Author Topic: Eddie Jordan Fired - Moving Forward  (Read 5135 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Eddie Jordan Fired - Moving Forward
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
Good riddance.  He's out.  Now, a couple questions for everyone here (man, its been eons since I've posted here). 

Who does everyone think will be coaching this team next year?

Who does everyone want to coach this team next year? 

Who does everyone think we might target for the job? 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Eddie Jordan Fired - Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
Good riddance.  He's out.  Now, a couple questions for everyone here (man, its been eons since I've posted here). 

Who does everyone think will be coaching this team next year?

Who does everyone want to coach this team next year? 

Who does everyone think we might target for the job? 

Larry

But first - get rid of the real Ed.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
Larry is too old. 70 man.  Besides, he's got a good thing going in Carolina.

Best news out of the Sixers since the season started. A complete waste of a season and a lost opportunity to develop the team. They should have fired Eddie before the all-star break.  It was absurd to give him a deal with guaranteed money, whoever signed off on that needs to go!

I don't know who the Sixers should get to coach, some Brown protege maybe.  Can McKie do it? Does he remember enough of Larry's defense to teach it to these guys?

Find a coach who emphasizes D and a power offense, inside-out.  Someone who sees developing Smith and Speights as a necessity, and not a luxury.  Everyone cried about Speights defense, but his offense made a difference when the team couldn't score against a zone or in a half court game.  It would have been better for the Sixers to give up some more on defense just to have his scoring in there, Besides, he was learning how to play better defense and rebound, and at least he played with an attitude.

Any coach would be an improvement and a decent draft pick will also help.

Offline wow444

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - sportsrockfun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
I think it will be Brown for a couple of years.  He may just do the GM thing

I'd prefer Thobodeau.  Second choice would be eSnow.  He has a more firey personality than McKie and he understands both sides of the ball.  He also is familiar with the city.  He or Brown would do wonders for Jrue.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
For old Sixer players, I'd like to see Rick Mahorn get a shot at this.  And although he wasn't around long in Philly, Jeff Hornacek might make a good coach.

For the former coaches out there that are worth something, the ones I think might fit are Dwane Casey and Terry Porter.  An interesting fit, from the point of developing the young big men, is Paul Silas.

For an assistant moving up to coach, I think it's time folks looked seriously at Tim Grgrich in Denver.

If you want a Larry Brown disciple, how about Mark Jackson?  (I think it's a bad idea, though.)

However - I'm going to make my pick....I'm going to guess the next Sixer coach is....DOUG COLLINS.  And for two years, that's not terrible.  You'll have to fire him in the third year, though.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
Does Jerry Sloan have coaches under him that are ready to step up?  This Sixers team needs a strong disciplinarian, who emphasizes playing the right way.  Particularly on offense the Sixers did so many STUPID things that you have to question their judgment. I think Lou Williams is a very a talented ball player, but when he made a side-line to side-line pass that got picked off and led to an easy layup, I think it showed how missing the experience of college was a very bad thing.   

Seriously. Eddie Jordan was an idiot who was allegedly an offensive genius. I never saw any plays out of the Sixers this season that would lead me to believe Eddie Jordan was competent as a coach. The Sixers are young, talented, athletic and inexperienced. They need to be shown the right way to play in order to gain understanding.  Eddie Jordan set-back their development and may have even ruined some of the players.  Smith and Speights never got the time they needed. Thad Young was completely misused. Lou Williams got a raw deal, and Jrue Holiday got jerked around all season. Eddie even benched Elton Brand.

Even though he might have been suspended and fined. I think Brand should have thrown Jordan through a locker.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
As for Sloan assistants, obviously, the big name is Phil Johnson, Sloan's top assistant, who is a former Coach Of The Year winner.  Of course, if you want to try to get Johnson, you might be better off trying to get Sloan.  Tyrone Corbin isn't ready (in my opinion), and Scott Layden is more of a front-office type (as you may remember from his stint in New York).

There's a former Sloan guy out there - Gordon Chiesa - and I'm not sure where he is now.  He's been a bit of a vagabond after leaving Utah.  He's probably available, and is also probably ready.

But if what you're looking for is a disciplinarian, there are two of them out there.  Of course, one of them, I'd be very tenative about - Reggie Theus - and the other, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole - P. J. Carlesimo (or as I call him, "P.J.  Car-loss-imo."  I can come up with a ton of reasons that Carlossimo is a great fit - I can make a great argument - just as long as you're willing to overlook the fact that he's an awful head coach.

Are you more in need of a TEACHER than a DISCIPLINARIAN?  Tim Grgrich is out there, and I think he'd be great.  It's about time he got a real chance.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
They are young and some of them are immature, so they need someone who's both a teacher and someone the players will respect.  That was the problem with Eddie Jordan, as soon as he opened his mouth they knew he was a tool, and the way he coached games was incredibly poor.

I still think the team has enormous potential, but you'd never have noticed it this season. I think for this team's best future it needs a very good coach to get these guys to play smart basketball and put them in a position to succeed. They have enough speed and height to be a decent defensive team, and have enough slashers and big men to run a sound half-court offense.  But for that potential to become a reality, they have to be led, 'cause they don't know enough to do it on their own.

I am sure that there are coaches out there who would be a good fit. I just don't know who they are. Seeing how OKC plays, I wish they got Brooks!