Author Topic: Care to rate Avery Johnson in his first playoff .  (Read 1151 times)

Guest_Randy

Care to rate Avery Johnson in his first playoff .
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:07:17 PM »
series?  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 03:52:20 PM »
I'd give him a B- for the opening round, and a B+ so far this round.  I think you're watching the development of a soon-to-be top-notch coach.

That said, I think he's still behind Carlisle, Brown, and McMillan in terms of coaches still left.  Then again, I'm very low on Popovich.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 04:50:36 PM »
Haven't really watched enough Dallas playoff games to give a very knowledgeable assessment.  But I will say this, he is doing better than I would've expected.  I thought Houston would beat Dallas.  And I'm surprised that they haven't been swept with how awful Dirk has shot the ball save the last game (and its a good thing he did last game with Nash exploding for 50).  I think Avery's choice to shut down Amare and turn Nash into a shooter is brilliant, that is if the lackadaisical defense of Dallas sticks to that gameplan; and thats a big IF.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 06:50:07 PM »
Beating Jeff Van Gundy was no test whatsoever. C

Vs Phx Avery J had Dallas looking very good.  Attacking on O, protecting the paint on D, diving for loose balls.  Dirk is a whiny butt who wants every foul call going his way but i dont know that Avery or any NBA coach can treat the prima donnas any differently. If Dall keeps moving the ball around and doesnt fall in to Dump It To Dirk and Stand ala Popavitch, Dall can upset Phx in a barnburner.  A- so far.