Author Topic: How sweet it is  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« on: October 18, 2004, 12:28:29 AM »
David Ortiz drives in Manny Ramirez with a big fly.  I am sure John Kerry was just estactic cheering on his favorite Red Sox, Manny Ortez.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:57:33 AM »
The Manny Ortez fly was sweet.  I enjoyed the Dave Roberts steal and score just as much.  Seeing unbeatable 'Mo get a blown save.

Please Red Sox, do it again and use up another Skunkie starting pitcher.
Schilling to start Game 6?  Don't know about that.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »
The Manny Ortez fly was sweet.  I enjoyed the Dave Roberts steal and score just as much.  Seeing unbeatable 'Mo get a blown save.

Please Red Sox, do it again and use up another Skunkie starting pitcher.
Schilling to start Game 6?  Don't know about that.
They are toast tonight =/

A-Rod is living up to his paycheck this post season.  I called that 2-run smash last night at the pool hall.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 07:28:17 PM »
zig, short version is Play it Again, Grady.

7th inning lead off Bosox double.  Followed by Johny Damon popout (no bunt Francona??) and Manny Overpaid Fat Blob Yankee Helper Ramirez hitting into a double play.  Its over.  David Ortiz is left standing in the on deck circle.

Grady Francona turned the game in the 6th IMO.  Pete Martinez had done all you could ask of him.  Limited the Skunkies to one run thru 6 2/3rds.  Pitch count over 100, batter is buck ninety five Cairo vs SuperJeter on deck.  Obviously Pedro Martinez was gassed IMO.  Grady Francona, *saving* your best closer for the 9th is POINTLESS when you are facing elimination.  Grady tries to milk another out from Petro.  He hits Cairo.  Still leaves Pete in.  Jeter slices one down the line for a bases clearing 3 run double.  Lot of good Foulke does you now, eh?  Doesn't have to be Foulke you insert but any of your fresh relievers are better now then a tired Pete.  Give Pete his props and put in Foulke or a fresh reliever.

Props to Skunks for being fundamentally very sound.  Joe Torre.
Posting this as David Ortiz just went yard for 4-3.  Man i wanted to see him get up in the 7th with two men on.
 :hail: Dave Roberts.  4-4.  Replace Scam Ran with Roberts.  I mean it.  Attitiude just as much as production.

11th Two on NONE out.  Damon pops the bunt to go 2-46 in the playoffs.  Cabrera hits into inning ending double play.  10Pm EST, 7 PDT.  Yawn.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:00:21 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 12:08:14 AM »
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

1st team to come back from 0-3 to win a series? :up: That would be too much.

Curt Schill will go for Game 6.  Wow hope he is above 90%.  Modern medical *miracles* yesss.

Damon and Man Ram a combined playoff 2 for 2000 and Skank reliever (actually starter all season) Esteban Loaiza walks them both in the 14th.  After getting the leadoff batter.  Damon ends up being winning run.  Fatigue by Loaiza?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 12:18:20 AM by Reality »

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
How sweet it is
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:32:59 AM »
:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

1st team to come back from 0-3 to win a series? :up:

Damon and Man Ram a combined 2 for 2000 and Skank reliever walks them both in the 14th.  Damon ends up being winning run.  Thats gotta be fatigue.
maybe, but Loaiza is a starter used to going 5-7 innings.  Loaiza's problem throughout this year has been bouts of wildness and getting the ball up in the strikezone.  When he gets it up in the zone people take him deep, and when he gets wild he puts runners on and the the long balls KILL him.  In this case his wildness caught up to him.  Both Damon and Manny walk a lot, especially Damon.  I was actually surprised that the Bo Sox didn't work him deeper into counts, and make him throw a lot of pitches.  That is when he blows up.  Ortiz's AB was fabulous, one for the ages.  He fouled off pitch after pitch, after pitch.  That is what you have to do against a pitcher like Loaiza, because he makes mistakes.  Make him throw lots of pitches and eventually he will make a mistake.  He left one belt high inside, and if Ortiz had just shown a tab more paitence, he would have been the first with 3 walk off'ers in one playoff year.
The key was that the Yanks had no one left in the bullpen.

Schilling is going tomorrow and that will be huge.  I believe he will pitch a great game.  Lieber will go for the Yanks.  He is defintely beatable.  The opposition hit a whopping .301 against him, his saving grace has been control.  He has only thrown 82 and 78 picthes in his 2 postseason starts, and with 5 days rest he will be well rested.  This is a game where the Bo Sox have to be patient.  They have to make Lieber work.  He has given up more HR's, than walks this year, and he has been able to be successful by not pitching very many innings.  I believe that if they can get deep in counts, and get him up to 85 pitchs in the 5th-6th, then the Yanks are in deep trouble.  Their bullpen is SHOT, and if they have to go to them again for extended innings I don't think they will be able to.  Schilling can go 130 to 140 pitches no problem, so that allows the Sox to limit their bullpen innings.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil