Author Topic: Latest Blazer rumor  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest Blazer rumor
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:00:19 PM »
Blazers trade
Damon Stoudamire
Derek Andersen
to New Jersey

Nets trade
Jason Kidd
Ron Mercer
To Minnesota

Minnesota trades
Sam Cassell
Wally Szczerbiak
Fred Hoiberg
To Portland

I checked on real GM and this works, but because of recent contracts signed by Mercer and Hoiberg not until after December 15, 2004.

I like the deal, though I would prefer Kidd.  This gives us a much better backcourt, with better shooting, and we don't have to give up Shareef to do it.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Latest Blazer rumor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 08:28:47 PM »
IMO this is a bad trade for Minny.  While Kidd is an awesome player I can't count the number of times SamIAm has bailed the Wolves out.  If both Sam and Wally are gone there is nobody on the Wolves, not Spree/Kidd/Hudson, who can be counted on to makes teams pay for doubling down on KG.  

IMO this will make Minny a much better regular season team but they will falter in the playoffs when opposing teams can have time to design defenses to counter KG.  The remaining Wolves players will fail to step up.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

Latest Blazer rumor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:53:35 AM »
Wow is right.  This would be a bad move for the Wolves.   Wally and Fred are the Wolves best 3 point shooters.  

Guest_Randy

Latest Blazer rumor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:36:18 AM »
I think this trade is absolutely NUTS!  

Okay, NJ is wanting to get rid of salary (it's the reason for their fire sale recently) so they take on Derek Anderson's $8 mill salary (Stoudamire becomes a FA in '05) -- the problem is that they trade Kidd and get NOTHING but an $8 million dollar salary in return?  I think they could get a LOT more than DA for Kidd.  Mercer is fodder but it's hard to believe that NJ would trade Kidd for basically nothing!

Minny trades SamIAm, Wally World and Fred Hoiberg and get nothing but Jason Kidd.  I realize that SamIAm has started very slow (doesn't he always) and he isn't a great lockerroom kind of player (definately not the leader that Kidd is) but Wally is important off the bench and Hoiberg IS the kind of player Minny needs (okay, Portland could use him too).

Portland gives up two players that they DON'T want and they get SamIAm, Wally World and Fred Hoiberg.  

Portland would LOVE to pull the trigger on this deal -- however, I can't see Minny or NJ having anything to do with it.  Just doesn't make much sense.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest Blazer rumor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:33:41 PM »
Wow is right.  This would be a bad move for the Wolves.   Wally and Fred are the Wolves best 3 point shooters.
trade them...trade them now dammit!!! :hail:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest Blazer rumor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 02:10:42 PM »
I think this and the Kidd news indicate more clearly than ever that a Rahim for Carter deal will happen.  That may seem to be at odds with what the article says, but I think that what is happening behind the scenes is different from the public face being put on it.

First Portland and Toronto had what, Portland at least thought, was an agreement in principle.  Then Toronto suddenly changed their minds and "backed out", or more likely, changed the deals makeup.  Toronto was obviously pushing for more.  Portland then walked away.  Sounds like a lot of posturing, but clearly both teams are very close to doing a deal.  For Toronto they get a high quality player for Vince, and a player who they can let go and save $14,000,000 in salary, or they can resign and he will be a big time contributor.  Look at what happened with Rasheed and his deal with Detroit.  He went from making $17,000,000, to resigning with Detorit for $9 to $10 million.  I could easily see Shareef resigning for a similar number, so Toronto saves $4 to $5 million, and still have Shareef.  How many teams are going to pay him more?  Shareef gives Toronto what they need, and inside player, who can score and rebound.  Of all the players that are really available in trade right now for Vince, Shareef is the best player and the best fit.  Portland also gets what they want, which is shooter and a scorer at the SG position.

All the talk about Kidd I think is a smokescreen on Portlands part.  If they have to trade Shareef, they don't need Kidd they need a scorer.  There have been a number of articles about Nash and his meetings and discussions with NJ regarding the Nets.  These articles have been to obvious and convienent, and I think it is a deliberate attempt by the Blazers to up the Value of Shareef.  I agree with everybody here taht the Minn/NJ/Portalnd deal makes little to no sense for Minnesota and NJ, and a lot of sense for Portland.  As a result it won't happen.  I am more convinced that ever that a Portland and Toronto deal is what will happen, and it won't include Jalen Rose.

Blazers pull out of Carter talks

Wednesday, December 08, 2004  

Report: Blazers pull out of Carter talks
Bill Harris of Slam!Sports says the Blazers shut down talks with the Raptors because Toronto reportedly backed out of a deal Portland thought was done:
Nothing is totally dead until some of those players get moved in other trades, but to be blunt, the Blazers are ticked at the Raptors right now for backing out on what Portland thought was a done deal involving Carter and Abdur-Rahim, but not Rose.
According to thestar.com, if Toronto does trade Vince Carter and/or Jalen Rose, it must get a rebounder in return:
The Raptors are quickly becoming the rebounding laughingstocks of the NBA — under-sized, understrength and unable to hold their own on the boards. If Babcock doesn't parlay his glut of perimeter players into some big men, it'll be nothing more than shuffling an already questionable deck.
Out in New Jersey, GM Rod Thorn rebuffed the Stoudamire/1st rd. pick for Jason Kidd rumor:
"That was something that was never talked about," he said. "One time Damon's name might have come up this summer, and we quickly said there was no interest from our standpoint.

"But this stuff will keep coming up. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. But I'm not worried about it being a distraction, because since training camp, Jason has been very professional about his public pronouncements."

But Thorn sounds like the ultimate salesman in this nypost.com story:
"He was moving around the court as if nothing ever happened to him. He played last year the last two months of the season with his leg bothering him and he didn't move like that," Thorn observed. "He was moving side to side. He had a great burst of speed [and] it appeared as if his knee were healthy."
Nynewsday.com says Portland is squarely focused on Kidd, but they've got some stiff competition:
But the Blazers have competition for Kidd from Denver, which could send point guard Andre Miller to the Nets in a package that also might include young power forward Nene Hilario. If the Nuggets land Kidd, then, the Blazers can renew their efforts to get Carter with a deal that provides immediate salary-cap relief for the Raptors.
The same story also says Toronto may have unreported offers on the table:
"I think Toronto has more offers than what people have been putting in the paper. They're going to wait and get the best deal."

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil