Author Topic: Is Eddie Jordan, current coach of the Wizards . .  (Read 1089 times)

Guest_Randy

Is Eddie Jordan, current coach of the Wizards . .
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:00:06 AM »
getting the props he deserves?  The Wizards wouldn't make the playoffs in the West, IMO, but their season this year IS a huge turnaround.  I don't hear many giving Eddie Jordan props for this turnaround.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 12:08:15 PM »
It's a combination of not having injuries (although now that changed with Hughes getting hurt), player improvement (Hughes, Arenas and Jamison are all having either career years or close to it), and the pieces fitting better (jamison fits in much better with the lineup than stack).

just like it wasn't all (or even mostly) his fault last year, it's not all his doing on why they're better this year.

I think he's an incredible coach though.  I wish the Sixers had gotten him last year (it was between the Sixers and his hometown Wizards).  But the turnaround is many factors.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 12:30:08 PM »
Dbods,

I don't disagree that the turnaround is many factors -- I think a great deal of it is player's chemistry (which is even MORE interesting since these guys played together at GS and didn't fare as well) and the right pieces in the right place.  I do think that the career years that the big 3 are having are a result of that and a coach that helps put it all together and create a game plan that utilizes their strengths.  

I just think that Eddie Jordan doesn't get much props -- he is hardly mentioned as a coach and while I don't think he is ALL of the reason for the turnaround -- I do think he is a significant part of it.  And I don't think he's getting the props he deserves.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:34:58 PM »
(which is even MORE interesting since these guys played together at GS and didn't fare as well)

Their last year in Golden State (when Gilbert first became a starter) they went from 21 wins to 38.  17 game improvement is a pretty significant improvement.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »
(which is even MORE interesting since these guys played together at GS and didn't fare as well)

Their last year in Golden State (when Gilbert first became a starter) they went from 21 wins to 38.  17 game improvement is a pretty significant improvement.
You also have to realize that Arenas was in his second year and Hughes was only in his 5th year in their final season in Golden State.  A couple more years experience can help a lot.

But that still isn't to take props away from Eddie Jordan.  He does seem to have the Wizards playing with a lot of energy.  However I don't see them remaining high enough in the East to have homecourt in the first round.  Miami, Detroit & Indiana (along with whoever wins the Atlantic) will have home court.  And considering that only Miami & Detroit have winning road records that doesn't bode well for playoff success.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:35:20 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »
Good points all. Both the players and Jordan have done a good job.   As mentioned, the CONFIDENCE they play with is the most impressive aspect.

Have you guys noticed how many Maryland players have been on the Wiz roster over the past few years?  Right now they have Juan Dixon and Steve Blake.  In the last couple years I think they have had former Terrapins Lonny Baxter and Laron Profit.