Author Topic: Nobody wants a center  (Read 708 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nobody wants a center
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:48:07 AM »
Zydrunas Ilgauskas is Unrestricted, yet according to ESPN is not getting even a sniff from anyone other then the Cavs.  7 foot 3, a consistent 17ppg and 8 boards, can play well away from the hoop.  I would think in the centerless NBA he would at least get some looks.

Spurs won't get anyone to touch RashaNests contract.  That would get them over halfway to Zs contract.  Finally move Dunker over to PF.

Deke Mutumbo can be had for about a mil again, i think.  What a steal considering what he contributed to the Rockets.  I think he's got another year in him.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Nobody wants a center
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 11:03:59 AM »
Given that the Cavs can exceed the cap to keep Ilgauskus, I can understand why people don't think they can get him.  I'm sure a lot of teams would *LIKE* to have him...it's just that he's cost-prohibitive.  There are other centers out there that are more budget-friendly.

Mutombo is a back-up kind of player - and a one-dimensional one, at that.  Expect him to go to an Eastern Conference contender...assuming there is such a thing in a place other than Detroit and Miami.  There, he's six fouls to use against Shaq.  I'm guessing that the West will have smaller line-ups, with lots of PF's seeing time at C - ala Phoenix.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nobody wants a center
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:19:18 AM »
Given that the Cavs can exceed the cap to keep Ilgauskus, I can understand why people don't think they can get him.  I'm sure a lot of teams would *LIKE* to have him...it's just that he's cost-prohibitive.  There are other centers out there that are more budget-friendly.

Mutombo is a back-up kind of player - and a one-dimensional one, at that.  Expect him to go to an Eastern Conference contender...assuming there is such a thing in a place other than Detroit and Miami.  There, he's six fouls to use against Shaq.  I'm guessing that the West will have smaller line-ups, with lots of PF's seeing time at C - ala Phoenix.
Yes Joe but in a league that pays Snoop Spreey Spreewell 14 million a year on and on, i would think a lot of teams would at least offer Z a contract.

Instead there is (was) a bidding war for Ray Allen.  That is understandable.
Mini bidding wars for Joe Johnson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, etc.  Not that they are bad, but they are not Centers.  Greg Ostertag getting 5 mil a year?

Center is generally the key postion in the NBA.  I would think Z is at the top for available UFAs or FAs.  Would think a team in pursuit of a title would be willing to fork out some bucks for him, given the bucks that are being forked for these other guys.  Rasho Nesterovic getting 6 mil a year from the Spurs :huh:

Deke is indeed a backup, but a great one at that.  Rockets did great while he was on the floor in this years playoffs.  For a million bucks, he is a steal.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 11:38:49 AM by Reality »