Author Topic: Did anyone really get better because of trades?  (Read 1068 times)

Guest_Randy

Did anyone really get better because of trades?
« on: February 25, 2005, 09:29:19 AM »
Philly probably got better -- only I don't think this trade will have the success that some Philly fans here hope it will.

Did anyone else get better?

GS got Baron Davis.

NO gets Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis.

Dallas got KVH.

Celts got Antoine Walker.

Atlanta got Gary Payton.

Knicks get Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor (yeah, this team needs a few more PF's)

Houston gets Mike James, Vin Baker and Moochie Norris.

Heat get Steve Smith.

Spurs get Nazr Mohammad.  

Denver gets Najera and Luis Flores.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 09:42:04 AM »
Better:
Philly
Houston
San Antonio

Same (or marginal change):
Denver
Golden State (assuming baron continues to barely play)
Dallas
Miami
Boston

They don't care:
NO
Atlanta

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 10:46:54 AM »
Got better:

Philadelphia (the big winner)
Golden State
San Antonio
Houston
Miami
Cleveland

Stayed the same:

Denver
Atlanta

Got worse:

Dallas
Sacramento (the big loser)
New York
Boston
New Orleans
Milwaukee
Charlotte

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »
Got better:

Philadelphia (the big winner)
Golden State
San Antonio
Houston
Miami
Cleveland

Stayed the same:

Denver
Atlanta

Got worse:

Dallas
Sacramento (the big loser)
New York
Boston
New Orleans
Milwaukee
Charlotte
Golden State, IMO, is only as good as Davis back.  if he is healthy he will really move that team along.  injured again...they are dead in the water.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 04:55:58 PM »
I agree with Joe (as I usually do) except with respect to Golden State.

Speedy Claxton will soon become a better player than Baron will ever be again, IMO.  He's averaging 13 pts and 6 assists.  His last game: 12 pts. 10 assists, 4 steals, 4 boards and only 2 turnovers.
And Dale is a solid role player.  I really think GS got taken, as usual.

Although Philly got the better end of the deal for now,  they're now on the hook for Webber contract, and his health is a concern.    Also, Corliss is still a solid forward. (He may have more problems playing in the western conference. )IMO Kenny Thomas will be effective in their offense.  I'm not so sure about his defense, considering who he'll be guarding...

I am anxious to see how the Sixers develop, with so many changes a lot of the players don't know the system.  I'll see them in person tomorrow when they host the Kings.  Word is Webber will play.  I think it comes down to who can really play basketball:  team defense, and passing to the man with the easy shot.  With Cwebb and Iverson, playing a two man game, there should be lots of assists for the other three players.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 09:19:49 PM »
Got better:

Philadelphia  -  The additions of Webber and Rogers were good additions considering
what they gave up, and the got another ending deal to make for trading one away.

Golden State  -  In terms of talent they got better.  Dale Davis is a worthless stiff, and Speedy Claxton is far from Baron Davis quality.  Biggest issue is GS has spent a ton on a worthless big guy (Foyle), and a ton on a injury prone PG.  If Baron Davis has back problems, this team will suck for another 5 years.

San Antonio  -  Mohommad is as decent, and IMO much better than Rasho

Dallas  -  I am not a fan of Van Horn, but he is much better than what they gave up, which was nothing

Boston  -  Payton is a shell of his former self.  Antoine Walker is horribly overrated, but they are a little better, with him than Payton.  Losing Welsch may be a mistake long term, but they weren't using him anyway.

Stayed the same:

Denver
Atlanta

Got worse:

New York  -  Isaiah Thomas is a moron
New Orleans  -  They detonated a bomb, and are starting over
Milwaukee  -  They just moved an expiring contract a year sooner.  They better hope they resign Redd, and a couple of other FA or this was a very bad decision

Didn't do enough to make a real difference
Houston
Miami
Cleveland
Charlotte

To be determined
Sacramento  -  I think this was not as bad as many think.  Sacramento moved their biggest albatross, and have changed their focus.  Long term I think we could look back and say, this wasn't so bad after all.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_spursfan101

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 12:08:58 AM »
On paper, the Spurs have gotten better. You have to factor in that Malik was a valuable part of the team though. He has been with SA for 7  years, and he had deep roots with the city and the core unit of the Spurs players.

When interviewed, Malik CRIED about the prospect of leaving San Antonio, and his teammates, namely Tim Duncan, refused to talk to the media regarding the trade. Now I know SA will keep on chugging, I just hope that the chemistry isn't strained. (I'm pretty sure it won't, Naz Mohammad has been very humble, think he will be a good fit, and his stats will improve with Timmy next to him.)

Oh, and Pop hinted today on his radio show that he would'nt rule out the fact that Nazi could be the new Spurs starting center.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 09:03:10 AM »
Oh, and Pop hinted today on his radio show that he would'nt rule out the fact that Nazi could be the new Spurs starting center.

Hey, don't tell Lurker that -- he has posters of Rasho hung up all over his room!  :crazy: