Author Topic: What NBA Players play for  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What NBA Players play for
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
Some for a title, most money, some playingtime, some who knows.

Theoretically, if an NBA team told an NBA player they would DOUBLE his current earnings from all things hoop related in exchange for player sitting on the bench 100% of the time, how many NBA players would take that offer?

By all things hoop related i include indorsments, since the AI/Shraq and others earn much more from endorsments then salary.  So, if NBA team says i will take your $60 mil a year total earnings and make it $120 (1.1-2.2, 2-4, 4-8, 20-40 etc) how many will SIT for double the cashe.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 12:09:11 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 03:49:09 PM »
Some for a title, most money, some playingtime, some who knows.

Theoretically, if an NBA team told an NBA player they would DOUBLE his current earnings from all things hoop related in exchange for player sitting on the bench 100% of the time, how many NBA players would take that offer?

By all things hoop related i include indorsments, since the AI/Shraq and others earn much more from endorsments then salary.  So, if NBA team says i will take your $60 mil a year total earnings and make it $120 (1.1-2.2, 2-4, 4-8, 20-40 etc) how many will SIT for double the cashe.
Not very many.  Aside from the fame and the money these are all guys who played basketball their whole lives.....AND LOVE IT!  They want to compete and they want to play basketball.  There is a certain rush when playing a sport in a league that you cant get from spectating.

You also forgot one thing some of these guys play for, which is the fact that they are very competitive by nature.  Some people love to compete and that rush is something they look forward to.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »
What kind of a stupid question is this?  It is so foreign to reality as to be nonsensical.  Why would anyone be willing to pay someone to sit?

The NBA would become a joke if one team was allowed to pay an opponents player to sit, or make himself unavailable to play, and that is the only situation where it would be possible.  

:huh:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:04:19 PM »
What kind of a stupid question is this?  It is so foreign to reality as to be nonsensical.  Why would anyone be willing to pay someone to sit?

The NBA would become a joke if one team was allowed to pay an opponents player to sit, or make himself unavailable to play, and that is the only situation where it would be possible.  

I take it you werent one of the "lurking" posters who email Reality and tell him hes a legend and how he makes the greatest posts of all time?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 04:08:23 PM »
What kind of a stupid question is this?  It is so foreign to reality as to be nonsensical.  Why would anyone be willing to pay someone to sit?

I take it you werent one of the "lurking" posters who email Reality and tell him hes a legend and how he makes the greatest posts of all time?
And just to set the record straight....a true Lurker doesn't send messages that can't be read by all.

And of course only Voice in the Wilderness can even come close to conceiving a post that would be nominated for greatest of all time.   :rolleyes:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »
:rofl:  Pardon me for attempting free thinking.

rickortreat

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:00:47 PM »
Why don't you try REALITY based thinking for a change?

A brain that doesn't connect with actual possibilities is a waste, the world is complex enough as it is, and idle speculation of this type is totally useless.

This is a misuse of a brain, it is NOT freethinking.

Sorry, but I call things the way I see them.  I suggest that you should rethink a great deal!  

guest-koast

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 09:20:03 PM »
What kind of a stupid question is this?  It is so foreign to reality as to be nonsensical.  Why would anyone be willing to pay someone to sit?

And just to set the record straight....a true Lurker doesn't send messages that can't be read by all.

And of course only Voice in the Wilderness can even come close to conceiving a post that would be nominated for greatest of all time.   :rolleyes:
I dunno...ive never seen poems/songs in Wilderness' posts.  I think that title goes to our sorely missed friend over from the msnbc boards.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:52:11 AM »
Not very many.  Aside from the fame and the money these are all guys who played basketball their whole lives.....AND LOVE IT!  They want to compete and they want to play basketball.  There is a certain rush when playing a sport in a league that you cant get from spectating.

You also forgot one thing some of these guys play for, which is the fact that they are very competitive by nature.  Some people love to compete and that rush is something they look forward to.
Not very many, but some would.

Rt and Lurker there is some good fiber available in many forms.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:52:13 AM »
I dunno...ive never seen poems/songs in Wilderness' posts.  I think that title goes to our sorely missed friend over from the msnbc boards.
He definately was CHIEF among many braves......

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:52:33 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues