Author Topic: NFL draft  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL draft
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:52:27 PM »
jn whats the goodies on the wide out MN chose instead of Mike Williams?

I thought Mike Willams would be a solid choice and am surprised he went 10th.

jn

NFL draft
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »
The three good things I hear about Williamson are that he's fast, he's fairly big, and doesn't have any red flags on the character front.  The downside is that the ball wasn't thrown to him a whole lot in college.  As a result it's hard to say how good his hands and route running are though no one has come out and called him raw or a project in those regards.

Mike Williams, Roy Williams, and Charles Rogers is a POTENTIALLY great receiving corps in Detroit.  Still, there are issues to over come like Rogers constantly being injured and, well, the fact that they've had a "culture of losing" for years.

It's very interesting contrasting the national media's view of the Vikes draft to what the local writers are saying.  A lot of national people think the Vikes did great, while the locals are just saying it was an okay but not great draft.  The local writers seem to be in consensus that MN did improve but not because of the draft or the Moss trade.  They seem to think the Vikes free agent acquisitions, (Fred Smoot, Sam Cowart, Pat Williams, Darren Sharper, and even Travis Taylor) are the keys.  Personally I'm really excited to have Smoot out at the corner opposite Antoine Winfield. We have had such wretched cornerbacks for so long this is a massive relief.  I'm not so excited by the acquisition of Sharper.  He looked used up last year in Green Bay, missing badly on tackles.

I don't know as much about Williams and Cowart except that Cowart had some decent years with the Jets before being beaten out for his spot by the outstanding rookie Jonathan Vilma.  With Williams I guess I'll take the optimistic view and say it's always good to have a fatty in the middle of the line.