Author Topic: Kobe article on SI.com  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« on: September 14, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/maga...0920/index.html

What Kobe Said
Why do Bryant's lawyers want his statement to police sealed? Because he admits to a further infidelity and says another player paid women hush money

By Jeff Benedict
Kobe Bryant told police about his accuser at the Spa.
AP

The criminal case against Kobe Bryant is over, but the legal battle between Bryant and his accuser, and the wrangling between his lawyers and prosecutors, goes on. Last week Pamela Mackey, Bryant's lead attorney, was able to get a temporary restraining order that will -- for the time being, at least -- seal all arrest and criminal records from the Bryant case because, she argued, they include "highly sensitive, confidential, embarrassing and private matters."

SI has obtained the sealed statement made by Bryant and recorded by police before he was arrested. Among the details:

• When he was questioned by two police officers in the parking lot of the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera in the early morning of July 2, 2003, Bryant, after first denying an encounter took place, admitted to "holding her around her neck from behind" and graphically described a series of sex acts he engaged in with his accuser.

• As the officers and Bryant made small talk while walking to his room, Bryant told them he would pay his accuser to make the charges go away because "I'm in the worst f------ situation."

• During the interview Bryant told police about "a girl in Virginia named 'Michelle'" with whom he said he had had a consensual sexual relationship.

• In their summary of the conversation, police said Bryant told them that he should have paid the woman to keep quiet -- and mentioned another NBA player who he said had done that. Bryant said the player would pay women "not to say anything," and that he had spent up to a million dollars to get out of situations like Bryant's. Bryant told the police that he had never had to resort to paying hush money, stating that he "treats a woman with respect, therefore, they shouldn't say anything."

To date, Bryant's accuser hasn't said anything to a jury, and she probably never will. Because his lawyers negotiated a dismissal of the charges against Bryant with prejudice, he cannot be retried on the same sexual assault charges. And it's unlikely there will be a civil trial for her to testify in. The prospect of the release of the statement, which his attorneys worked so hard to have sealed, provides Bryant with a compelling incentive to seek a settlement, the terms of which may never be made public.

Issue date: September 20, 2004

Jeff Benedict, a frequent contributor to SI, is the author of Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence and Crime.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:45:41 AM »
We already heard all this tho...why would SI.com now put a story about it?  Only thing new is the fact that some other NBA player has done the same thing, which isnt that big of a suprise IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:02:14 PM »
Yeah, but if SI has the sealed statement, the details are eventually going to get out. If SI already has it, they'll go to court to publish it, and they'll probably win the right to do so.

What happens when that certain NBA player's name gets out? Who do you think that player could be? Someone on the Lakers? How happy is that player going to be that Kobe is mentioning him in a police statement about infidelity? Aside from actually saying "Hell yeah officuh, I raped her," could Kobe have been more stupid in his dealings with the police?

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »
Yeah, but if SI has the sealed statement, the details are eventually going to get out. If SI already has it, they'll go to court to publish it, and they'll probably win the right to do so.

What happens when that certain NBA player's name gets out? Who do you think that player could be? Someone on the Lakers? How happy is that player going to be that Kobe is mentioning him in a police statement about infidelity? Aside from actually saying "Hell yeah officuh, I raped her," could Kobe have been more stupid in his dealings with the police?
From what SI put out it doesnt sound like he is admitting to rapping her.  He admits to being a freak but some of the quotes you had just point to him being like 'F*#& I got myself into this situation by getting with the wrong girl'  If I said ive got a little wild with a girl and put my hands around her neck that doesn't automatically mean im a rapist, I could just be a freak.  Some girls do like that sort of thing (but thats beside the point)

That other player could be a sticky situation.  I don't think SI will publish that part, at least if they have any decency.  Could be Shaq paying the women, ya never know. I am sure alot of the super stars do the same thing.  For some reason I dont think Eric Piawakowski (sp) has a problem with women trying to go after him like Kobe.  His image has been tarnished tho.  He will never ever be able to shake that rapist title from plenty of people.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 12:13:28 PM by westkoast »

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
From what SI put out it doesnt sound like he is admitting to rapping her.  He admits to being a freak but some of the quotes you had just point to him being like 'F*#& I got myself into this situation by getting with the wrong girl'  If I said ive got a little wild with a girl and put my hands around her neck that doesn't automatically mean im a rapist, I could just be a freak.  Some girls do like that sort of thing (but thats beside the point)

That other player could be a sticky situation.  I don't think SI will publish that part, at least if they have any decency.  Could be Shaq paying the women, ya never know. I am sure alot of the super stars do the same thing.  For some reason I dont think Eric Piawakowski (sp) has a problem with women trying to go after him like Kobe.  His image has been tarnished tho.  He will never ever be able to shake that rapist title from plenty of people. [/quote]
 For the record, I think you make a good point. I don't think the release of the whole statement would tell us much more about what actually happened. The part that could be really damaging is the stuff about the other player. That could be ugly, and if SI didn't publish it, someone would. Especially this Jeff Bennett guy. That would be a great basis for his follow up book.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe article on SI.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 12:37:16 PM »
Quote from: westkoast,Sep 14 2004, 10:10 AM

That other player could be a sticky situation.  I don't think SI will publish that part, at least if they have any decency.  Could be Shaq paying the women, ya never know. I am sure alot of the super stars do the same thing.  For some reason I dont think Eric Piawakowski (sp) has a problem with women trying to go after him like Kobe.  His image has been tarnished tho.  He will never ever be able to shake that rapist title from plenty of people.
For the record, I think you make a good point. I don't think the release of the whole statement would tell us much more about what actually happened. The part that could be really damaging is the stuff about the other player. That could be ugly, and if SI didn't publish it, someone would. Especially this Jeff Bennett guy. That would be a great basis for his follow up book. [/quote]
 I really hope not.  Although I guess that guy deserves it for cheating on his wife.  I just dont want to see another player have to go thru what Kobe did just because Kobe was running his mouth trying to be buddy buddy with the keystone kops.

You are right tho.  Its only a matter of time before SOMEONE publishes it.  Maybe its Charlie Ward and he is gonna sock him again lol.