Author Topic: Roy Halladay a Phillie  (Read 5710 times)

jemagee

Roy Halladay a Phillie
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
So says ESPN text alert

According to all reports, Halladay was refusing to be traded without a new contract

Of course, right now no one can agree on what the deal really entails, though it seems Lee may be part of it.

Lee and stripping the minors just is a bad deal in my opinon
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:14:54 PM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Roy Halladay a Phillie
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:02:35 AM »
this reported deal sucks.

Phillies get Halladay, Aumont, Gillies
Tor gets Drabek, Taylor, D'Arnaud
Seattle gets Lee

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
Hey some versions of it had Happ in it as well which would make it that the phils still needed a starter for next year.

Amaro got bent over...somehow i bet toronto was willing to make that deal when the phils traded for lee too

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
The reported deal is only being reported by ESPN, and it's based on a single report by Stark that hasn't been corroborated anywhere.  Most other sources are reporting that Drabek being in the deal would be unlikely, and that the prospect packages aren't finished being negotiated yet.

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
Go to the good phight - there are more than just the ESPN reports.

Amaro is getting rogered

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:41:40 PM »
Amaro hasn't done anything yet, so why are you automatically so negative about it?  I can see why the Phillies are going after Halladay, Lee wants to test his value and Halliday is willing to work with the Phils.  Giving up Lee isn't so bad, if that's all they have to do. It makes no sense to give up 2 starters to get Halliday, and it would be better if we could hold onto Lee, trade Blanton and move Happ up in the rotation.

Phils should be ok as long as Pedro holds up.  I'm concerned about Hammels, I think he's a whacko.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »
I don't dislike the deal as much knowing that the extension is a 3 year ext.  I was worried about 5-6.

Also really happy it's Taylor not Brown.

After researching the prospects we got, I think it's roughly similar to what we gave up for Lee originally.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
I don't dislike the deal as much knowing that the extension is a 3 year ext.  I was worried about 5-6.

Well that depends on how difficult those vests are to make - I haven't seen much about what the vesting options are defined as have you?

The prospects may be 'as good' as what was given up for lee in the first place, however the prospects going out are 3 of the best prospects the phillies have that made them a 'top 4' organization - they were top 50 prospects all 3 of them - if they're willing to give them up NOW for halladay why didn't they just do it back when they traded for lee - this sounds a lot like the deal they wouldn't make back then :)

Taylor will most likely be flipped for Bret Wallace from Oakland.

If the blue jays are not getting any seattle prospects - the lee deal should be made open and see if they get a better office, anaheim has prospects they hate (wood) just lost lackey and might not want seattle to have a 1-2 punch of king felix and lee for even one season and has the wherewithal to sign him to an extension

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
if they're willing to give them up NOW for halladay why didn't they just do it back when they traded for lee - this sounds a lot like the deal they wouldn't make back then :)

I know squat about this stuff...but wasn't it because he wasn't signed back then?  And they wanted to avoid the situation they'd find themselves in later with Lee?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
[quo
if they're willing to give them up NOW for halladay why didn't they just do it back when they traded for lee - this sounds a lot like the deal they wouldn't make back then :)

I know squat about this stuff...but wasn't it because he wasn't signed back then?  And they wanted to avoid the situation they'd find themselves in later with Lee?

I don't remember anything about Halladay being willing to negotiate back then.  I might be wrong, though.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
I made this point on a topic on PhuturePhillies a few hours ago:

"One point you didn?t mention is that a major sticking point in the summer is that the Jays refused to allow teams to negotiate an extension. It?s quite possible that Amaro was willing to give up that prospect package in July if he could guarantee that extension. It?s just speculation now, obviously, but that was a big part of this deal, and I imagine it was a sticking point back then."

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »
If the blue jays really were not allowing teams to negotiate an extension the blue jays are idiots....an extension pre negotiated makes him a more valuable trade commodity

I think it goes like this...amaro has always coveted Halladay...the philies found out just last week that lee wanted six years which is contrary to the phillies M.O. (which might be a problem in and of itself for a guy named Hamels), and panicked

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »
This is the best Toronto could do?

Or are these three supposed to be some can't miss future mlb stars?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
I think it goes like this...amaro has always coveted Halladay...the philies found out just last week that lee wanted six years which is contrary to the phillies M.O. (which might be a problem in and of itself for a guy named Hamels), and panicked

The Phillies have coveted Halladay for quite some time.  I think they have interest regardless of Lee's decision to test free agency (which he said after his first game here, so this isn't new).

I just wish Lee wasn't the cost of getting Halladay.  This Cliff Lee trade would have been available regardless of when the Phillies shopped him.  They could have waited 2 months from now, tried to show Blanton/etc, failed, and traded Lee in Feb and gotten this return.  Seems to me management said "we won't take on Halladay until we clear off that 9 million" and wouldn't run the risk of delaying that contract move at all.   That's what I find disappointing.  The more I think about it, I don't have a problem with Drabek, Taylor and D'Arnaud for 4 years of Halladay AT ALL.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
This is the best Toronto could do?

Or are these three supposed to be some can't miss future mlb stars?

They're our 2, 3, and 4 prospects in our system.