Author Topic: What will the Stooge do?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:08:34 PM »
Well lets see what Stooge Jackson will do about Detroit and Indy.  Obviously Ben Wallace will get some time for sure.
Artest will get some time, but I think the fact that he walked away from the Wallace incident should work in his favor.  Steven Jackson will get some time, but all that I saw he was protecting Artest, and Fred Jones.  Jermaine will probably get some time, but he was being attacked by the fans.  Fred Jones may get something for going into the stands, and leaving the bench.

I think the Pistons organization may get heavily fined though.  They let the situation escalate, and from what I could see security personnel were fighting the Pacers.

I also think Bill Walton should be fined for stupidity.  To quote Mr. Walton after the fracas "basketball is all about peace and love".  Put down the bong buddy, and turn off the John Lennon.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 06:01:48 PM »
I'm talking about just this specific incident(s) on the court.
On the court, after Artest and Oneal have come down from the stands, they take turns blasting the guy with the Pistons jersey.  I did not see the guy with the Pistons jersey

a) threaten Artest.  As Artest and Piston Jersey Wearer approach each other, get within three feet of each other, I do not see Piston Jersey wearer raise his hands at all.  What i do see is Artest twisting his waist and cocking his arm back like a pro boxer or an NFL quarterback rearing back to throw, then proceding to twist forward concluding with a full momentum jamming of his elbow right smack into Piston Wearers jaw.  Knocks him to the ground.

b.  Now on the ground, Piston Jersey Wearers fall is broken by Piston security.  Or maybe right after he falls.  Piston Security puts his arms behind Piston Jersey wearer and was going to help boost him up.  Enter Jermaine Oneal whom you cant even see in the picture.  Until he comes running in and delivers a full on roundhouse fist to Piston Wearers face.

No way shape or form that can be called "provoked" or self defense, even if Piston wearer was on the court.  "Punishment (Artest full on elbow then Oneal full on roundhouse to seated Piston wearer) does not even fit the "Crime".  "Crime" being Piston Jersey Wearer walking on to the court.

I know the defense lawyers will spin it that Oneal and Artest felt their lives threatened by Piston Jersey wearer.  Unless some incredible info comes out I dont buy that one iota.  They assaulted Piston Jersey Wearer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 06:02:15 PM by Reality »

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 06:15:49 PM »
I'm talking about just this specific incident(s) on the court.
On the court, after Artest and Oneal have come down from the stands, they take turns blasting the guy with the Pistons jersey.  I did not see the guy with the Pistons jersey

a) threaten Artest.  As Artest and Piston Jersey Wearer approach each other, get within three feet of each other, I do not see Piston Jersey wearer raise his hands at all.  What i do see is Artest twisting his waist and cocking his arm back like a pro boxer or an NFL quarterback rearing back to throw, then proceding to twist forward concluding with a full momentum jamming of his elbow right smack into Piston Wearers jaw.  Knocks him to the ground.

b.  Now on the ground, Piston Jersey Wearers fall is broken by Piston security.  Or maybe right after he falls.  Piston Security puts his arms behind Piston Jersey wearer and was going to help boost him up.  Enter Jermaine Oneal whom you cant even see in the picture.  Until he comes running in and delivers a full on roundhouse fist to Piston Wearers face.

No way shape or form that can be called "provoked" or self defense, even if Piston wearer was on the court.  "Punishment (Artest full on elbow then Oneal full on roundhouse to seated Piston wearer) does not even fit the "Crime".  "Crime" being Piston Jersey Wearer walking on to the court.

I know the defense lawyers will spin it that Oneal and Artest felt their lives threatened by Piston Jersey wearer.  Unless some incredible info comes out I dont buy that one iota.  They assaulted Piston Jersey Wearer.
Reality,

The Pacers were being attacked from all around by Piston fans.  They were being hit with flying debris, being sucker punched in the head and from behind.  There was little to no security anywhere.  A fan walks onto the court, and your first throught is he is going to attack me.  The "jersey wearing drunk ass knuckle fu#%" clearly said some things, and made no effort to avoid a confrontation.  It was clear he wanted to get in on it.

You have 15 to 20 members of the Pacers organization and 10,000 to 12,000 Piston fans.  I am sorry, but I will give Artest and O'Neal the benefit of the doubt for popping some stupid arse in the mouth.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »
Jersey Wearer should not have been on the court.  But what in the video makes you think he "wants in on it" as far as violence goes?  Even if he was contemplating mixing it up, he didnt act much on it.   Other then walk on the court.  Had Artest shoved him and walked off, fine. But check the video again.
Jersey Wearers arms at side.   Artest flat levels him.  Artest does this after stopping, pausing, thinking it over -bam.  Overkill.

Pro athletes at 6 million a year are supposed to be able to accept verbal abuse.
Whatever chubby/drunk Piston wearer said, and i dont even see him saying anything, it just doesnt warrant a full-on elbow to the jaw.

As to Oneals coming running into the picture to smack the sitting down chubby Jersey wearer, how can you possibly call that "provoked" or say that fat sitting Pistons Jersey wearer was any kind of a "threat?"

As to Pacers being attacked all around, my point is who started the physical exchanges.  It was Artest wailing on 4 eyes.  Next Jackson kicking and punching.  Then PistonFan joined in.

Its a bad scene all the way around.

But lets stop it at BenWas shove and then Piston fans beer dump and plastic bottle lob.  If Artest walks away to Piston bench or off court, i think its over.  Granted this would take self control.  However going into stands just has got to be a line you dont cross.  Beer dump is certainly not enough.  Think about it zig, would you, at your present job, take a beer on your uniform (whatever that uni might be) once a season, ok twice, ok once a month, for a salary raise to 6 million a year?
I would take a beer dousing after every workday for 6 mill a year.

Now that plastic bottle toss, if that bottle had liquid (thus weight) in it, that is different.  That could seriously injure an eye.  Still, it did not hit Artests eye.  I say the bottle tosser gets felony charges.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 06:58:23 PM by Reality »

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 08:28:41 PM »
Jersey Wearer should not have been on the court.  But what in the video makes you think he "wants in on it" as far as violence goes?  Even if he was contemplating mixing it up, he didnt act much on it.   Other then walk on the court.  Had Artest shoved him and walked off, fine. But check the video again.
Jersey Wearers arms at side.   Artest flat levels him.  Artest does this after stopping, pausing, thinking it over -bam.  Overkill.

Pro athletes at 6 million a year are supposed to be able to accept verbal abuse.
Whatever chubby/drunk Piston wearer said, and i dont even see him saying anything, it just doesnt warrant a full-on elbow to the jaw.

As to Oneals coming running into the picture to smack the sitting down chubby Jersey wearer, how can you possibly call that "provoked" or say that fat sitting Pistons Jersey wearer was any kind of a "threat?"

As to Pacers being attacked all around, my point is who started the physical exchanges.  It was Artest wailing on 4 eyes.  Next Jackson kicking and punching.  Then PistonFan joined in.

Its a bad scene all the way around.

But lets stop it at BenWas shove and then Piston fans beer dump and plastic bottle lob.  If Artest walks away to Piston bench or off court, i think its over.  Granted this would take self control.  However going into stands just has got to be a line you dont cross.  Beer dump is certainly not enough.  Think about it zig, would you, at your present job, take a beer on your uniform (whatever that uni might be) once a season, ok twice, ok once a month, for a salary raise to 6 million a year?
I would take a beer dousing after every workday for 6 mill a year.

Now that plastic bottle toss, if that bottle had liquid (thus weight) in it, that is different.  That could seriously injure an eye.  Still, it did not hit Artests eye.  I say the bottle tosser gets felony charges.
Reality,
I am playing devils advocate here somewhat.  In all the talking head BS I have heard, almost nothing is being directed at the Pistons for have lax security, and for overselling beer, and letting fans get totally drunk.  Lets face it, here it is with 45 seconds left and people are thowing full pitchers of beer at the players.  Less than a minute left and people are throwing full pitchers of beer, look at when Jermaine ran through the exit.  If they had cut off beer sales at the end of the 3rd qtr, then this situation doesn't get nearly as out of control.  Baseball stops selling beer after the 7th inning.

I have no idea what "drunk jersey wearing knucklehead" was thinking, but it was obvious he went onto the floor to get in the middle of it.  If he wanted to stay out of it, he would have headed the other way, or towards the exit, but he didn't.  He comes onto the floor and he is running his mouth, and it is fairly obvious he wants to get in on it.

I don't expect to go to game and get attacked by a player.  I also don't go to a game and have some drunk arse pour beer on me, but you know what it happens to people all the time.  I don't go to a game to have some fat jerk off ripping players with profanity laced tirades, right in front of my 13 and 4 tear old.  I don't want to hear about how fans pay their money, so they can say and do what they want.  The problem in Detorit was the FANS, plain and simple.  All the moralizing I am hearing is about how the players did all these bad things, and should be suspended for extended periods maybe the entire season.  Well what about all the drunk ass jerk fans.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 09:45:54 PM »
Excuse me while I  :puke: .  The Pistons President going on TV and laying all the blame on Ron Artest.  What a fricking weasel.  Selling beer in mass quantities even with less than a minute to go, no security guards, fans going beserk, and all that is Ron Artest's fault.  Excuse me while I  :puke: .

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What will the Stooge do?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
I am playing devils advocate here somewhat.  In all the talking head BS I have heard, almost nothing is being directed at the Pistons for have lax security, and for overselling beer, and letting fans get totally drunk.
And the owners miss out on the markup they get from $5-$12 beer sales?

zig, they've got a family to feed.  :rolleyes:

Yes while Jersey Wearing Punk came onto the floor, my take is the threat he posed did not merit the Artest Jaw then while he is sitting on the floor the Oneal punch.

Just as Drunk Jersey Wearer Punk could have easily walked away to an exit, Artest and Oneal could have just as easily walked past him.  By that time anger had escallated on all sides, clouding any good judgement left.