Author Topic: I cannot believe I'm writing this.  (Read 6884 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
I cannot believe I'm writing this.
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
No other fan in Philadelphia immediately comes to mind - ahead of me - when one thinks historic Sam-bashing.

I have done everything in my vocal power (and significant writing talents) to get this guy canned.  Year in, year out I have beat the drum about Sam's off-season (lack of preparation)...his mind-boggling inability to improve from season to season...his incredibly stupid play...

But this needs to be said:

Sam belongs in the all star game this year.

Back up and read that again; I'll wait.

Consider his competition:

I give you Howard; he should and will start.

But in the east, the center inventory is very suspect (ie. David Lee?  c'mon, he's no center.  What's that guy, 6-foot-8?  Joakim Noah?  On a team with Brad Miller?  He's the quintessential power forward.)  Indeed - Sam is, this year, an all star.:

-Among centers who've played 40 games this year, only Howard has more rebounds-per-40.  And he beats Sam by less than ONE.

-Sam is second in the league in blocks* (second in centers, too)...only .2 behind Howard.

Incredibly (and I'm not even sure I believe this stat), Sam is TWELFTH in turnovers among centers.  Indeed he has less than half of Howard's total.

And while he's only 9th in double doubles for centers, Sam plays FAR fewer minutes than do those ahead of him in this category.  In fact if anything keeps him out this year, it's his minutes played.  WAY LOW for a center of his sudden standing. 

I'll even go out on a limb and say that Sam should now be discussed in the same conversations involving the Al Jefferson's of the world.  After all, Sam is a far better rebounder (same amount in EIGHT less min's played); 2-3 TIMES the blocker; much better % shooter.  Al kills him in points, but not much else.

Anyway - there.

I said it.

Mark today's date.

*It's only fair that I point out that I am also the fan leader on the stance that blocks are overrated.  Not entirely insignificant...but vastly overrated.  BUT this is certainly a stat associated with centers, and plays a role in their all star selection.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:32:09 PM by RickyPryor »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I cannot believe I'm writing this.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:07 PM »
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, especially about this, but I do agree that Sam deservers an All-Star spot.

You could also make a case for Andre Iguodala.  Who is listed as a guard and is 2nd among all active easat NBA guards in points, rebounds and assists.

Both players are playing on a losing team, however, and it's hard to justify all-start starting positions to players from teams with losing records.  Iverson gets a pass, because the fans want him.

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
Joakim Noah is my pick.  If Sammy was given 30-32 minutes a game he would be in it. 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
Joakim Noah is my pick.  If Sammy was given 30-32 minutes a game he would be in it. 

Noah's a 4 for my money.  But fair enough.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:12 PM »
Have to disagree.

Here's what it *REALLY* boils down to:  Is Dalembert a top-caliber player that BELONGS at All-Star weekend?  All you have to do is listen to you guys who actually get to watch him frequently, and you'll quickly see the answer is *NO*.

A limited and under-performing Shaquille O'Neal is a better choice.  Ditto for an undersized/overwhelmed David Lee.  I'd even argue Troy Murphy and Andrew Bogut, or even a decrepit has-been like Ben Wallace or Jermaine O'Neal.

The fact is that Dalembert isn't in the class of player that any of the players I listed are, despite the fact that he's producing numbers in some cases that exceed some of theirs.  But there's a significant difference in SKILL LEVEL, not to mention plain old "basketball smarts."

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
Here's what it *REALLY* boils down to:  Is Dalembert a top-caliber player that BELONGS at All-Star weekend?  All you have to do is listen to you guys who actually get to watch him frequently, and you'll quickly see the answer is *NO*.

Actually, Sixers fans have virtually no complaints of Sammy D this year.

Wallace and O'Neal (either) would only get in on name recognition.  Neither are producing (or effecting) at the level Dalembert it.  Murphy is laughable, and is as one-dimensional as Sammy, just a different dimension that is more valued by the general public.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
  But there's a significant difference in SKILL LEVEL, not to mention plain old "basketball smarts."

Fortunately for Sam, these two traits are irrelevant for All Star weekend.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
But coaches aren't confined to positions.  They can choose a power forward to be the backup center.  My vote goes to Bosh. 

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SJSF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »
It just goes to show that the center position is very weak, But i think Noah can play the 5.  But is more of a 4.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 07:05:36 AM »
Er....never mind.

No other fan in Philadelphia immediately comes to mind - ahead of me - when one thinks historic Sam-bashing.

I have done everything in my vocal power (and significant writing talents) to get this guy canned.  Year in, year out I have beat the drum about Sam's off-season (lack of preparation)...his mind-boggling inability to improve from season to season...his incredibly stupid play...

But this needs to be said:

Sam belongs in the all star game this year.

Back up and read that again; I'll wait.

Consider his competition:

I give you Howard; he should and will start.

But in the east, the center inventory is very suspect (ie. David Lee?  c'mon, he's no center.  What's that guy, 6-foot-8?  Joakim Noah?  On a team with Brad Miller?  He's the quintessential power forward.)  Indeed - Sam is, this year, an all star.:

-Among centers who've played 40 games this year, only Howard has more rebounds-per-40.  And he beats Sam by less than ONE.

-Sam is second in the league in blocks* (second in centers, too)...only .2 behind Howard.

Incredibly (and I'm not even sure I believe this stat), Sam is TWELFTH in turnovers among centers.  Indeed he has less than half of Howard's total.

And while he's only 9th in double doubles for centers, Sam plays FAR fewer minutes than do those ahead of him in this category.  In fact if anything keeps him out this year, it's his minutes played.  WAY LOW for a center of his sudden standing. 

I'll even go out on a limb and say that Sam should now be discussed in the same conversations involving the Al Jefferson's of the world.  After all, Sam is a far better rebounder (same amount in EIGHT less min's played); 2-3 TIMES the blocker; much better % shooter.  Al kills him in points, but not much else.

Anyway - there.

I said it.

Mark today's date.

*It's only fair that I point out that I am also the fan leader on the stance that blocks are overrated.  Not entirely insignificant...but vastly overrated.  BUT this is certainly a stat associated with centers, and plays a role in their all star selection.