Author Topic: If you were the Vikings, would you trade Moss?  (Read 2009 times)

rickortreat

If you were the Vikings, would you trade Moss?
« on: February 15, 2005, 11:46:09 AM »
This post isn't about whether or not Randy Moss is a good guy, or even a good citizen.  This post is about whether Randy Moss is a good football player.

There's a lot of noise in the media about Randy Moss, and how many of the fans want him traded.  

My question to them is, would you rather win a championship with Randy Moss, or not get to the Supe without him?

Minnesota had a great year this year.  The Vikings won a lot of games.  They were in the playoffs, which puts them ahead of most teams in the league.

Can someone tell me why anyone is even talking about Moss leaving Minnesota?  It doesn't make sense to me, as a fan who wants his team to win to want to see a player like that traded.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:07:27 PM »
Because when you offer up a Randy Moss, you might get a good player to replace him PLUS  throw-ins that help fill needs.  Moss, while a talented player, is also a huge distraction.  Moss is also not capable of carrying the team to the SuperBowl.

When you add up the +/-, Moss is definitely on the plus side, but that's simply not enough.  If you can make a trade where you get even more upside than Moss when evaluating the trade as a whole, it quickly becomes worth making the deal.

While generally, the team that gets the best player in the deal "wins" the deal, when you're trying to move up a level, sometimes, it's depth of talent that you need to build.

Make no mistake - giving Moss away for little in return is a bad, bad, bad idea.  But someone will value the guy.  That's Minnesota's cue to ROB THEM.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »
Has there ever been one single WR who got his team to the Superbowl? None.  So the question if he can or cannot take his team to the big show shouldnt be brought up.  The question should be is his attitude a big enough cancer to offset how good of a offensive weapon he is.  There is only one other WR Id like to have in the league and thats TO.

He is a distraction.....much like TO is a distraction.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:53:11 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 09:10:12 PM »
He is a distraction.....much like TO is a distraction.

TO was only ever a problem in his lockerroom once,in his career, and that was with 2 people.  Moss is much more of a cancer to his own team (TO's generally hated by other teams)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 10:29:32 AM »
There's no question I'd trade Moss.

Not a team player, takes plays off and is a general distraction to the team.  Get a couple of first rounders for him and draft for the defensive side of the ball.   Moss or no Moss, that team isn't doing any damage in the playoffs with such a horrible defense.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »
Typically, teams don't get even equal value when they trade away a talent like that.  

I would say that IF the Vikings could get a combination of players that fill in needs on their team, then the trade might be worth it, but getting even a first-round pick wouldn't be enough to convince me to part with Moss.

I agree only other wide-out at that level is TO, and for another year maybe, Marvin Harrison.  Hard to part with Moss for anything less than that, and there aren't that many players out there teams are willing to trade.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »
The latest is that the new owner wants to keep Moss.

It would all depend on what MN got back as to whether a trade would be worth it.
Supposedly only ATL and Baltimore are interested.  Not sure i buy that.  I think Denny Green of the PHX Cardinals would love to reunite with Moss.

Michael Vick and the ATL with Moss.  I like that a lot.