Author Topic: they are like big kids...  (Read 999 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
they are like big kids...
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:20:09 PM »
Duncan gets an earful from teammates as camp opens in rain-soaked tropics

By CHRIS SHERIDAN

Updated: 7:01 p.m. ET Oct. 4, 2005
CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands - The charter plane carrying the defending NBA champions was inches away from landing on the island of St. Thomas when the razzing of Tim Duncan began.

Somebody had to take the blame for the rain-soaked sights the San Antonio Spurs were seeing from their windows, and a fuselage full of fingers began pointing toward the three-time finals MVP as the grief came raining down, too.

"I've already gotten a bunch, so I'm hoping it will clear up a bit," Duncan said Tuesday after the Spurs went through their first practice of training camp and began incorporating three key new pieces while beginning their quest to become repeat champions.

On Sunday alone, as much as 5 inches of rain fell on Duncan's nearby home island of St. Croix. Monday brought more of the same, and the total on St. Thomas was 3 inches and counting by the time the Spurs filed off their bus Tuesday at the University of the Virgin Islands.

The sun briefly peaked through the clouds by the time coach Gregg Popovich called it an afternoon, giving a boost to the players' spirits as they looked ahead to getting a closer view at the place Duncan called home until Hurricane Hugo ravaged the islands in 1989.

This is Duncan's first trip back in more than two years, and islanders on St. Thomas and St. Croix are ecstatic to be graced by the presence of the islands' biggest celebrity.

"Spurs On The Rock" screamed the headline in one local tabloid, and a sign outside the university welcomed "Tim and the Spurs" _ one more piece of ammo to fuel the mock hostility directed at Duncan.

"I got a lot of (grief) for that, too," Duncan said. "Trust me, I'm getting my share."

It was unclear whether Duncan was being heckled for his hair, too, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he was. Sporting a medium-length afro and a full, scruffy beard, Duncan said he hadn't seen a barber since before the Spurs defeated the Detroit Pistons in Game 7 of the finals for their third title in seven years.

"I actually hope to look like Manu (Ginobili)," Duncan said. "Whenever I get it long enough I'm going to put some straightener in it and hope I can run around and whip it around like he does."

Duncan became a father during the offseason when his wife, Amy, gave birth to a daughter. And while Duncan wasn't particularly insightful in discussing the joys of parenthood, his mood was otherwise much more jovial than usual as he shared his thoughts on having the Spurs' reloaded roster pay a visit to his homeland.

The Spurs added NBA veterans Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel along with Argentine center Fabricio Oberto, a gold medalist at the 2004 Olympics, while losing only one minor player, guard Devin Brown.

With the Phoenix Suns having lost two of their best shooters, and with Finley having departed the rival Dallas Mavericks, there's a sense around the league _ Magic Johnson has already proclaimed "It's over" _ that San Antonio might have a legitimate chance at a 70-win season.

No other team has anywhere near the depth on their 12-man roster, an embarrassment of riches that Popovich will try to manage without ruffling egos. The coach is already set on his starting five _ Duncan, Nazr Mohammed, Bruce Bowen, Tony Parker and Ginobili _ and the bench includes centers Oberto, Rasho Nesterovic and Sean Marks, forwards Robert Horry and Finley, and guards Van Exel, Brent Barry and Beno Udrih.

"I'll be checking minutes more than I've ever checked before, and making sure that people are getting enough playing time. Some nights, that'll be a real tough thing to do," Popovich said.

Popovich also emerged from the summer well-rested after spending the past three offseasons with the U.S. Olympic team. He took numerous three-day trips to various American cities, sometimes with his wife and sometimes alone, and pointed to the unexpected signing of Finley as the highlight of his three-month vacation.

The often surly coach was also in the best of moods, recalling with a laugh his last visit to the U.S. territories where cars drive on the left side of narrow roads that twist at impossible angles through the islands' mountainous terrain.

"When I came down to St. Croix to see Timmy eight or nine years ago, nobody said a word to me (about driving on the left side)," Popovich said. "I got my rental car and I went out on the road, and I was gesticulating at like 10 people before I realized I was the jerk."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »
ahhh.  No ego trips.  No wasting a bunch of time deciphering what Phil Jackson did or didn't say. :rolleyes:   Pop not waiting to get permission from his wife to visit another city.

It's all so....

Real. :D  

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:38:34 PM »
They drive on the wrong side of the road there?  I thought that was just a British affliction.

In England, very road has an arrow at each intersection to make sure people stay to the right.  This proves that it's unnatural!  

Spurses are going to the finals, probably for a showdown with Miami.  If Shaq is healthy, they win.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 02:47:31 PM »
They drive on the wrong side of the road there?  I thought that was just a British affliction.

In England, very road has an arrow at each intersection to make sure people stay to the right.  This proves that it's unnatural!  

Spurses are going to the finals, probably for a showdown with Miami.  If Shaq is healthy, they win.
Shaq SAYS he is stronger...the photo thought looks like he got back to "fat-Shaq" size again.  we'll see if he can put his money where his mouth is.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:14:15 PM »
Duncan to Gnob to Parker to Finley back to Dunkan who thunderjams over Shaq.

This will help debunk the "Shaq is so much better then Duncan" fiction.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 03:49:57 PM »
ahhh.  No ego trips.  No wasting a bunch of time deciphering what Phil Jackson did or didn't say. :rolleyes:   Pop not waiting to get permission from his wife to visit another city.

It's all so....

Real. :D
 :rofl: It's the difference between a cowtown and tinseltown, Reality!  Who is out taking photos of TD?  Manu?  

Now look at who is taking pictures at LA's training camp:

HONOLULU -- Although coach Phil Jackson plans to reinstitute his much-beloved triangle offense with his return to the Lakers' bench, the most noticeable change in the team this season will be its defense.

The Lakers are fully committed to actually playing some.

What effect that dedication has on last season's fourth-worst scoring defense, with a roster currently boasting Wafers and Smushes and Bobbitts, remains to be seen. But if the Lakers are as adept at protecting the hoop as they are the relationship between Kobe and Phil, then consider them a lock to make the playoffs.

With Jackson doing everything from rewriting the just-released paperback version of his book, "The Last Season" -- according to a Lakers beat writer who snagged a copy -- to saying he returned, in part, to save Kobe Bryant from unfair criticism, the Zen Master is building a moat of good will around his new buddy. If initial reports are accurate, Jackson should have renamed the paperback, "What I Meant to Say Was ..."

The Lakers are again chock-full of Hall of Fame types. On the coaching staff, that is.

In any case, Bryant is meeting him halfway, saying Monday at the Lakers' media day that he "forgave" Phil and adding Tuesday that he relishes working again "with one of the greatest coaches of all time. Ultimately, we've been through so many battles, most successfully, there's an inner respect there."

No matter what they say, they are sure to be asked for updates at every turn. Chip Schaefer, the Lakers' athletic performance director -- that, apparently, is what you call a former athletic trainer who is still on the staff and carries a clipboard but doesn't tape ankles -- joked that the reporters walking in for post-practice interviews looked like the cast from "Reservoir Dogs." He wasn't that far off. One of the first questions fired at Jackson by a Honolulu TV reporter: "So is Kobe Bryant coachable?"

Jackson laughed. "I don't know, I didn't talk to him specifically," he said. "But his team is the one that won the first drill out there."

That, of course, could be extrapolated into a tremendous New York Post-style headline: Phil Not Talking to Kobe! And somewhere along the line, if it all remains this sedate, it probably will be. For now, though, the beating that each of them has taken and the absence of expectation has created an -- dare I say it -- upbeat mood among the purple-and-gold. Everyone, from Kobe and Phil on down thoughtfully answered any and all questions through the first two days. It doesn't sound like much, but considering how haughty the team started two years ago with the Kobe-Shaq-Payton-Malone foursome and how off-kilter everyone seemed last year between Rudy Tomjanovich's free-wheeling system and the weight-of-the-world aura around Kobe, the Lakers are almost enjoyable to be around.

"This, without question, is the best it's been in years," said longtime L.A. sportscaster Jim Hill.

The mood tightens with the first practice, but the hunger is evident. Jackson has decided to focus on defense, with plans to apply full-court pressure as much as possible. That's the cure for a team that doesn't have enough solid one-on-one defenders or great shotblocking -- make the opposing offense eat up clock getting into its sets. It requires precise execution, though, which is why Jackson stops after every mistake and calls for a do-over.

"Two-thirds of the practice was defensive mechanics," Lakers center Chris Mihm said. "I just haven't seen that in a while in this league. It's going to create accountability and intensity. I already know this is going to be the most valuable training camp I've ever had."

â€œ It's going to be tough for us, an uphill battle. But if we work hard and defend every night, it's going to be a lot better than anyone expects. ”
  — Lakers G Aaron McKie

The oddest part is how star-free the roster is and how that had absolutely no impact on the promotional blitz of Monday's media day. With six TV backdrops and the recumbent lights and cameras, the Lakers' El Segundo practice floor looked like a movie set.

In one corner, Sasha Vujacic was being told by a TV producer to look down "and then when I say, look up, but don't smile." Next to him, rookie guard Will Conroy was holding the ball out as if frozen in mid-dribble on a slowly rotating platform. Next to him, Smush Parker said into a camera: "Be a healthy kid. Eat right and exercise. I did!" Another rookie guard, Von Wafer, peered into another camera and said: "Happy holidays from the Lakers and FSN West!" On the other side of the gym, Luke Walton was being spoon-fed a paragraph of Spanish: "Todos Los Partidos . . ."

Aaron McKie, an 11-year veteran, had never seen anything like it. "This is like theatrics," he said. "They've got me reading things. I'm a basketball player, not an entertainer. But I guess this is L.A."

It's what made Rudy T's switch to an up-tempo style so attractive last season. The Lakers were barely above .500 before his health forced him to resign, but every night was an entertaining roller-coaster. Jackson's style will be a lot less flashy and, combined with few stars, it remains to be seen if Hollywood will pay Staples Center prices for that kind of product.

The no-nameness of these Lakers is underscored at the first practice session by the Hall-of-Fameness of the extended coaching staff. While Laron Profit is dribbling into trouble against a full-court trap and Tony Bobbitt -- I believe it was Bobbitt, anyway -- is turning the ball over in the backcourt, Scottie Pippen, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Craig Hodges (3-point contest record holder and championship-ring bearer) watch from the sidelines. Even James Worthy, officially here as a member of the media (L.A. TV), gets into the act, showing Kobe several post moves.

McKie, who went to the 2001 Finals as part of a relatively anonymous 76ers' crew surrounding Allen Iverson, doesn't believe the number of stars determines a team's potential -- effort and cohesiveness do.

"It's going to be tough for us, an uphill battle," he says. "But if we work hard and defend every night, it's going to be a lot better than anyone expects."

That's not the kind of trailer that gets Brangelina or Bennifer II sitting courtside. Then again, maybe the Lakers are taking a break from the Spago life and going Esalen Institute on us for a while. If nothing else, it's a refreshing change.

At least Will Conroy and Von Wafer seem to think so.

The Lakers aren't even expected to have a great season and it's a media circus -- a lot different from the boring life of the Spurs players.  

Of course, most true fans know that rebuilding is part of the NBA and basketball life -- bandwagoneers, of course, are clueless on this concept merely moving on to the next frontrunner predicted for a title!

Duncan to Gnob to Parker to Finley back to Dunkan who thunderjams over Shaq.

This will help debunk the "Shaq is so much better then Duncan" fiction.

Umm, can you name ONE time that Duncan has EVER "thunderjammed" over Shaq?  TD's game is one of finesse -- not of power!

As for the
"Shaq is so much better then Duncan" fiction
comment, isn't it funny -- you can't find anyone who supports the idea that TD is more dominant than Shaq, so you have to make quips about it.  The fact is that Shaq is going to go down as one of the most dominant players to have ever played the game -- and there is going to constant debates about who was more dominant -- Shaq or Wilt.  You won't EVER find TD thrown into that argument -- ever!