Author Topic: Will I Turn Into JoMaL Light?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Will I Turn Into JoMaL Light?
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
"Among the names filed for according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website were: Anaheim Royals, Anaheim Royals of Southern California, Orange County Royals and Los Angeles Royals. The filing was made March 3 by attorney Scott Hervey on behalf of the Crickets Corp., a Nevada-based company."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6225619

The Lakers will always be my #1 team but I work just a hare over two miles away from both Anaheim stadiums.  Can't say that I wouldn't jump at the chance to go to a lot of 'Anaheim Royals' games depending on who they happen to be playing.  Especially when you factor in so much talent going to the east it is nice to have three chances to see the Heat, Knicks, Magic, Celtics, etc.  Plus the Lakers driving to me instead of me driving to them two times a year  :D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:23:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Will I Turn Into JoMaL Light?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »
The Lakers will always be my #1 team but I work just a hare over two miles away from both Anaheim stadiums.

A "hare"? Got Easter bunny on the brain or am I becoming "Dan light"?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
Not in your wildest dreams WOW, not in your wildest dreams!
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
The Lakers will always be my #1 team but I work just a hare over two miles away from both Anaheim stadiums.

A "hare"? Got Easter bunny on the brain or am I becoming "Dan light"?

I am one easter bunny away from The Pond / Angel Stadium.  A hip, a hop, and a jump away  ;)

Granted I don't think it is a good idea to have three teams in Southern California when it comes to basketball.  Especially with the overwhelming popularity of the Lakers but I can't help but be self centered and think how awesome this would be for me.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »
Anaheim city council is voting on a 75 million dollar bond measure to upgrade the Honda Center to NBA standards and to help the Maloofs with relocation costs.

The Lakers and Clippers are currently trying to block the deal via the rest of the NBA owners.  The Clippers because they don't want to fight with the Royals for the rest of the non-Laker fans in the area.  The Lakers, who just signed a 3 billion dollar TV deal (no joke), apparently could have 10% of that taken away if another team makes it into the market.

City Of Sacramento is trying to block is because apparently the Kings owe the city money as well.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
I don't understand the appeal of LA when it comes to putting a *third* team there.

The Lakers already rule the entire REGION, not just the city, and a third team would simply saturate the market.

The Kings aren't a good team, and as Koast points out, would have to fight the Clippers for what few non-Laker fans there are.

What's the deal with this move?  Why would Stern allow it?
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
^^ to allow Kobes another very short trip for an *away* game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
I don't understand the appeal of LA when it comes to putting a *third* team there.

The Lakers already rule the entire REGION, not just the city, and a third team would simply saturate the market.

The Kings aren't a good team, and as Koast points out, would have to fight the Clippers for what few non-Laker fans there are.

What's the deal with this move?  Why would Stern allow it?

Let me just play the other side for a minute here....tho we are on the same page for the most part, outside of my lazy desire to drive 2 miles from work to see pro basketball  ;D we fully agree.

As far as Los Angeles and Orange County residents are concerned, we don't like to drive to each others 'area'.  People from LA don't like to come down to Orange County if they don't have to and those of us in Orange County don't like to go up to LA if we don't have to.  I wouldn't call it resentment or hate from either area but we live where we live.  The LA people think OC is boring and too 'cookie cutter' and people in OC hate the LA traffic and think its 'dirty'.  So to have a team in Orange County and one in LA, isn't all that crazy of an idea.  There is close to 4 million people living in Orange County currently with another large chunk of 'tourists' who come to the area for Disneyland, the beach, and Surf City USA.

The NBA has wanted a team to go up into Orange County for a while now because it is still a 4 million person market.  God knows how many people have tried to convince the Clippers to move to Anaheim, play at the Honda Center, yet still be a 'Los Angeles' team in name.  It seems like just about every couple of years the idea gets flirted with where the Clippers will play a few home games up here or someone will mention the idea of them becoming the Orange County team.

To my knowledge the other owners have the power to block it but Stern does not directly.  I could be wrong but I think that is how this works.  The league has input but the owners are the deciding factor via votes.