Author Topic: Payton may want out of Lakers at seasons end  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Payton may want out of Lakers at seasons end
« on: February 29, 2004, 10:59:07 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...artnersite=espn

David Aldridge espn

Los Angeles Lakers guard Gary Payton, frustrated by what he said was both limited playing time and the team's triangle offense under Phil Jackson, said on Saturday that he may leave the team after the season. Payton signed a two-year deal with the Lakers but has an option to get out of the deal after the season.

"If that's the way [Jackson's] going to be, that's the way he's going to be, and I'll probably have to move on," Payton said.

With no rancor, Payton expressed frustration with his role in the team's offense. He isn't the focal point of the Lakers' attack, which features Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. Payton goes minutes at a time without shooting. And while Jackson juggles minutes among Bryant, Payton, Derek Fisher and Kareem Rush, Payton said Saturday that he shouldn't be the one who has to sacrifice his game.

"They're going to have to satisfy Shaq and Kobe," Payton said. "They get 40 [minutes]. So we don't know. Whatever way [Jackson's] gonna do it, he'll do it. But I'm just going to state that I'm not pleased with my minutes I'm getting, because I don't think I'm productive being that way. And a lot of people see that. They see that I'm not comfortable with this. And it's affecting my game. My game is me playing minutes, and as the minutes go on, I get more productive and more productive. And I can't do that."

Payton's agent, Aaron Goodwin, told the Los Angeles Times on Friday that Payton had some regrets about signing with Los Angeles. The 35-year-old guard didn't use that word on Saturday, but agreed with the basic sentiment, and hinted that a decision on whether he returns next season may hinge on whether Jackson is re-signed after this season. Jackson and the team decided last month to end negotiations on a new contract until after the season.

"It's [Jackson's] offense," Payton said. "I'm used to coming off picks, screen and rolls, back to the basket, doing things like that. I've never played in this offense, the triangle offense. For my whole career, I played with a coach that let me go off pick and rolls, shoot when I can. This is not the offense for me to do that. This is not the typical offense for me. And that's basically it. I've already conceded to it, that this is not my offense."

Payton said that earlier in the season, the Lakers ran more screen-and-roll offense. But since Karl Malone suffered a knee injury in December, Payton said, his scoring opportunities have diminished, and the Lakers haven't run as much.

"Karl could pass the ball, and he could get you layups," Payton said. "Me and him was in pick and roll, and we was running, and we were getting the ball out. Now, we're getting the ball, and we go straight to the offense. We're not running. We're not running as much, and that was where I was getting my easy baskets. Now, we don't run."

Asked what he wanted to do in the offense, Payton said, "I need to be coming off picks, when people go at us with pick and rolls, screening, stuff like that, and point guards do that, we should come back and do the same thing with them. But we basically run the triangle, [Jackson] has won championships with it, he's going to stick with it, and he's the coach."

Jackson spoke with reporters prior to Saturday's game against Washington and suggested that Payton was frustrated, in part, by Thursday night's loss to the Sacramento Kings, when counterpart Mike Bibby scored 31 points, including two three-pointers down the stretch.

"I think that's probably one of the things (play defense) that he wanted to do more than anything else ... is that he wanted to have an influence on Bibby, so he couldn't get going," Jackson said. "He wanted to wear at him when he did get going, early in the ballgame, and he didn't have that opportunity. And (Bibby) hit a couple of shots down the stretch that were big. And then acted out on court like an a------."

Jackson said that he didn't think Payton would be a problem, but that it would be difficult to get minutes for Payton, Derek Fisher, Kareem Rush and Kobe Bryant.

"All these kids have egos," Jackson said. "But then I tell them that I have one, too."

Payton said he hadn't talked to Jackson in a month about his frustrations. Jackson said he had to play a lot of people to get the Lakers ready for the stretch drive of the season.

"It's tough to balance it out," Jackson said. "Fish needs at least six or seven minutes out there on the floor if he's going to contribute the way he's going to contribute, and Gary needs a little bit of a blow to come back and have a little influence on the ballgame."

After playing 34 minutes in the Lakers' 122-110 victory over the Wizards, Payton is averaging 33.7 minutes per game, a little more than three minutes per game fewer than he had averaged in 14 previous NBA seasons. He is third on the Lakers in scoring at 14.4 points per game, almost four points fewer than his career average of 18.3.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 11:14:59 AM »
Wahhhh wahhhh.....As much as I like Payton and I do agree he should be getting alot of minutes, the triangle offense worked for the Bulls (6 championships) and it has worked for the Lakers (3 championships).  So while he is right its not really a point guard friendly offense or one that he can thrive in.....it works.  Thats all he should care about.  I do agree that they have totally been only in the triangle offense.  They do need more fast break points and they do need to learn how to run the floor.  It seems only Kobe (when he feels like it), Malone, and Payton can run the break more than 2-3 times a game.  That was one of the things that got the Lakers on that long streak at the begging of the season.

My only reply to Gary would be "If you want more minutes then lets try to not go under screens on guys like Mike Bibby"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:01:30 PM »
Losing has a way of bringing out the criticisms and negative emotions -- winning changes that too.  The Lakers still have time to get their act together -- but the "together" is the key to that -- and the Lakers need Malone, he is a lot of the glue that holds the team together on the court and in the lockerroom (boy, is that a disgusting thought).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 01:56:03 AM »
Here is the REAL situation....No need for spin master reality o reily to jump in and try to stir things up.  Mr. Payton was asked about the situation and his comments he explained he has no problem.  He doesn't believe there needs to be major change nor is it something he is very concerened with.  Shaq and Kobe both spoke with Gary and they are going to make an effort to get him the ball more.  He said that he isn't worried about touches or shots.......he just wants to be out there when the game is tight.  That is all.

Phil's reply to the comments was he is saving Gary for the playoffs.

Taken the wrong way and this sounds bad.  Gary broke it down.  Its over.   Payton is going to be playing heavy minutes in the playoffs.  Everyone knows that.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 01:13:47 PM »
ok compare how many rings pj has to how many rings GP and you can easily tell who's right........oh wait a minute, PJ has more rings right?  screw GP, its just another renegotiating ploy, let him go and be ringless......
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 08:35:32 PM »
Here is the REAL situation....No need for spin master reality o reily to jump in and try to stir things up.  Mr. Payton was asked about the situation and his comments he explained he has no problem.  He doesn't believe there needs to be major change nor is it something he is very concerened with.  Shaq and Kobe both spoke with Gary and they are going to make an effort to get him the ball more.  He said that he isn't worried about touches or shots.......he just wants to be out there when the game is tight.  That is all.

Taken the wrong way and this sounds bad.  Gary broke it down.  Its over.   Payton is going to be playing heavy minutes in the playoffs.  Everyone knows that.
Phew glad we got that solved.  Now for the next big issue:
Rick Fox.  Hair bun again or not?

'Koast notice i simply quoted an article and didn't add or take away a thing from espns David Aldrige?   ;)  :D

My own take on the Payton situation is its just petchlant whining and not unjustified either.  Really quite normal for any team, not just the Drama Queens.  However for Payton to take it to the media instead of keeping it in house..... :(  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »
I think some writer pointed out the Payton is averaging a grand total of 2 minutes and 4 shots less per game vs. his career average.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 01:59:18 AM »
Here is the REAL situation....No need for spin master reality o reily to jump in and try to stir things up.  Mr. Payton was asked about the situation and his comments he explained he has no problem.  He doesn't believe there needs to be major change nor is it something he is very concerened with.  Shaq and Kobe both spoke with Gary and they are going to make an effort to get him the ball more.  He said that he isn't worried about touches or shots.......he just wants to be out there when the game is tight.  That is all.

Taken the wrong way and this sounds bad.  Gary broke it down.  Its over.   Payton is going to be playing heavy minutes in the playoffs.  Everyone knows that.
Phew glad we got that solved.  Now for the next big issue:
Rick Fox.  Hair bun again or not?

'Koast notice i simply quoted an article and didn't add or take away a thing from espns David Aldrige?   ;)  :D

My own take on the Payton situation is its just petchlant whining and not unjustified either.  Really quite normal for any team, not just the Drama Queens.  However for Payton to take it to the media instead of keeping it in house..... :(
If you just quoted an article then why was the description of the post 'implosion 2004' and why did you have a certain paragraph enlarged with bold letters?  Those dont make me out to be a hater tactics dont work with you.....you are a citizen of the hateration.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 02:05:12 AM »
It worked.
I really didnt think the Lakers were imploding over Paytons two less minutes a game.  In addition WOW i also found it gaggin how espn/laker tv talking head said Paytons totals are WAY off his career AVERAGE.  :lol:

I'm sorry Ill become a Laker lover.
Anything less then sweety sweety comments about Purple and Golden Ill consider vile.

Love love love.
Oh its soo sweet.

Can i hang with Jack Handy and Michael Thompson?
Tape updates by Vic The Dic Jacobs?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 02:09:05 AM »
It worked.
I really didnt think the Lakers were imploding over Paytons two less minutes a game.  In addition WOW i also found it gaggin how espn/laker tv talking head said Paytons totals are WAY off his career AVERAGE.  :lol:

I'm sorry Ill become a Laker lover.
Anything less then sweety sweety comments about Purple and Golden Ill consider vile.

Love love love.
Oh its soo sweet.

Can i hang with Jack Handy and Michael Thompson?
Tape updates by Vic The Dic Jacobs?
There is a happy medium.  Jn, JoMaL, and others have found it very well.  They dislike the Lakers because its not there team but they do not go to the extreme.  

I imagine your room to look like Ray Finkel's room from Ace Ventura.....except replace Dan Marino and all the Dolphins gear with Shaq and the Lakers.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 02:27:17 AM »
Posted: Mar 2 2004, 01:31 AM  
by westkoast

"The better question is why do you sac-town fans get in a hissy fit everytime he makes a comment like this?"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 11:12:45 AM »
Posted: Mar 2 2004, 01:31 AM   
by westkoast

"The better question is why do you sac-town fans get in a hissy fit everytime he makes a comment like this?"
LOL @ you trying to compare yourself to Phil Jackson.  His comments are jokes and everyone knows it.  You really do hate the Lakers and everyone knows it.  Big difference buddy but good try.  A for effort.  2 comments a year compared to almost daily comments that are not even funny.

I do enjoy how you danced around my comment about you obviously making the post to talk ish.....then you try to play it off like you were just posting an article and nothing else.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 11:18:29 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 11:40:45 AM »
Compare myself to Phil Jackson?  Are you going Randy on me in the misquote dept?  I thought it was you who wrote "The better question is why do you sac-town fans get in a hissy fit everytime he makes a comment like this?"  

Anywho yes the Implosion 2004 was meant to show Aldriges article and get some of you Lakers in a bunch.  It worked.  

Anyway big big question on the subject of Lakerism.  After Jomals post on my "Malone strikes 89 year old thread", sole response was yours.  Get any other points from Jomals post?  Is that your complete answer to Jomals post?  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 11:55:21 AM »
Compare myself to Phil Jackson?  Are you going Randy on me in the misquote dept?  I thought it was you who wrote "The better question is why do you sac-town fans get in a hissy fit everytime he makes a comment like this?"  

Anywho yes the Implosion 2004 was meant to show Aldriges article and get some of you Lakers in a bunch.  It worked.  

Anyway big big question on the subject of Lakerism.  After Jomals post on my "Malone strikes 89 year old thread", sole response was yours.  Get any other points from Jomals post?  Is that your complete answer to Jomals post?
Until you can see the difference between what you do and what everyone else does I dont think I should waste my time trying to go back and forth with you.

As Fez would say 'Good Day Sir'

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
bok bok bok bok.

I was thinking more of lets bring the real issue to a head, then conclude.

As opposed to opting out.

I accept.