Author Topic: Amnesty Comes to a Close  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Amnesty Comes to a Close
« on: August 16, 2005, 11:47:15 AM »
We had teams who thought with their hearts, teams who thought about their cash, and teams who didn't want to pay for people no longer on the team.  All in all, 18 teams saved 212 million dollars in tax relief.  But don't cry for the players, they are all still guaranteed their money and now they get to sign on with teams they like who have a chance at winning.  Let's take a look see at who some of these "amnesty" players are and what they're up to.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First let's start with players who have long since been waived or released but continued to count against the cap and tax for teams:

Alonzo Mourning (Toronto) - likely to comeback as backup to Shaq in championship run.

Vin Baker (Boston) - Hopefully not drinking his problems away in Houston.

Derrick Coleman (Detroit) - Lost in Walla Walla, somewhere

Wesley Person (Miami) - Last I heard he was in Denver, any word, anyone?

Eddie Robinson (Chicago) - I don't think he's in the league anymore?

Howard Eisley (Phoenix) - Gone back to where he was most productive, Utah.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next lets visit some of the players let go at the deadline.  Some were injured, some old, most just bad.

Fred Hoiberg (Minnesota) - A crying shame for a guy who really gives it all he's got.  Bad Break with that injury, if he comes back, he's a solid backup for anyone in my book.  

Ron Mercer (New Jersey) - Why teams continue to give actual legal tender for this man's services is completely beyond me.  

Calvin Booth (Milwaukee) - Bum.

Troy Bell (Memphis) - Bust.

Clarence Weatherspoon (Houston) - Tries hard but age has taken a toll.

Aaron McKie (Philadelphia) - I believe this guy can still contribute somewhere.  

Jerome Williams (New York) - Probably the biggest surprise seeing as how the "Allan Houston Rule" wasn't used on Allan Houston.  Jerome has said he might stay with New York in a different capacity (Scout, commentator, etc.).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the players who can still contribute at a significant level or players who have already secured their futures.  

Derek Anderson (Portland) - This guy has done just about everything he could to absolutely plummet his value during his time in Portland.  But lest we forget, he is a very capable scorer (Cavs, Clips, Spurs), I think a team with rock solid foundation players who need an extra scoring punch off the bench can make good use of DA.

Doug Christie (Orlando) - Seems like Doug has found a home in Dallas replacing a fellow amnesty player.  Known for his perimeter defense, should be welcomed with open arms by Avery Johnson who has shouldered the monumental responsibility of trying to teach defense to the Mavs, good luck Ave.  And Avery, at leat you got a 2-for-1 deal, cuz Jackie Christie is joining the team, sugah.  (pssst....Dallas, I'd a kept your other player)

Brian Grant (Los Angeles Lakers) - I believe each and every bone in this man's body aches, still doesn't stop him from banging with the big boys picking up hustle points every opportunity he gets.  Has secured a place in Phoenix, they sure didn't waste any time replacing Steven Hunter.

And for the biggest Amnesty prize of them all, Michael Finley.  Ironically, perhaps the team who benefitted the most financially (51.8 million), got the worst deal in this whole provision out of every team listed on here.  While certainly in decline the assets Michael Finley brings are too numerous to count, here is but a few: Defense, Outside Shooting, Rebounding, Leadership, Character, Hustle, Clutch.  Few players I've witnessed truly have the entire package as a player and teammate and I've known this since the 1994 Goodwill Games in St. Petersberg when he outplayed fellow USA teammates with far greater fanfare: Chauncey Billups, Shawn Respert, and Cherokee Parks.  Whichever team lands this gem should count itself lucky.  
The amnesty player I saved for last really isn't an amnesty player.  He let the team use him as one to help them financially, team President Donnie Walsh said it was his last assist to the team.  That player is Reggie Miller.  Love him or hate him, Reggie should be considered one of the most special players of the modern era.  Few players in NBA history have lasted their entire career with one single team, basketball icons Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Karl Malone, and Michael Jordan couldn't manage it.  New teammates, new coaches, new systems, same Reggie.  At his advanced age, I was shocked to see what he was *still* capable of when O'Neal, Artest, and Jackson were suspended.  He played the game with an uncommon passion that helped lead the 1996 and 2000 USA Dream Teams to gold and was the foundation player that transformed Indiana from also-ran to perennial powerhouse.  Thanks for the memories Reggie.      

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Amnesty Comes to a Close
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:36:30 PM »
Boy do I concur Skander, Reggie inspired passions both for and against, I had nothing but admiration and respect for Miller. Yeah, he played dirty, his little foot kick to draw the foul fall away jumper was borderline, but like the Jazz illegal moving screen pick and roll, just subtle enough that he got away with it almost all the time, just like every single other player would do if they could get away with it. He truly was one of the greatest pure shooters I have ever seen.

I know a lot of people really hate him, but I think it is based more on jealous rage over his ability destroy an opponent from outside and from the stripe than anything else.

Now that he's retired, maybe he'l get his teeth fixed.  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:36:57 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Guest_Randy

Amnesty Comes to a Close
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »
Hey, Reggie is a GREAT shooter -- but does that make him a great basketball player?  The guy could shoot the lights out -- and often did it during clutch time but players shut him down -- the difference between a player like Larry Byrd and Reggie Miller, IMO.  I like the fact that he stayed on one team his whole career too -- but that's not enough to put him in the HOF!

Anyone else think that Dallas is going to pay for dropping Finley?  The let Nash go and they slipped some (only Dirk kept them from slipping more) -- now they drop Finley?  I think they will miss his leadership -- as well as his play on the court!  I see him mentioned for SA -- I can't see that one happening -- they have Brent Barry already backing up the 2 spot and Finley knows that.  Miami and Phoenix would BOTH be excellent choices -- Phoenix could offer a starting spot for Finley and he could improve their defense in the backcourt -- Miami could also use Finley by moving Wade to point -- I see Finley in either Miami or Phoenix.  However, since Phoenix is in the same conference as Dallas?  That might be an extra incentive.

I hope Grant can stay healthy enough to provide some quality back-up minutes in Phoenix.  He has been expected to shoulder far too great a load both in Miami as well as LA (well, he didn't but I think they hoped he would).  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Amnesty Comes to a Close
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »
Randy,

Oh, *I* think Dallas is going to pay *BIG* *TIME* for releasing Finley.  Let this guy go to DENVER and see what happens!  Keep in mind, Finley was one of the few guys on the 2002 WCB team that George Karl *LOVED*.

Reggie Miller - WOW.  I'm really saddened by this because it means FOR CERTAIN that Reggie isn't going to be donning the Pacer uniform this season.  Oh, yeah, he retired;  but I had hopes that sometime around All-Star Game time, he'd rejoin the team for the stretch run.  Miller's loss is going to hurt Indiana more than most people think.

Brian Grant - HOORAY!  Phoenix gets a classy guy to do the dirty work.  If Phoenix gets Finley, they could end up moving up the list of teams I really want to watch....

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Amnesty Comes to a Close
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 05:30:23 PM »
They were already a fun team to watch, add Finley and Phoenix is must see TV.
Dan