Author Topic: Draft thoughts?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Draft thoughts?
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »
can't believe there's not a thread on this yet. 

I was really happy with my draft through the first 8 rounds, although I took some calculated risks (Josh Smith would have a bounceback year, Anthony Randolph would take what he showed at the end of the year and continue to get PT and develop). 

Louis Williams was a definite reach, but I was willing to take a gamble on him.  With nobody legitimate behind him (Ivey doesn't have talent, Holiday doesn't have experience, etc), he should get some decent minutes, and if he gets 35+ mpg he should put up some numbers (even if his impact isn't as strong).  That being said, there were some better options.  I was justifying taking this risk with the hope that on my next round of picks I would be able to get one of either Tyreke Evans or Jonny Flynn, both rookies I'm fairly high on.  Neither of them made it to my next pick, which is what's tough about being on one of the ends of the draft.

I can't complain too much about Miller (10th round) or Abubuike (12th round).  I probably would have taken Gasol over Miller in the 10th, but Thabeet makes me a bit nervous about Gasol's long term (RE: Jan +) fantasy impact.  Golden State always makes me nervous with their rotation, but I needed a SG/SF bad, and if Azu gets time similar to last year, I like him in the 12th round (hopefully Jackson gets his wish and gets traded). 

Harden's a slight risk in the 11th, but the only risk in his playing time/looks.  If he gets the opportunity, he'll put up 14/4, and has the ability to go higher.  Of course, I now have two Thunder wing players.  Hopefully Green stays at PF full time this year.

13th round was a major gaffe.  I thought it was the 14th round, so I took Hickson on the off chance he could beat out (or at least get similar minutes to) Vareajo, but realizing that he would likely be dropped.  Unfortunately it was the 13th round, and there was still some talent standing around.  Oops.

Overall I'd rate myself as a B on the draft

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Draft thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
I liked this draft more than any I've had.

I didn't think Duncan would slip to me, but he did, and I couldn't push the "DRAFT" button fast enough.

Rose - my fourth-rounder - is more of a long-term pick.  He's clearly keeper-worthy, and should take a step forward in his second year.  All that said, it was really hard to pass on David Lee.  BTW, great fifth-round pick, Derek.

Davis is a boom-or-bust pick, but I really think he comes back strong this year.  Call me a believer.

Terry was a 3-pointers pick.  Solid, not spectacular, selection in the sixth.

Diaw is the only one of my first ten or so picks that I'm uncomfortable with.  If he gets the time and puts up numbers similar to last year's, he'll be worth it.  If not, I passed on too many other good players here.

Oden is a great pick.  It might be the pick that puts me over the top.  He dedicated himself to basketball in the offseason, working with Brian Grant everyday, and in the preseason at least, the results are there.

AI will put up numbers in Memphis.  He always has.  IMO, great value pick in the ninth.

Prince is simply too solid to pass up in the tenth.

Brewer was steals pick in the 11th.

Chandler and Perkins are on my team to rebound and block shots, and hopefully Gallinari gives me some threes and scoring.  If not, he gets dropped.  A 13th-round flyer.

Overall, this is a very versatile group that's solid in pretty much every category, and strong in a few.  No obvious weaknesses abound, and I like my chances to make the playoffs.

B+/A-
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Draft thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
I really messed up when I took Mayo and Magette, fucking bathroom break, that round was supposed to be T. Parker and E. Gordon.  I was disappointed not to get Evans and looking back it was a gamble to take Ellis over Davis.  Not sure what grade I would give myself...B-/C+?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"