Author Topic: Phil Jackson won't be going to Hou  (Read 751 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Phil Jackson won't be going to Hou
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »
Houston Rockets Extends Jeff Van Gundy’s Contract

Houston Rockets Owner Leslie Alexander announced today that he has extended the contract of Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy by an additional year. The agreement ensures that Van Gundy will remain with the team through the end of the 2007-‘08 season. During his two seasons with the team, Van Gundy has guided the Rockets to a 96-68 record and two consecutive playoff appearances.
“When I hired Jeff two years ago, I said that wanted to bring in a championship-caliber coach,” Alexander said. “Jeff has done a great job for us over the past two seasons and I wanted to reward him for his hard work and dedication. Jeff has a unique ability to get the best out of his players and I believe he has our team poised on the verge of returning to our championship form.” :rofl:

Van Gundy joined the Rockets as the 10th head coach in team history on June 11, 2003. His two-year winning percentage of .585 stands as the highest of any coach in franchise history. Van Gundy, who has posted nine consecutive winning records as an NBA head coach with the New York Knicks and Houston, holds a 344-240 career coaching mark which ranks fifth among active coaches and tied for 15th in league history.

“I am very appreciative to Mr. Alexander for displaying this type of faith and confidence in the job we are doing here,” Van Gundy said. “When I arrived in Houston nearly two years ago the goal was to return this team back to championship form. While we’re not there yet, I think we have made some significant progress over the course of the last two seasons and it’s nice to know that our owner feels the same way. As a coach, the chance to compete for a championship starts with a commitment to winning from ownership and I’m very thankful that Leslie has been very supportive of me and my staff.”