Author Topic: Sixers select Jrue Holiday at #17  (Read 7895 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers select Jrue Holiday at #17
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 09:20:56 AM »
Bill Simmons does not like the Holiday pick, you can sleep easy now Derek.  The world is right once again.  The Sixers are building a great young core of talent.  Do not trade Brand now, but get him back and prop up his offensive numbers for half a season in the PO and move him for some value to a team that needs him at or before the deadline.  The near total lack of quality bigs in this draft should make him more valuable if he comes back with anything left in the tank this year.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »
I really hope we address our starting pg situation.  I'd be fine with Miller or Bibby for 2-3 years, but we definitely need a veteran to step in and keep Lou away from the starting job. 

Despite my disappointment in Lou this season/post season, this is going to be a major off-season for him, and if he comes back with an improved jumper and is willing to attack the rim consistently, he can really be an asset off the bench for us.  Not only do I love the Jrue pick for the future, but I love what it does for our bench right now.  He gives us a big pg who we can cross with Lou (would have been an issue with Lawson), who can defend (like Ivey), but can also penetrate, pass, and score (unlike Ivey).  Combine those two with our young twin towers in Smith/Speights (who I believe will cause matchup problems for opposing 2nd units if on the floor together in spurts), and a lights out shooter in Kapono, and all of a sudden our bench is looking a lot stronger and much more well rounded. 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I think bringing back Ivey would be a smart move.  Holiday and Ivey are very similar, only Holiday has actual talent.  Still, going up against Ivey in practice and learning how to give max effort and whatnot would definitely be beneficial.  I have no doubt that Holiday could step in and give us what Ivey did last year right away, but I'm not sure that's prudent because I'd rather have him focusing on being a pure point rather than finding a spot in the corner to shoot 3s.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
If he can handle the ball well enough to bring it up, see the floor well enough to hit an open Brand, Iguodala or Young, and stay in front of his man on defense, he could actually play this season.  In a PO, with a bunch of fair passers, you don't need a great point, just one who can make that first pass.

It seems like the Sixers got lucky again and got a very talented player that consensus had going higher.

Now, if only we could get a decent Center from somewhere...

In theory this gives the Sixers more flexibility with Miller, who cannot hold them hostage or demand huge money.  We shouldn't need his scoring with Brand coming back and Young and Iguodala continuing to improve.  Jrue would only have to have enough offense to hit the open shot and keep defenses honest.  My only concern in that scenario is having Willie Green and Lou Williams as our back-up guards.  Obviously we're not going to pay Miller big money to come off the bench.

I would say the priority now is to replace Sam by upgrading the Center position. If the Sixers can keep Miller cheaply than fine, otherwise they let him walk and pick up a replacement in free agency.  Eddie Jordan, however, might not feel comfortable relying on a rookie point guard in his first season as a coach.

No one has seen enough from Speights or Smith to think we can just loose Sam, and be strong enough at Center.  With Brand at PF we're a little small, or at least a little short.  Speights seems like a PF to me, not a Center and I'm just not sure about Smith at all.  Young hasn't demonstrated the knack for getting lots of rebounds, so we need a real rebounding machine at Center to pair with Brand.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
We could run with Holiday-Iggy-Thad-Speights-Brand...not a true center, but Brand can guard a center and each of those guys are good rebounders for their position with the exception of Speights, who is really only useful on the O-boards.  But that's putting a lot of pressure on Holiday right off the bat, and unless he shows a helluva lot between now and the end of October, that's unlikely.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
took a little bit of time today during my lunch break to do a short write-up.

http://www.phillyarena.com/archives/2009-06-26/Sixers-select-UCLA-point-guard-Jrue-Holiday
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:58:16 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline steelerbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
Hello everyone. Brand new here. Great to have more sier boards to respond at. i totally agree with Derek's write up. I saw Jrue play in High School in person, and on the tube several times. he IS a legit PG. He's the only So-Cal player to ever lead his team to three national 4A Championships in the state of California. And comparing his physical traits to other recent PG's like D.Rose, Bayless and others, Holiday is right there with any of them. He's taller than Rose, has a better standing reach. Just barely behind in verticle, but that's mostly due to his 17/18 year old body not being fully developed yet. His sprint time at the pre-draft camp was just as fast as Rocket's guard Aaron brooks ran the year before, and he's not too slow is he ?

I just hope the sixers don't mess around at give this guy next to no PT this season. They have to throw him into the fire, just like the Celtics did Rondo. Just like D.Rose, and others. I mean it's not like we're gonna be a title contender anyways. i say get him ready, and let him learn. The kid has an excellant work ethic and attitude. And has been a winner everywhere he has played. I've read alot of comparisons to Holiday. The ones that come up most are a combo of Delonte West, and Jarret Jack. Man, they couldn't be more off target. When I have seen Holiday play. Given his style, and height, and great great defensive actics. i truly see a young Gary Payton, if I see anyone.
Only with a better attitude :-)

Anyways, great to post here. And a great write up Derek.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
Gary Payton.. interesting.  Don't think he has the quickness, but is bigger/less wiry build.  I think Payton was more of a score first guy- but it would be great if Holiday could approach his scoring.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »
Thanks, Derek.  That was a good read.   

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
Thanks, Derek.  That was a good read.   

Quite right, and an excellent explanation for the uninformed.  Holiday really was a full tier ahead of the other options at PG when the Sixers turn came up.  I love taht this team keeps picking high character guys, even Speights last year was not a character (i.e. trouble maker concern) issue guy, as much as ahe was/is a guy who simpy needs to be pushed to realize how good he can be.