Author Topic: Malone  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone
« on: September 09, 2004, 05:54:38 PM »
Sorry no breaking Karl news.  Unless you want the BS version from Vic the Suckup on SoCals largest sports radio.

Since its slow I'll go ahead and ask if anyone has heard any more speculation.
Or heard how his workouts are going, altho of course his agent will sugarcoat that irregardless of how he is doing.  

Still really want a title Karl?

Should Malone require more time to get back to 100% (if possible) , I do not think Malones joining a team at midseason would be a bad thing.  We'll take him on the Spurs with the provisio that he is suspended then gone with a 1st then 2nd cheapshot.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:02:23 PM »
We'll take him on the Spurs with the provisio that he is suspended then gone with a 1st then 2nd cheapshot.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 08:49:29 AM »
Malone expects to talk to Spurs
Web Posted: 09/09/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

After two full months of rehabilitation on his surgically repaired right knee, free-agent forward Karl Malone said he is confident he will regain 100 percent effectiveness on the basketball court and has made a decision about whether he will continue his career in the NBA, and with whom.

He's just not ready to share his decision with anyone, including the Spurs.

The Spurs have told Malone they have a spot on their roster for him if, and when, he determines he would like it. They can offer Malone only the veterans' minimum contract of $1.1 million, but Malone already has shown he is motivated more by a winning situation than money.

"I know what I want to do," Malone said. "I'm just not ready to say yet."

That may be because the Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to enter the bidding for his services. According to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale, coach Flip Saunders and star forward Kevin Garnett will visit Malone this week at his home near Newport Beach, Calif., in attempt to convince him to sign with the Wolves.

The Los Angeles Lakers, for whom Malone played last season, and the Miami Heat also have expressed interest in Malone.

Before he left for Europe with the U.S. Olympic team, Spurs executive vice president and coach Gregg Popovich said he would speak with Malone after his return. Popovich is vacationing and has yet to talk with Malone.

Malone said Wednesday that he understands that Popovich needed to "get away from everything" after the U.S. team's disappointing showing in Athens. They will talk just as soon as Popovich feels the time is right.

"I realize what coach Pop is going through," Malone said. "He stepped back and let me do my thing, and I'm going to do the same with him. When the time is appropriate, we will talk. I don't want anyone to think I'm stringing anyone along.

"If coach Pop calls today and says, 'We need to know something today,' out of respect for them I'll give them a decision. But I don't think they'd do it like that."

Meanwhile, Malone continues to work out, to the point where he now feels very confident about his right knee.

"I feel pretty good right now," Malone said. "I'm not rushing it, not in any hurry, but it's gone really well. I'm getting close (to 100 percent) and I know I'm going to be able to get back to 100 percent. Not 95 percent, but 100 percent. That's encouraging."

Malone stressed his need to be a real contributor for any team, not a "hired gun" for a team looking for a final piece of a championship puzzle. He watched the Spurs improve their roster over the summer by re-signing Manu Ginobili and signing free-agent shooting guard Brent Barry. They also signed free-agent power forwards Tony Massenburg and Sean Marks and small forward Linton Johnson III.

Those moves, Malone said, made the Spurs a strong title contender, with or without him.

"They told me everything they were going to do," he said, "and then they went out and did it. That's how they do business, and that's how I like to do business.

"It is one thing when a team calls that wants you to bring veteran leadership and be that final piece. It is another thing when a team that can win it all without Karl Malone — and the Spurs are that — calls you and says they still want you. That means a lot."

What remains a mystery is how Malone's family feels about relocating from the Los Angeles area, where some of his closest friends say his family has gotten comfortable since Malone signed with the Lakers last summer.

But what no longer appears to be an unknown is that Malone will, indeed, play a 20th NBA season. Some of those same friends are convinced he wants to end his brilliant career on his own terms.

Said one longtime associate, "In his mind, going out on his own terms doesn't mean going out on an injury."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikemonroe@express-news.net

P.S.  I really like your response westkoast.  Keep up the great commentary.   :up:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

Malone
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 08:52:13 AM »
:rofl:  :rofl:

Isn't that the Eric Idle character from the SP movie?

The same guy in ST. Paul who reported KG's punch also reported that KG went to talk to Malone to try and on convice Karl to sign with the Wolves.  Doesn't sound like that was correct, though Glen Taylor did say today that if Malone decides to play this year that the Wolves would definitley try and sign him.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:07:55 AM »
:rofl:  :rofl:

Isn't that the Eric Idle character from the SP movie?

The same guy in ST. Paul who reported KG's punch also reported that KG went to talk to Malone to try and on convice Karl to sign with the Wolves.  Doesn't sound like that was correct, though Glen Taylor did say today that if Malone decides to play this year that the Wolves would definitley try and sign him.
Karl would be a great addition to either team, the only thing i have against him is he seems to be jinxed, never won a title and the team that should have been the tea to end all teams didnt even win one with him on board,  i wold LIKE to think if he came here he could break the jinx and we could win a title with him...who knows he might jinx us as well.  I think Malone will want to play with a more aggresive superstar - I think if he has the chance he will take KG over TD.  his presence will make either team the odds on favorite this year.  still though...malone still seems like a jinx to me so even if the wolves do land him...i still feel like they still might fall flat come title time...

jn what do you think?  wou looking forward to having him on your team?  any worries?  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 11:37:24 AM »
hey now Malones not that old.  Crop out the hair and you just might have him tho.

The article Lurker posted answers tons but still keeps one guessing as to which team.
I don't think Malone tipped his hand in the article.