Author Topic: Sixers at Blazers 12-28  (Read 3014 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers at Blazers 12-28
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Best win of the season for the Sixers last night, as they played for a full 48 minutes, defending well, rebounding and most importantly from my perspective, executing on offense.

The offense really looked cohesive last night, like they were attacking with a purpose and a plan. Iverson and Williams were able to find seams to drive the lane. Elton Brand was able to post up and score in rhythm. Iguodala was free to create for others and not be concerned with scoring himself.

The only bad thing about this is that I am convinced Eddie Jordan is an idiot and winning will help him keep his position.

The way they won indicates real progress as it was no accident. Portland isn't a great team, but they were on a 4 game win streak, and had come from behind in those games to win, showing they know how to close teams out. Last night they tried to take control of the game back from the Sixers and were unable to. They couldn't get stops so the best they could do was trade baskets, and as it ended up they couldn't even do that!

If the Sixers can replicate this kind of effort, they are a better than .500 team.  As it is, they are 5 games out of a playoff spot, so the season far from over.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers at Blazers 12-28
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
This and the Boston game were the best W's of the season.  That said, I didn't like that Young, Holiday, and Speights didn't get a lot of playing time.  Still zero consistency in EJ's lineup which is a sign of a bad coach.  For example, he went with Jason Smith as the first big off the bench last night over Speights.  Dumb move.  I'm sure if Green were healthy those guys would have played even less. 

Brand took advantage of a soft defender in Aldridge and put together a strong game. 

Iverson played well... took all of his shots in rhythm and got to the line.  He also made a few plays... giving Speights two VERY easy looks at the rim to get him going.  Pretty big for him coming off a 0-8 game... got him started on a very efficient scoring night. 

Iguodala and Sam both had decent all around games.

No idea why Miller didn't back Williams down more often.  It was there for him all night long. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
There were a lot of questionable coaching moves, by the blazers last night, from what i've read.

NBA TV went live during the interruption by Sam of the awesome Iguodala oop dunk that was coming...I hope someone pointed out to him

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:41:24 PM »
This and the Boston game were the best W's of the season.  That said, I didn't like that Young, Holiday, and Speights didn't get a lot of playing time.  Still zero consistency in EJ's lineup which is a sign of a bad coach.  For example, he went with Jason Smith as the first big off the bench last night over Speights.  Dumb move.  I'm sure if Green were healthy those guys would have played even less. 

Brand took advantage of a soft defender in Aldridge and put together a strong game. 

Iverson played well... took all of his shots in rhythm and got to the line.  He also made a few plays... giving Speights two VERY easy looks at the rim to get him going.  Pretty big for him coming off a 0-8 game... got him started on a very efficient scoring night. 

Iguodala and Sam both had decent all around games.

No idea why Miller didn't back Williams down more often.  It was there for him all night long. 

Young and Holiday weren't performing, but others were so it made sense to sit them. The Speights thing I don't understand, but I was glad to see Smith get some time. I was very impressed with his drive to the basket. Speights puts up points so easily most nights, it's essential to have him in, but everyone else for the Sixers was scoring at will so he ended up scoring what a lot of them did, low double figures. I could see Eddie putting Sam in at the end. It didn't hurt the offense and it helped with the defense. Brand was the man last night, and showed why he's worth his salary if any NBA player is. The last few wins the Sixers have had, Brand has had a good night in.

Miller could back down Williams, but Lou blew by him on the other end, as did AI. I think they should have tried posting Miller anyway to force the Sixers to bring help.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
Sixers win.  Willie Green - DNP.  Two things I want to see more of.

That being said, Eddie Jordan's coaching is still mindboggling.  Oh, and that was just a terrible alley-oop pass.  If Dalembert didn't catch it, I'm not sure Iguodala would've even gotten a hand on it, it looked way behind Iggy.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
I don't care who it was for, Sam was running down the middle of the floor looking at the ball carrier. Iguodala was on the other side of him, meaning that he could see Sam and the ball handler, but Sam couldn't see him! When Andre saw Sam go up for the ball, he shouldn't have gone after it.  In fact Sam caught the ball and might have dunked it had Andre not got in the way.  I love how everyone jumped on Sam for this mistake, when anyone else might had done the same thing. If Andre was the one in the middle of the floor, do you think he wouldn't jump for that lob? That's what I thought.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
I don't care who it was for, Sam was running down the middle of the floor looking at the ball carrier. Iguodala was on the other side of him, meaning that he could see Sam and the ball handler, but Sam couldn't see him! When Andre saw Sam go up for the ball, he shouldn't have gone after it.  In fact Sam caught the ball and might have dunked it had Andre not got in the way.  I love how everyone jumped on Sam for this mistake, when anyone else might had done the same thing. If Andre was the one in the middle of the floor, do you think he wouldn't jump for that lob? That's what I thought.

I'm actually with you on this one.  Iggy HAD to see Sam on that play, and he interfered.  Sam's a dope...but people just want to blame someone on that play because they were robbed of a SportsCenter Top 10.