Author Topic: Any interest in anyone from Utah?  (Read 3967 times)

jemagee

Re: Any interest in anyone from Utah?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »
Jazz are reportedly willing to trade anyone other than deron williams

To get under the luxury tax level is what most reports indicate, how can the sixers help them do that?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
I think they might be willing to trade Kirilenko regardless.

The Jazz are about 5 million over the projected luxury tax. They're going to have a hard time getting that done.

'sides, just bringing it up for discussion.  this place has been dead lately.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »
Well not entirely dead - but it's hard when I can't see what's being posted :)

I don't know about Kirilenko - I know he has a long term deal that they'd like to get rid of - but he's kidn of this enigma dude who seems to be over paid...if the jazz are looking to cut costs some how, you can play with that 25% number I guess...but I doubt that they'd want a guy like Brand, they have PF's galore no?

Which means Sam or Andre Iguodala going for him right?  I guess Sam if it worked, cause I'd give up Sam for a bag of doritos, but for the length of his contract what does Kirilenko do to make this team that much better that it's worth paying someone to take Sam (cause you know the sixers are going to have to include incentive to take sam this year)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
Kirilenko's deals the same length as Sammy.

What do you mean you can't see what's being posted?  That should all be resolved.  I've tried it on all browsers (I even booted up a damned windows vm to test it on ie 6 and 7).  Try clearing your browser cache.  you might have the old css cached in your browser.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
Kirilenko's deals the same length as Sammy.

What do you mean you can't see what's being posted?  That should all be resolved.  I've tried it on all browsers (I even booted up a damned windows vm to test it on ie 6 and 7).  Try clearing your browser cache.  you might have the old css cached in your browser.

Nope - nothing to do with the site itself more of a preference of my own making :)

I know the contracts are the same length but there's that 25% wiggle, I know sam makes less than Kirilenko (but also know the contracts don't work straight up) - just saying - a guy like Kirilenko isn't going to be cheap - and for the next year and a half how does he 'help' the sixers win anything?  And is his expiring contract in 2011 better than sams?  I personally think the bigger an expiring contract, the harder it is to move because you gotta make pieces fit...

I wouldn't give up Brand or Iguodala for Kirilenko, which leaves Sam (plus pieces) in terms of fitting the contracts,  but I"m not sure Jerry Sloan wouldn't kill Sam after a week...in fact there was one report today talking about teams loooking to make moves purely to save salary, and one of those was the sixers (i don't remember which paper, it's the hoopshype rumors page)...

I just don't see a fit between the sixers roster and my 'perceived' motivations of the sixers (saving money) and the jazz and their roster and their primary motivation (saving money)...there are teams out there that are going to benefit from desperation (like the grizz did with the jazz) but the sixers are one of the 'desperate' to me...

I like the cleveland trade - let's make that one :)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
I doubt the Sixers would be willing to trade Sam (+ whatever minor filler+ for Kirilenko) because of how close we are to the luxury tax.  That's probably the only way Utah trades kirilenko.  Unless you include something like Speights, which I wouldn't do.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
And that was kind of my original point - Utah is willing to trade anyone to get under the tax, this and next year, but the sixers are in the same boat, they aren't looking to take on salary - they are looking to shed it - and their 3 big salaries are two guys i wouldn't trade for kirilenko (brand iguodala) and one no one wants (sam)

This whole fear of the luxury tax combined with the lowering salary cap next season is going to be a way for smart teams to take advantage of the situation - panicked financially strapped teams who see dollars first and basketball on the court second (like the sixers) are going to get rogered when they get desperate and closer to that 'do or die' line for paying that luxury tax.

I expect the sixers to be much worse by the trading deadline in 2011

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
This is about the closest I could find of something that might make sense, financially:
http://www.phillyarena.com/archives/2010-01-05/Morning-Trade-Rumors

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »
I'll post some stuff (I do love that trade machine), but before I do, I have one question.  Is Jason Kapono expiring this year or next? ESPN has him as an expiring and HoopsHype has him as this year and next, and I haven't been able to find anything solid.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »
I'll post some stuff (I do love that trade machine), but before I do, I have one question.  Is Jason Kapono expiring this year or next? ESPN has him as an expiring and HoopsHype has him as this year and next, and I haven't been able to find anything solid.

The best place for contract info is storytellers i believe the new site is storetellerscontracts.com - according to them - kapono has a 6 million (approximate) player option for next year.

Anyone doubt he'll pick that option up

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
Thanks a lot jem.

So I went to the trade machine and the only thing I could come up with was Dalembert, Green, Smith, and Ivey for Kirilenko, Korver, and Fesenko.  And then I looked at DBods' post and saw that he came up with pretty much exactly the same thing (for those wondering, Dalembert, Green, and Smith for Kirilenko and Korver misses by like 100K, so there needs to be something just kinda tacked onto the back end for it to work).  It actually does make some sense for both teams.  The money's just about even when factoring in the trade kicker, but the Jazz get the cap room they need.

As a side note, if (hypothetically) Dalembert is traded twice, does the trade kicker get paid both times?