Author Topic: What's next Eagles?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What's next Eagles?
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
Reid?  I know he won't get canned but how much of this do you put on him and do you want him replaced, even if he won't be?  Wade Phillips was coaching for his job, that's for sure.  Reid seems, i dunno "comfy".  As in zero pressure from the owner.

Vick?  Would you have liked to have seen more of him vs Dallas both games?  Do you want to keep him on the team for next year?  If so, use him how?

Offline Welfare Fraud

• View Profile
Re: What's next Eagles?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
We got out played and out coached on both sides of the ball. I'll give McDermott a pass on D since he had to shuffle a lot of players around, and our D-line didn't do a good job pressuring Romo. In the Week 17 game against Dallas he didn't blitz much, in the playoff game he did. Neither worked but at least he tried something different. We just didn't have the talent to get it done, and our offense didn't exactly make things easier. Hopefully Bradley stays healthy next season and we find another good pass rushing DE.

Andy (and Marty) on the other hand.. there didn't seem to be any adjustments between games. If you can stop the big play you can stop our offense. Field position, time of possession, keeping the opposing team's pressure off balance with the run game.. all that takes a back seat to trying to score in 1 or 2 plays. Dallas' defense is playing well but they aren't the 2000 Ravens, we shouldn't have been shut down in back to back games like that.

That said, I still think we would have lost even if we had a better offensive gameplan, so my hate for Andy isn't as strong as it usually would be.

I think Vick's salary jumps up to 5 mil so they'll probably try to trade him for a pick, which is what I would do. I'm more interested in seeing what happens with McNabb.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
I think Welfare Fraud hit it one the head. Need to strengthen the offensive and defensive lines. Assante Samuel and Sheldon Brown can't tackle. Our linebackers need to be upgraded badly.

All things considered a good season for the Eagles in what was a rebuilding year. Injuries were a significant problem.  Still I would rather be an Eagles fan than one for the Giants or Washington.

Offline Welfare Fraud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
Assante Samuel and Sheldon Brown can't tackle.
Today on DNL someone (Les Bowen?) said it right... Asante only cares about stats. And judging from how contracts and pro bowl selections are made, I can't blame him since the only stat that matters to a CB are the INTs.

After the game they asked McDermott why they didn't press the receivers when Dallas was doing all those screens to the WRs, McDermott more or less said he wanted to press the receivers but Asante does his own thing. ::)

Sheldon is usually a good tackler but he was pretty banged up at the end of the season, and you could see it in his play. I'm a big Sheldon Brown fan though so maybe I'm biased.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »
Are you guys comfy with Reids position being comfy?

2.  Vick.  Team option?  If so, can they trade him?
I think he should have been used more.  However i also think the NFL, Eagles, Dungy et all agreed in word only to limit his play.  Not to take a chance on pressuring him into any kind of off field negative behavior.  No, i dont think he was going to do dogs again, but i do think if he was put in a high pressure situation win or lose he might revert to some old habits.  Smoke, drink, women.  And with all the TMZ types fishbowling him, i think they agreed to limit his playtime.  Whether Vick liked it or not.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
IMO Reid did a great job rebuilding the team, and while they didn't succeed, they were pretty close (except when it came to the Cowboys) It's also important to note that the Eagles had a lot of injuries on their offensive line and with their linebackers and other positions. If those players were able to play this season the gap between us and the better teams might not have been so large.

Over the past decade Reid has done a great job of keeping the team on top of the division and the NFC. If anyone is entitled to be "cozy" it's him.  I wish he'd surrender the play calling to someone else completely, but he's one of the best talent men in the game. (I wonder how good he'll be without Heckert, however.) The Eagles have the third best record in the league over the past decade. The only thing missing is a Super Bowl victory, and I still think Reid is our best chance of getting one.

What's next is what is always next for any team that doesn't win the SuperBowl. You go out and get some new guys to replace the old ones and you try, try again.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
Yes here it was learned after game 5 (2-3 record) that Norv Turner would have another coach *assist* him in playcalling.  (Read, basically take over)
The difference is glaring, the Bolts O has finally begun utilizing talent like they should have been doing since the Marty years on up.  Same thing happened with Marty in 2006, he was stripped of Martyball duties and Cam Cameron took over the O calling 100%.  Immediate turnaround.  Coincidentally also after the 5th game that year.  Both seasons the Bolts went on to rip off 11 straight wins.

So maybe Reid would follow your advice and get an O playcaller?  Or is he Popavich when it comes to control?