where both teams would continue to attack without stopping (of course it didnt last 48 minutes like it did then).

Missed the Finley domination in the last 4 minutes but I have it TiVO'd so I will be checking it out tonight while the crappy Lakers pre-game is on.  Funny they were talking about how effective Finley would be if he was only comming in for 10 minutes and getting a few shots a game.  Id say...uhh pretty well guys!

I knew youd bring up Oberto like he played SO much better than Nazr.  When in fact he did not.  You can look at the box score and say he scored 3 more points or you could look at the fact that the minute Nazr stepped onto the floor he pushed the momentum back in the Spurs favor with his rebounding, his drawing of a charge (which was a bad call he was in the cylinder), and him getting that 3rd foul on Kenyon Martin.

Last night was a perfect example of how expierence often overshadows talent.  The Nuggets have a load of talent, fresh legs, and athletic ability but the Spurs used their expierence and poise to overcome them later on in the game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 11:21:12 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
Game was excellent for a stretch between the 3rd and 4th quarter.  Great up-tempo, solid basketball between both teams.  Kinda reminded me of how the old 80s games were where both teams would continue to attack without stopping (of course it didnt last 48 minutes like it did then).

Missed the Finley domination in the last 4 minutes but I have it TiVO'd so I will be checking it out tonight while the crappy Lakers pre-game is on.  Funny they were talking about how effective Finley would be if he was only comming in for 10 minutes and getting a few shots a game.  Id say...uhh pretty well guys!

I knew youd bring up Oberto like he played SO much better than Nazr.  When in fact he did not.  You can look at the box score and say he scored 3 more points or you could look at the fact that the minute Nazr stepped onto the floor he pushed the momentum back in the Spurs favor with his rebounding, his drawing of a charge (which was a bad call he was in the cylinder), and him getting that 3rd foul on Kenyon Martin.

Last night was a perfect example of how expierence often overshadows talent.  The Nuggets have a load of talent, fresh legs, and athletic ability but the Spurs used their expierence and poise to overcome them later on in the game.
Beginning and end of my quote:  "Fabrico Oberto went 3-4 which Randy will point out is a Nazr like 75%."

Said zero about Fab being better then Naz and in fact said "Nazr like".

It was indeed reference to Randolphs looking at the box score and being so impressed with Nazrs 50% shooting.  If he watched he would know it was on dunks.

That being said, we agree that Nazrs D was a momentum changer last night.  Concur the charge he took looked bogus.  Poor replay by TNT also.  I like him better vs Denver then Fabs, altho Fabs was fine.  (When you Tivo watch the offensive foul call on Fab :rofl: .  Talk about a rookie burn call.)  Other nights vs other teams Fabs will be a better fit then Nazr.  Thats the beauty of the acquisition of Fabs, one that small brains have and will miss.

Agree the stretch was very good.  Melo was being very assertive.  Camby is a good rebounder.  KMart thinks he is a a badass but he wilted when Duncan D'd him up.  Najera is all over the place, great role player.  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:07:33 PM »
Everyone knows how much I hate agreeing with Reality....but....  :jk:

In all seriousness, Fabricio Oberto looked a heck of a lot better than I was expecting.  I still think the ceiling for him is an important role player and not a star in this league but man what a role player this guy will be.  I loved the play on the side where he got the ball dished it back to a cutting guard while pivoting his body to pop the defender.  The astute ref did call the foul on him but it was beautiful play, most refs will not catch that.  He had great rebounding presence and great form on the board, up the elbows would go, and under pressure he'd rap it up tight against his chest, fundamental.  His shot was nothing special but very effective and he got all his points within the flow of the offense.  I'll tell ya what, through one game, I'd say the Spurs have found themselves an awesome puzzle piece.

I can't really comment on Nazr as I didn't catch the portion of the game he played but from the box score, he seemed to have an efficient game in very limited time.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:15:17 PM »
I was surprised Rasho started the game...Pop had made mention of keeping Nazr as the starter.  Oberto looked good for being a new guy with only a few preseason games under his belt.  He won't be a star in the league but he will get some recognition as he plays for us.  they did a good job.  Loved how the new three rpoduced in thier own way last night.  Finley off the bench is scary.  It was also nice to see how the guys closed the gap on Denvers big lead in just a matter of minutes.  Pop had to tell them to stop playing like it was preseason, the guys come out and bang, we caught back up and then some.  Denver NEEDS to play boykins more than they do in my opinion, miller wasn't doing jack last night, Boykins got them back in the game for the most part with his quickness.  It's interesting how they say Denver will be our biggest competition in the West....I would have thought that would be Sactown....but after last nights beat down on them by the NO/OKC Hornets..I dont know about that now.... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:15:31 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 12:37:20 PM »
Game was excellent for a stretch between the 3rd and 4th quarter.  Great up-tempo, solid basketball between both teams.  Kinda reminded me of how the old 80s games were where both teams would continue to attack without stopping (of course it didnt last 48 minutes like it did then).

Missed the Finley domination in the last 4 minutes but I have it TiVO'd so I will be checking it out tonight while the crappy Lakers pre-game is on.  Funny they were talking about how effective Finley would be if he was only comming in for 10 minutes and getting a few shots a game.  Id say...uhh pretty well guys!

I knew youd bring up Oberto like he played SO much better than Nazr.  When in fact he did not.  You can look at the box score and say he scored 3 more points or you could look at the fact that the minute Nazr stepped onto the floor he pushed the momentum back in the Spurs favor with his rebounding, his drawing of a charge (which was a bad call he was in the cylinder), and him getting that 3rd foul on Kenyon Martin.

Last night was a perfect example of how expierence often overshadows talent.  The Nuggets have a load of talent, fresh legs, and athletic ability but the Spurs used their expierence and poise to overcome them later on in the game.
Beginning and end of my quote:  "Fabrico Oberto went 3-4 which Randy will point out is a Nazr like 75%."

Said zero about Fab being better then Naz and in fact said "Nazr like".

It was indeed reference to Randolphs looking at the box score and being so impressed with Nazrs 50% shooting.  If he watched he would know it was on dunks.

That being said, we agree that Nazrs D was a momentum changer last night.  Concur the charge he took looked bogus.  Poor replay by TNT also.  I like him better vs Denver then Fabs, altho Fabs was fine.  (When you Tivo watch the offensive foul call on Fab :rofl: .  Talk about a rookie burn call.)  Other nights vs other teams Fabs will be a better fit then Nazr.  Thats the beauty of the acquisition of Fabs, one that small brains have and will miss.

Agree the stretch was very good.  Melo was being very assertive.  Camby is a good rebounder.  KMart thinks he is a a badass but he wilted when Duncan D'd him up.  Najera is all over the place, great role player.
Oberto doesn't seem like he has the same defensive mentality as Nazr does.  That what Nazr does, he plays defense and sometimes gets easy put backs.  Ob on the other hand is just the opposite where it seems he is stronger in the offensive category and thats where he thrives.  That should work well for the Spurs when they need to switch those two out for defensive/offensive purposes.  Personally I like Nazr better so far.  Plenty of other guys on this squad can score....not alot of the guys on the team can rebound and alter shots like Nazr (in fact Id say only 2-3 can)

This team is incredibly stacked.  My boy NVE and Mike Finley are going to make noise for this team.  I might even have to become *GASP* southwestkoast.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Spurses-Nuggets
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
Who is a perfect fit to play alongside TD?  Oberto, with an offensive mindset or Nazr who exists on the court to play D, protect the basket and garner rebounds?  

Nazr played limited minutes due to recovering from an injury and having missed a great deal of time in the last week or 2 due to personal issues.  

However, Nazr is the perfect duo alongside of TD -- TD is ALWAYS going to be the focal point of the offense -- it's stupid not to make him that (keeping him as the focal point of the offense is what makes Manu and Parker look so good).  However, if you can provide defensive help -- a stopper in the middle to HELP TD on the defensive end, you can keep him a lot fresher and save him from foul trouble.  

Nazr is a perfect fit for the Spurs -- and Pop has already stated that he is the center of choice once he is healthy.  Getting Rasho some minutes (what did he play, 10?) just helps them shop him a little better -- my suggestion is trading him to some REALLY awful team who is going to get some GREAT top draft picks in the future (see Knicks or Toronto).  

Nazr isn't a great player -- he's just a very good defensive team player, very good shotblocker and very good rebounder.  Which is exactly what the Spurs want -- oh, yeah, he likes to run the rim as well and since the opposing teams big men are usually doubling TD, that's an easy shot for Nazr, Oberto or anyone else that plays alongside TD.

I didn't see last nights game and I've never stated that Nazr is going to be anything other than a very good center to play alongside TD.  Oberto is better as a back-up to TD -- of course, as long as Horry is on the bench, you'd be stupid to not play him when you need a win.  Horry is an underrated defender and he's definately a guy you want out there to shoot the ball with the game on the line.

When the Spurs netted Finley, the reaped the world (why is it that it's only a "gift" when a player like that signs with the Lakers?  hmmm) -- and he will be getting a great deal of Bowen's minutes -- unfortunately, he will pretty much take all of Barry's minutes as well.  The Spurs are DEFINATELY going to be well rested come playoff time -- and that may be all the break that the Spurs need against the Heat (who I see as their biggest obstacle assuming they are healthy to another ring).