Author Topic: Is Vince Carter the new version of Penny Hardaway?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Is Vince Carter the new version of Penny Hardaway?
« on: December 28, 2004, 11:57:45 AM »
Yes, No, Maybe so?

IMO, He is just like Penny.  Had a spark when he started now hes just garbage (garbage because he has alot of talent but doesnt play to his ability)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 12:04:45 PM »
Too early to write vince off.

Last year he played in 73 games.  22/5/5.  

This year he didn't care.  That's not right, but that doesn't mean he's done.

jn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 12:09:53 PM »
They have different games but that's not a bad analogy.  They also share a history of injuries being marketed beyond their actual accomplishments.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »
Too early to write vince off.

Last year he played in 73 games.  22/5/5. 

This year he didn't care.  That's not right, but that doesn't mean he's done.
He hasnt played up to his potential since Philly knocked them out of the second (or was it third) round in the EC playoffs.  Plus it seems like the last 3 years hes spent more time on the bench than he has being a super star on the court.

Both were/are excellent players.  Both were hyped as the next Mike.  Both were some of the most exciting players in the game to watch.  Now Penny is, uhhh....ya.  Vince is always hurt and hasnt dominated a game in YEARS.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 12:19:25 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »
I think Vince actually played over his head that year.

Vince has been healthy (outside of this last stint on the IR, but everyone gets little 5 game injuries) the last 2 years.

I guess it depends how you view them.  I don't think Vince is a franchise player.  As I said, I think he played over his head.  His stats last year are pretty close to his career stats.  I think he is what he is, a great 2nd banana.  

Has he been overhyped?  Sure.  But that's not his fault.

Vince has character flaws that prevent him from being a franchise player.  I think people's expectations of him need to change.  A little bit like sheed.  Gets blasted because he wasn't able to lead a team to the promise land, being the focal point, but praised when he's finally put in the right role as a key piece to a championship team.

Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 01:09:06 PM »
I think Vince actually played over his head that year.

Vince has been healthy (outside of this last stint on the IR, but everyone gets little 5 game injuries) the last 2 years.

I guess it depends how you view them.  I don't think Vince is a franchise player.  As I said, I think he played over his head.  His stats last year are pretty close to his career stats.  I think he is what he is, a great 2nd banana.  

Has he been overhyped?  Sure.  But that's not his fault.

Vince has character flaws that prevent him from being a franchise player.  I think people's expectations of him need to change.  A little bit like sheed.  Gets blasted because he wasn't able to lead a team to the promise land, being the focal point, but praised when he's finally put in the right role as a key piece to a championship team.

Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.
With all that said wouldnt that put him in the same spot as Penny Hardaway?

A good player who people overhyped as the next Jordan and expected to be a franchise player because of their huge amount of talent.

jn

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 01:14:40 PM »
Just to be technical, (and I mean really technical) Penny was supposed to be the next Magic, not MJ.  He and Steve Smith had that tag thrown on them as teams tried to find another 6'8" point guard.  In a way I think that was even harder than having the next MJ tag slapped on.  At least Vince and the other "next MJ's" were playing their natural position at 2 guard, whereas Penny and Smith at point was forcing them out of position.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 03:05:34 PM »
Well, I think Penny had the chance to be a franchise leve player, but was playing second fiddle, then had it taken away by injuries.  Since then, he hasn't been the same player.

By making the comparison to Penny, to me, it seems like you're saying he's done.  I don't think so.  I think he can be the player he was (outside of that one year I think he overachieved).  I just think some people overrated that player.

To me, Hardaway and Hill are an apt comparison.  As I said before, I think Vince compares more to sheed, although obviously not in game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 04:28:58 PM »
Well, I think Penny had the chance to be a franchise leve player, but was playing second fiddle, then had it taken away by injuries.  Since then, he hasn't been the same player.

By making the comparison to Penny, to me, it seems like you're saying he's done.  I don't think so.  I think he can be the player he was (outside of that one year I think he overachieved).  I just think some people overrated that player.

To me, Hardaway and Hill are an apt comparison.  As I said before, I think Vince compares more to sheed, although obviously not in game.
Im not saying Vince is done.  Im saying that both of them are similar as far as some of the things I listed above.

Penny was just as hyped/overrated as Vince has been for the last several years.  Vince and Penny also had a crazy amount of talent but injuries took their toll on what they were able to do physically.

Hill is in a league of his own because he sat on the bench for a few years.  Penny and Vince both had injury problems but not to the same level as Hill.  Plus Grant came back alot better than I thought he would considering he has been a bench warmer for years.