Author Topic: Why won't JVG hire a decent offensive assistant?  (Read 802 times)

Guest_Randy

Why won't JVG hire a decent offensive assistant?
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:15:49 AM »
Can it BE more obvious that JVG doesn't understand offense?  His NY teams sucked offensively and he is turning two incredible offensive players (Yao and TMac) into HUGE disappointments with his offensive "scheme."  This guy is a good defensive coach but his offense just is deplorable.  Why not begin to realize your strengths and your weaknesses and begin to find someone who can help you with your weaknesses?

PJ was never a great offensive coach (or a defensive one -- or a numbers one, lol) -- but he DID find one of the best basketball minds out there in Tex Winters and he simply: 1) learned from him; 2) empowered him; and 3) recognized his strengths and utilized the strengths of others to overcome his weaknesses.  There are a lot of things I never liked about PJ (let's all light some incense and smoke a book -- I mean read a book) but he WAS smart enough to surround himself with people who would make him better and make him look a LOT better than he really was (it also helped that Tex didn't want to stress of being a head coach).

JVG needs to recognize that he is a horrible offensive coach and find some help!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:12:04 PM »
Randy,

I agree.  In fact, I think the perfect offensive assistant coach is out there in the form of John MacLeod, who used to coach high-octane Phoenix and Dallas teams.  MacLeod's schemes are extremely big on floor balance (which is probably why he's not had a head coaching job in years, considering isolation offense is all the rage now), which would leave the players in the right positions for Van Gundy's defensive schemes.

Seems like a match made in heaven, to me.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »
Randy,

I agree.  In fact, I think the perfect offensive assistant coach is out there in the form of John MacLeod, who used to coach high-octane Phoenix and Dallas teams.  MacLeod's schemes are extremely big on floor balance (which is probably why he's not had a head coaching job in years, considering isolation offense is all the rage now), which would leave the players in the right positions for Van Gundy's defensive schemes.

Seems like a match made in heaven, to me.
I agree Joe, and it WOULD be a great fit since MacLeod doesn't have a clue on defense.