Author Topic: Al Jefferson on the block?  (Read 5856 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Al Jefferson on the block?
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
From ESPN's Rumor Central:

With Minnesota floundering along at a 7-29 record, there's word Al Jefferson may be on the trading block, as there are questions about where he fits into new coach Kurt Rambis' triangle offense and with fellow big-man Kevin Love.

But ESPN's Marc Stein isn't getting the impression the Wolves are interested in trading Jefferson.

Yet, if Jefferson were to become available at all, a couple teams needing frontline help, including the Bulls and Trail Blazers, could come calling.

Normally, I wouldn't jump out at any rumor, but it did get me thinking: would you trade Iggy for Jefferson?  A second deal would almost hafta be made for a SG/SF type (Speights would become a spare piece that could be used as bait), but you would have a starting lineup of AI-Lou-Thad-Jeff-Brand with Dalembert getting his 24ish minutes off the bench, Thad getting to play his position and his position only, and it would open a lot of minutes for Holiday (and Green, but I'm trying to think positive here).  I'm not sure I would do it or who would say first, really just a thought experiment.

jemagee

Re: Al Jefferson on the block?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
Sure I would - but the wolves won't - it's like the rumors that the kings are ready to trade kevin martin - other teams don't give up on something that hasn't really had a chance to work yet - just the sixers :)

Offline SJSF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
I would take any good  big over any good small

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
I'd drive Iguodala to the airport and pick up Jefferson.

Offline SJSF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
Iggy needs to go. He is an anchor to the Sixers. He is the epitome of .500 team.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
uh huh.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
No way would I trade Iguodala for Jefferson.   Somebody better kill Jordan quick, because all of this trade nonsense is making me sick!

Iguodala is a piece on a championship team, IMO, so it makes no sense to trade him.   Anchor, keeping the Sixers below .500?  You have a right to your opinion, but you would make a lousy GM!

The biggest problem with the roster, besides the coach, is a lack of a real leader.  No one on the team seems to have that personality, Iguodala and Brand are a little too cool.  Iverson is to old to be the leader. No one else on the roster seems to stand out in that regard. Good little soldiers, but no chiefs. 

The only trade I would consider would be one which would bring a good leader to the team.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
Iguodala is a PIECE of a championship team.  So was Bruce Bowen.

I'm not saying Iguodala is just a glorified Bruce Bowen, but he's no Kobe Bryant, either.

I think you're misstating Iguodala's value.  He's a component part (kind of like Al Jefferson in that regard), but he's not one of those complete game-changers.  But he's not a TYPICAL component part, either.  He's a very good player who can be the best player on a mediocre (or less) team, or a somewhere between 2-and-4 guy on a great team.  The question is what he's being paid for being a 2-to-4 guy.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SJSF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »
Iguodala is only a player that has decent numbers against bad teams and other players that aren't really good.  For all the minutes he plays he should average 25 points a game and be an all-star. But he doesn't have that ability. He is a decent player that wa paid like a franchise guy. What a mistake that was.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Iguodala is only a player that has decent numbers against bad teams and other players that aren't really good

20 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.3 spg against boston this year.
19 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.0 spg against cleveland.
19.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg against denver
24/9 against phoenix
18.5, 5.5 and 5.5 against portland
20.5, 8.5, 7.5 with 4.5 steals against san antonio
28, 6 and 4 against oklahoma city

last year he averaged 20.7, 4.3, 7 against atlanta.  17.5, 4.8 and 4.8 against boston.  23.3, 6.3 and 4.3 against cleveland.  20/8/3 against dallas.  22 ppg on 49% shooting against the lakers.  25.3, 4.5 and 5.5 against new orleans.  18.3, 7.3 and 6.3 against orlando.  27 ppg and 5.5 apg against portland.  23 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 8.0 apg against the spurs. 

I could continue going on, but I think the point's been made.  That statement is categorically false.

For all the minutes he plays he should average 25 points a game and be an all-star

If the only value in basketball is scoring, maybe.  Makes no sense to disregard somebody's contributions because he doesn't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

For all the minutes he plays he should average 25 points a game and be an all-star

Except he's not.  He's not in the top 40 in salary this year.

Offline SJSF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »
Iguodala is only a player that has decent numbers against bad teams and other players that aren't really good

20 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 5.3 apg, 1.3 spg against boston this year.
19 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.0 spg against cleveland.
19.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg against denver
24/9 against phoenix
18.5, 5.5 and 5.5 against portland
20.5, 8.5, 7.5 with 4.5 steals against san antonio
28, 6 and 4 against oklahoma city

last year he averaged 20.7, 4.3, 7 against atlanta.  17.5, 4.8 and 4.8 against boston.  23.3, 6.3 and 4.3 against cleveland.  20/8/3 against dallas.  22 ppg on 49% shooting against the lakers.  25.3, 4.5 and 5.5 against new orleans.  18.3, 7.3 and 6.3 against orlando.  27 ppg and 5.5 apg against portland.  23 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 8.0 apg against the spurs. 

I could continue going on, but I think the point's been made.  That statement is categorically false.

If the only value in basketball is scoring, maybe.  Makes no sense to disregard somebody's contributions because he doesn't live up to your unrealistic expectations.

Except he's not.  He's not in the top 40 in salary this year.

Well let me say it another way then. Pretty much in all those games, we lost. Iggy probably played 45 minutes in all of those games. And since in most of those games we lost,  the other team gave us/him easy baskets at the end of the game which is usually Iggys time for stat stufifn., Iggy got his points in the game when it didn't matter.  He always puts up numbers from being out on the court more then anyone.   

As talent and salary goes, he isn't number 1 talent. ANd on a good team he is probably a 3rd option.  I ssay he is still way overpaid at 6 years and 80m.   He is more of a 5 year 57m what BK offered, not what ES gave him out of fear of him walking.  At 8-10m he is fine. Not at 12m-14m. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »
Well let me say it another way then. Pretty much in all those games, we lost. Iggy probably played 45 minutes in all of those games. And since in most of those games we lost,  the other team gave us/him easy baskets at the end of the game which is usually Iggys time for stat stufifn., Iggy got his points in the game when it didn't matter.

You sure are good at making statements without backing it up with factual evidence whatsoever.

He always puts up numbers from being out on the court more then anyone.   

You don't understand the concept of PER, do you ?