Author Topic: Carlisimo interested in coaching the Wolves  (Read 694 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Carlisimo interested in coaching the Wolves
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:58:12 PM »
Carlesimo Wants To Coach T-Wolves
Lexis-Nexis; R. Alonzo - Pioneer Press
Friday, June 03, 2005

San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said Thursday he remains interested in the Timberwolves' head-coaching vacancy after what he called a good meeting with several team officials last week.

In his first public comments about the interview, held last Friday in San Antonio, Carlesimo told the Pioneer Press in a telephone interview that he hopes he will become the Wolves' next head coach.

Carlesimo said he believes Wolves owner Glen Taylor has built a franchise that is hungry for a championship and has a legitimate chance of competing for one. Carlesimo has helped the Spurs reach the NBA Finals after they eliminated the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday. He sees the same championship aspirations in the Wolves.

"I think these are two franchises that you can say that and be truthful and confident," he said.

Carlesimo was overlooked in recent years when head-coaching vacancies opened around the league. But his stock has risen this season as the Spurs have a shot at their second title in three years.

Carlesimo rose to prominence when he led Seton Hall to six NCAA tournament berths and an appearance in the 1989 national championship game.

He moved on to the NBA and was the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers (1994-97) and Golden State Warriors (1997-2000). He made three playoff appearances with Portland, losing in the first round each time before he was fired. He didn't reach the playoffs with the Warriors and was also let go.

Carlesimo has a career NBA head-coaching record of 183-222 in six seasons.

Carlesimo said he believes the Wolves will try to fill their coaching vacancy sooner rather than later. He said he has no further interviews planned with the Wolves. With the Finals set to start June 9, such a meeting could take some juggling.

The Wolves' top basketball executive, Kevin McHale, said at the end of the season that the Wolves don't need major changes to the roster. Carlesimo agrees. He said he believes taking over a veteran team such as Minnesota would be an advantage.

"I feel a lot better about that," he said. "I've been in both situations. In Portland, we had very much a veteran roster, although it was completely turned over by the end. I think we were the oldest roster in the league when we won a championship two years ago (with the Spurs). I don't see a lot of young teams still playing in May and June."

Carlesimo is perhaps best known for being choked by Latrell Sprewell during a practice in 1997 in Golden State.

Sprewell is a Wolves free agent who would have to take a pay cut from the $14.6 million he made this season to return to the team next season. Carlesimo's hiring would seem to all but rule out Sprewell's return.

Carlesimo said he has moved on from the incident for which they are linked.

"I don't think there's any question that we could work together," Carlesimo said of the possibility of being reunited with Sprewell in Minnesota. He said he believes Sprewell remains one of the top players in the league. "But that's not my call."

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.