Author Topic: Spurs dream season finally hits a bump...  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs dream season finally hits a bump...
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Parker out 2-4 weeks with a strained left soleus.

George Hill will no doubt step in at fulltime point, altho often Manu acts as ball handler with his superior assist skills.
Hopefully other Spurs will just continue to up their game like super rookie Gary Neal.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs dream season finally hits a bump...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:51 AM »
blah--what a start.
Memphis 109 Spurs 93  :-[

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
Lakers 99 Spurs 83

Some of the most pathetic defense the Spurs have ever played.

Props to Lakers for hitting shots.

Better for Pop if he can avoid Phil in the playoffs.
Better if Mavs took out the Lakers.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
Lakers 99 Spurs 83

Some of the most pathetic defense the Spurs have ever played.

Props to Lakers for hitting shots.

Better for Pop if he can avoid Phil in the playoffs.
Better if Mavs took out the Lakers.

One of the strangest Spurs games I've seen in a long time.  After the Lakers got out to an early lead I got worried.  Well coached teams usually will fight back into a game after time passes but that never happened with the Spurs last night.  I was waiting and waiting for that Tony Parker sparked 10-15 point run but it never took off.

Now I don't want to chalk this up to them pushing out a lot of energy this year to lead the league in the standings and staying ahead the entire season thus far but I don't know what else it could be.  Both Duncan and Blair didn't seem to have the energy/legs to rebound well.  Bynum was eating Duncan's lunch on the back board it seemed last night.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »
fwiw Kobes said the score could have been reversed on any given game between these two and that both teams know this.
I dunno about that but yes the Spurs have at least built a standings cushion and i guess technically they are 2-1 vs the Lakers.

We know many an NBA player parties/has 14 girlfriends.  Does this extend to the Spurs and were they at some blowout last night?
Biggest goof i saw was on help/no help defense.  Lakers throw ball down to Bynum (or Gasol, or Kobes).  Spur guard/sf decides hes going to drop down and double.  No wait, he's staying on his man.  No not that either.  Just stuck in between in lala land with head up bum.  Lakers make simple pass to WIDE open Laker who drains shot while said Spur is caught in lala land no where near shooter. 

Its like either double or don't.  Lame!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
fwiw Kobes said the score could have been reversed on any given game between these two and that both teams know this.
I dunno about that but yes the Spurs have at least built a standings cushion and i guess technically they are 2-1 vs the Lakers.

We know many an NBA player parties/has 14 girlfriends.  Does this extend to the Spurs and were they at some blowout last night?
Biggest goof i saw was on help/no help defense.  Lakers throw ball down to Bynum (or Gasol, or Kobes).  Spur guard/sf decides hes going to drop down and double.  No wait, he's staying on his man.  No not that either.  Just stuck in between in lala land with head up bum.  Lakers make simple pass to WIDE open Laker who drains shot while said Spur is caught in lala land no where near shooter. 

Its like either double or don't.  Lame!

Yeah I don't think the Laker win yesterday all the sudden means that they are light years ahead of the Spurs.  That could just as easily have been the Lakers taking a thrashing.

The spacing and the rebounding were extra bad last night.  Just like you said a lot of guys were stuck in limbo. That is not something you ever see with a Greg Popavich coached team.  It looked like they just got back from playing a back to back out of town.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
another.bump.large.one.

11-3 since ASB and I'm okay with the Heat and Laker blowouts when counteracted with the season series and 11 wins.  But this Duncan injury  :-\

The timing is good in that he should be healed by the playoffs.
Tiago Splitter now getting big minutes should do nothing but help his development.  10 and 14 in last nights win.  :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
What was up last night? wow.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
What was up last night? wow.
Awesome game to watch, many good things for Spurs despite failing at the end.

Gary Neal.  Gets my vote for rookie of the year and I'm not Homer Simpsoning.  Of course if Griffin is still technically a rookie he rules.  Back to the game.  Neal was nails, as was Manu for most of the game.  The end Manu made a nice block then led what became a 4 on 2 and he had the chance to pass to Neal wide open on the left or Parker just to his right.  He should have chosen Parker who then should have completed by passing the easy 4 on 2.  Neal instead stopped and popped from 3 point land in spite of the game being tied.  Great if you hit, but in retro a bonehead play as he clanked and Denver got the rebound.  Also the final two shots the Spurs had plenty of threats on the floor but Popazit made the play all about Manu and he was gassed by then, barely drew iron.

Splitter looked very good for a rook, he can hang.  Bonner was in playoff form, which means he mostly sucked and Denver made it a point to have Harrington go at him again and again for money.  Blair had a highlight reel dunk but also missed a two handed dunk late that ended up hurting.

Another Popazit failure that needs to be stopped ASAP is Blair/Bonner as the frontline when Splitter is available.  Bonner

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
5 loses in a row, only 2 games up on the Lakers for the #1 seed.

I think with losing that many games heading into the playoffs the dream turned into a nightmare.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »
It was a nightmare indeed, and still may be.
But...what a turnaround.
Spurs blast Phoenix, Kenyon Martin and the Nuggs slap the Lakers and Dallas loses.

Just like that the Spurs at the worst have #2 seed wrapped up.
Seems like the game vs Lakers on Tues Ap 12th will be for all the West Conf marbles and possibly #1 overall too.  That is if the Bulls ever lose again this reg season.

Waiting to hear what the status of Bynums knee is....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
Solid win at ATL with Pop still showing signs of throwing it all away again ie his abhorent overuse of Bonbon.

Gordon Haywood Jazz rookie  :-*

With a diet of Pacific Patsies from here on out the Spurs #1 West seed is a lock.
Lakers are fine with #2 I'm sure.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
Win or go home is the way i see it.
Can't see Popovich being able to come back from down 0-2 so tonights is crucial.

Why Splitter is on the bench while Memphis bigs go apestick is beyond me.....
Timmy Dunks left out to hang -again.
Parkers end of game with Spurs +2, leaving the three point shooter open for the loss is inexcusable.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Spurs are done
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
Hey, y'all:

The Spurs look old and in the way (for all of you Dead fans out there)...kind of like Derek Fisher. They will be fortunate to make it out of the first round of the playoffs...watching TD getting schooled by Mark Gasol is a sad thing. Dang!

~RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
Nice analogy from a RealSpurs board re Chef Numb Nutts Pop and his finishing ruination of the Spurs beginning with overuse/contract extension of Finley, Bonner, Soft Dick Jefferson combined with refusal to sign Luis Scola, go after another big, bench Blair after he went 51-11 as a starter, refuse to play 7'0" Splitter.......

If you have to make a cake and you don't have eggs, you make it without eggs. That's pretty much what Pop did. The kicker is that he's the one that could have bought the eggs.

Second, the analogy needs tweaking: Pop is a professional cake baker who cooks cakes from a boxed cake mix. For years people have said that Pop is a great chef. He tells people that he just reads the back of the box and lets the ingredients do all the real work. One day, for a big event, he spontaneously decides to start making cakes using radishes instead of eggs. He has eggs in the fridge, but he just uses radishes. When people say the cakes taste like shit, he says that the ingredients need to be fresher or just makes a smart-assed statement about how the person asking the question isn't a chef. He goes and buys the most expensive radishes he can find, selling only radish cakes while his business goes down the tubes.