Author Topic: Larry Brown's comments on egotistical players  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown's comments on egotistical players
« on: September 30, 2004, 09:22:54 AM »
More than 30 years of coaching have given Brown with sufficient latitude for venting. There are numerous ills, but nothing eats at him more than the egomania run amok.

"You know what really irritates me now?" he says. "It's when I hear of a (maximum contract) player asking to be traded. That's the most unbelievably ludicrous comment I've ever heard because when you demand a max contract, you're saying that you're committed to winning with them and leading the way. And then I hear these guys say they can't win there and need to go elsewhere. If that's the case, then you're not a max player."

He laments over the stars' inability to handle the word "No."

"Nobody has ever told them that before," he says. "They surround themselves with hangers-on whose only interest is doing whatever it takes to stay close to the money. They tell them that the name on the back of the jersey is more important than what it says on the front. How can we be surprised then when some young players have a hard time handling things that don't go their way?"

link to whole story
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 09:37:07 AM »
I love Larry, I do.  One of my favorite coaches ever.

But...

when you demand a max contract, you're saying that you're committed to winning with them and leading the wa

Um....hello?  Hypocrit?  You're paid 7 mil/year and every year you talk about leaving?  You say in the middle of the season that there's only one place you want to coach basketball, and that's with the Sixers, then you quit and go coach the pistons?  Hello, larry?

The 2nd paragraph I'm in complete agreement with.  In fact, I think it's ludicrous players demanding trades too.  I also think coaches should honor their commitments.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:47:02 AM »
I hear ya bods.   We had Larry down here in SA for a while also.  3-4 years is his max regardless of contract.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 02:18:08 PM »
I hear ya bods.   We had Larry down here in SA for a while also.  3-4 years is his max regardless of contract.
I hear you both yet...
Flip side of that is if you live in a city that ownership perpetuates losers, ie San Diego, a guy like Brown is a breath of fresh air.  Even if for a short time.  

Goodness he took the Clippers to the playoffs!

In Brown fashion in footballspeak, I would have loved to have seen Bill Parcells sign with the Chargers instead of the Cowboys.