Author Topic: C.O.Y.  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« on: May 25, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »
Lets say you can include the playoffs for Coach of Year.  Do you still like your original pick?  Stand by yer Man?  Still some time to go for D'Antoni.  Bwwaaa haa haa haaaaaaa.  Smithers, release the hounds.

http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.ph...o\.y\.

Randolph: D'Antoni
"how can you deny what D'Antoni has done in Phoenix -- when you take a team and lead them to the best in the league (and NOBODY picked this team to be this good preseason), IMO, you HAVE to give him COY. He deserves it more than anyone else, IMO."

Reality:  George Karl
"end of year 31-6 coma run"

Joe V: Nate McMillan
"Personally, I've got McMillan for COY. He worked his miracles in Seattle by picking up Danny Fortson. DANNY FORTSON! Allen and Lewis look better than they've ever looked, and Luke Ridnour, who couldn't "guard the chair I'm sitting in" as an announcer said on draft day, has turned into a solid point guard. The Seattle reserve core looks solid - and cohesive - as well. The fact that this team has accomplished anything makes McMillan my COY vote.

dabods: Rick Carlisle
"IMO the COTY is hands down Rick Carlisle. Hands down. I don't think COTY automatically has to go to one of the people with the best records.

When the year ends Artest will have missed 75 games. Jermaine O'neal 38. Stephen Jackson 33. And Jamaal Tinsley 42. Their 4 best players combining to miss 189 games, over half the season each on average. And yet, currently, they're 5 games above .500, running on the coattails of Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson and Austin Croshere."

SpursX3: D'Antoni
"D'Antoni should be coach of the year IMO, the suns REALLY turned it around this year to becoming a real major player in the league. You got to give them props on the record they earned this season."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
D'Antonio still deserves the COY IMO - it just makes beating his team all that much better!   :rofl:

No, seriously he deserves it.  I just wish he could admit you need defense to win the games that count.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 04:23:23 PM »
COY is a regular season award.  Much like every other award they give out to specific players.  If it was based off the whole season and playoff then Phil Jackson should be a 9 time COY.

Im still going to DA.  Not only is the team playing great ball but he has helped Amare grow into one of the best PFs in the league.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
I wasn't around for the original thread but would have picked George Karl.  Just the sheer turnaround Denver had undergone in every aspect of the game and every aspect of their attitude.  

Although Derek, put in those terms, Rick Carlisle did do wonders this year!

If there were such a thing in basketball than D'Antoni would rank only as a very good offensive coordinator, although I find his half-court offense SEVERELY lacking.  His defensive traps, rotation, and his players awareness are horribly bad to god awful.  But here's to stickin' with your style!!      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 06:11:01 PM »
I wasn't around for the original thread but would have picked George Karl.  Just the sheer turnaround Denver had undergone in every aspect of the game and every aspect of their attitude.  

I'm also going to stick with Karl.  Denver was two completely different teams before and after.
Their 4 straight tank job vs SAS was unimpressive.  But this is the Spurs.

Ditto hear you on Rick Carlisle.  51-49 Karl over Carlisle.

D'Antoni was dealt a blow when Joe J went down.  Q is a softie who brought his L.A. area softness with him.

Guest_Randy

C.O.Y.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 07:46:01 AM »
I wasn't around for the original thread but would have picked George Karl.  Just the sheer turnaround Denver had undergone in every aspect of the game and every aspect of their attitude. 

I'm also going to stick with Karl.  Denver was two completely different teams before and after.
Their 4 straight tank job vs SAS was unimpressive.  But this is the Spurs.

Ditto hear you on Rick Carlisle.  51-49 Karl over Carlisle.

D'Antoni was dealt a blow when Joe J went down.  Q is a softie who brought his L.A. area softness with him.
First, the series between Phoenix and SA isn't over yet.  Injuries are definately part of the game but the Suns lost a key ingredient in JJ.  Remember, he is 2nd in the league in 3pt % -- something the Suns DESPERATELY need to open up the floor on the offensive end (esp. since the Spurs are taking away the Suns fast break).  JJ shot almost 49% from the arch during the regular season and was scorching at 56% in the postseason until he was taken out of the series.  If Phoenix can get him back and he can shoot like he has been, he could change a lot for this series.  Q Richardson is great relief off of the bench but he doesn't provide the scoring impact that JJ does.  JJ's shooting will help keep the Spurs defense a little more honest.

As for D'Antoni as COY, only the regular season counts.  I still think that you have to see what he has done with Phoenix -- IMO, there was more expectation for Denver this year than there was for Phoenix.  Sure, Nash was part of that but I don't think anyone expected Phoenix to have the best record by the end of the year.  

Karl definately turned around the Nuggets but we all know the Nuggets were MAJOR underachievers by that point.  Most were thinking that the Nuggets would be better than they were last year and Karl just came and got them back on track.  While he deserves props, did he make them that much better than most thought they would be before the season began?  I don't think so.

Carlisle DOES deserve MAJOR props for what he has done in Indy.  This team was a sinking ship with all the suspensions and injuries they have dealt with and yet Carlisle kept them afloat.  

McMillan also deserves major props for his work in Seattle but the reason the Sonics did so well this year is because of ONE change in rule -- the handchecking rule.  No team has benefitted from this rule as much as Seattle has.  Ray Allen can't be stopped with this rule in place (Rashard Lewis also benefitted greatly from this rule) but when the playoffs hit, the rule was tossed out the window and Allen no longer could get his shot off as he has been used to during the regular season (same with Lewis).  I don't have a problem with the tough D of Bowen -- what I have a problem with is the fact that the league played the Sonics all year -- why bring in a rule that is only going to exist in the regular season?  If that rule hadn't been enacted, Seattle would have struggled to get into the playoffs.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
I'm still happy with my Nate McMillan pick, and the playoffs have justified the pick, in my eyes.  Playing San Antonio and your number 2 scorer plus your top reserve (arguably) go down, and the series still goes 6?  Acquiring only Danny Fortson, and getting Nick Collison back from injury?

My second pick would be Carlisle.  What he did in Indiana is nothing short of miraculous.

The only reason I would exclude Karl is because he wasn't there the whole year.  The job he did qualifies him, but the length of time doesn't.  However, if he continues the same way next year, he'll be in the field.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
C.O.Y.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:24 AM »
I'm still happy with my Nate McMillan pick, and the playoffs have justified the pick, in my eyes.  Playing San Antonio and your number 2 scorer plus your top reserve (arguably) go down, and the series still goes 6?  Acquiring only Danny Fortson, and getting Nick Collison back from injury?

My second pick would be Carlisle.  What he did in Indiana is nothing short of miraculous.

The only reason I would exclude Karl is because he wasn't there the whole year.  The job he did qualifies him, but the length of time doesn't.  However, if he continues the same way next year, he'll be in the field.
Fair points on all.

I'm certainly not pounding the table on GKarl.

McMillian-Carlisle-Karl in any order would satisfy me.

McMillian is getting serious looks from the Knicks and Cavs.  Not sure what to tell him.  Besides the other teams interest, he is waiting to see if Ray Allen signs.  Seems like Sea has one other key free agent yet unsigned......