Author Topic: Derek I have a question  (Read 1894 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Derek I have a question
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:28:21 PM »
I see that you just picked him up.  I have been considering picking him up in another league.  This is my roster;

PG D. Stoudamire (Por - PG)
PG C. Arroyo (Uta - PG)
PG N. Van Exel (Por - PG)

SG T. McGrady (Hou - SG)
SG M. Redd (Mil - SG)

SF C. Maggette (LAC - GF)
SG/SF R. Davis (Bos - GF)
SG/SF J. Welsch (Bos - GF)

PF B. Wallace (Det - PF)
PF C. Boozer (Uta - PF)

C E. Curry (Chi - C)
C R. LaFrentz (Bos - FC)
C P. Brezec (Cha - C)

I am thinking of adding him and dropping Welsch.  What is your opinion of that?  Welsch seems to playing reasonable minutes, but if Iguodala plays minutes I think we will give me some things I am missing, namely steals, and some additional blocks.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Derek I have a question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:57:39 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea what to expect.

I mean, I expect great defense and uptempo running offense, but I'm not sure what to expect from him in a fantasy output.

I don't expect him to average more than 10-12 pts/game, no matter the playing time.  His jumper's not consistent, and he's not aggressive offensively (looking more to penetrate and set his teammates up).

To complicate matters worse, we're extremely deep at the 2/3.  Right now our backup 2 guard is willy green, who was scheduled to be our starter, and our backup 3 is glenn.  both of them figure to get 20-25 minutes/game AT THE MINIMUM.

Iguodala could start and still only play 25 minutes/game.  At which put he could put up something like 8 pts, 4 boards, 2 assists and a steal.

Not fantasy numbers, by any stretch.  But if he gets 30-35 minutes I could easily see 10-11 pts, 5 boards, 3 assists and 2 steals, which would be nice 10th-12th man fantasy numbers, and possibly more (his shot looks much improved from what I saw him in college.  His learning curve is extremely high).

Tough decision.  Honestly, if I wasn't so hyped about him as a Sixers fan, I'd probably lay off him.  He won't be picked up right now (unless you're in a Sixers fan heavy league), and I'd wait to see what he does the first week or two.

He has a chance to be the SG/SF andrei kirilenko type.  He has 5-5 potential (5 pts, 5 boards, 5 assists, 5 steals, 5 blocks).

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Derek I have a question
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 09:37:17 PM »
Well Iggy, if the last two preseason games are any indication, I'd pick him up.

Game 1: 10 pts, 3 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, 6 ftm.
Game 2: 15 pts (27 minutes), 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 1 3ptm, 2 ftm.

These last 2 games have been mainly starters he's done this against, and he's looked very good.  Very, very good.   Particularly good offensively, much more advanced than he did coming out of college.  of note, today he only had 2 assists, but he had what I counted 4 dimes that the opposition fouled the player he passed the ball to.  his passing is amazing.  he can take his man off the dribble at any time.  he's looking like a saavy vet at 20 years old, and he gets his hands on any ball possible.

Take him now, he might be borderline, but by all-star game he'll be one of the top 3-4 rookies.