Author Topic: Sixers Vs. Nets - 11/6  (Read 4077 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers Vs. Nets - 11/6
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »
Nets are the only remaining winless team in the league, and this scares me.  Aside from us not matching up with them very well, they will be hungry to get their first win and we're flat out struggling on both ends.  Games like this are never a walk in the park for the 76ers.  Anybody else have a bad feeling about this one?   

jemagee

Re: Sixers Vs. Nets - 11/6
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »
I believe the nets are without Yi and without harris tonight and courtney lee has been terrible - there's no reason the sixers should lose this game tonight - and they should come out with a little extra oomph after that shellacking

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
The Sixers are still trying to figure themselves out.  At least Eddie got the rotation right in the Boston game, keeping Ivey and Brezac on the bench.  Really, the Sixers did a great job defending Boston inside; it was only their outside game by their bench that enabled them to win.  That and Phila's inability to run their offense!

I'm not worried about NJ at all, they are an inferior team and they are winless for a good reason, they suck! Accordingly Phila, should wipe the floor with them, look for a high scoring game by the Sixers. The Nets will have to search long and hard to find a team they can beat.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
I hear all this.  We're supposed to win, which is why it could be a trap game. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
On a side note... I'm going to pick your collective brains for some fantasy advice.

I need to bench 2 of the following, who would you sit from a fantasy perspective? 

J. Crawford @ Charlotte
T. Parker @ Portland - coming off a back to back
A. Iverson @ the Lakers
R. Felton vs. Atlanta

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
What did i tell you

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »
Went last night and have these following observations to share:

1.  Eddie Jordan is not a very good game-day coach.  He substitutes like a CYO coach ("Ok, you five out; you five in!"); and there were many times when the Sixers had NO rebounder on the floor.  Unless of course you count Speights as a rebounder - which I do not.

2.  For years I argued with many posters (not here; elsewhere) over the fact that Sam has NEVER shown improvement.  I'm sorry to say that I was wrong.  Sam has, in fact, gotten WORSE since his 2nd or 3rd year.  Turnover at one end, goal-tend at the other.  It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

HOWEVER, I must say I believe it was Sam who contributed most the the comeback and eventual win.  Ya gotta give the guy points for energy...and now that we have no Evans (and didn't replace him), Sam is our ONLY legitimate rebounder.  He was HUGE down the stretch.

3.  Eddie (yes, back to you) - imagine how effective Kapono would be in the 4th with our first-string guys.  I'm just saying...  Oh, and while I have you...where the hell was Brand?  Isn't he our only "all star"?  Isn't this gonna be a "big year" for him?  Seemed like he played more than only Ivey and Carney.

4.  Smith looked good.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
I think I'm getting to the point where I might need to admit being wrong about Lou at a pg.  Small sample size, and I certainly don't expect him to continue this effective (52.6%), but he hasn't been forcing things, he's kept his head up, he hasn't been dominating the ball, and movement has been crisp. 
Shots per 40:
2008: 21.3
2009: 15..6

turnovers per 40:
2008: 3.9
2009: 1.09

assists per turnover:
2008: 1.57/1
2009: 6.5/1

He's playing very good offensive basketball.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »
Since when has any point guard been given props for defense? Seriously there isn't any points touted as All-Stars for their work as defenders!  Lou still has a bit to learn on that side, but he's doing a great job of playing under control, and making good decisions with the ball.

To dissagree with Ricky, Sam Dalmebert has been a great defender for us these last few games. He still makes mistakes like taking a pass at the top of the key and driving the lane, but he is laying good defense and was even ripped off on a call against Brook Lopez late in the game last night. Just as I've given up on him, he's demonstrated the ability to defend Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnet and Kendrick Perkins without getting into foul trouble.

New Jersey surprized me with their effort and work on the defensive end. They were short-handed but still ran their offense and shot very well from the outside. When they played zone against the Sixers was when Jordan put Kapono in to stretch the floor.  Unfortunately Jason is too slow and Trenton Hassel was victimizing him on the other end.

Jordan said during the press conference that he wanted to match-up size wise with NJ, and that's why he didn't go with Brand, but Elton was on his way to a 16 and 10 night, 8 and 5 at the half.  Frankly, I could care less if another team goes small. Pound it inside on them every chance you get!

Both Smith and Speights deserved more pt. A real strength to have players like these on the bench.  Surprized and encouraged by the play of the 2nd string guards, Willie Green and Royal Ivey, who both played good games and kept the Sixers offense running in the 2nd Quarter. Royal had an excellent defense play as well.

I think Eddie is still trying to figure out who to use in the rotation, and with the talent he has on the roster this is somewhat normal.  I think we are short at the guard spot, with Ivey and Green as backups, they did fine last night but NJ was without their better players, against good teams they have been overmatched thus far. Willie also made some good offensive moves last night, so he deserves his props.

None of the Sixers had bad games last night, even though Thad got off to a poor start.  Considering how NJ was working so hard on defense, the fact that we ended up shooting 50% from both the floor and beyond the three point line is quite impressive. Defensively the Sixeres were lacking a bit, but NJ took care of the ball and Brook Lopez is a very good player (if a bit of a cheat)

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
I'm hearing (because of no league pass) the following things in following places so I could use some input from you guys too

1.  The same thing about Lou - maybe I was wrong too - though i want to wait until 20 games minimum to fully admit it :)
2.  Does Thad look as bad as some people on other blogs are saying?
3.  Is the bench as terrible as it seems
4.  Does Eddie Jordan Hate Jrue Holliday?
5.  Is Sam showing himself better in some games than he usually does?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:38:56 PM by jemagee »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
1) Yes.  Very hard to find a flaw in his game offensively.  He's never going to have that chris paul type vision, and he's still very inconsistent with his shot.  But he's really doing a good job of not forcing things, moving the ball, taking care of the bagll, and taking good shots.  If he continues to do that, scores 15-17 ppg, and gets to the line, he might actually have a long term future at the spot.  I think sometimes we forget he's only 23.
2) Yes, although I thought he had some good looks yesterday off really good moves driving to the basket that just didn't fall.  He's definitely having some trouble adjusting defensively to the 3 full time.
3) They played really well yesterday.  Actually, I think overall they're playing solid basketball, although I don't like Speights as Smith as a tandem together.
4) No, Jrue's just really young.  I think he's going to bring him along slowly, which may not be a mistake.  Very similar to Thad his rookie year, initially putting him in spots he can succeed, and maybe by the 2nd half you have a rotation player.  He really kills us offensively.
5) I think he's bee pretty consistently bad.  For him to have 13 turnovers and 1 assist, with his playing time, as little as he handles the ball, is simply amazing.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
How's the defense of Lou and Speights particuarly looking?  My concern with Speights was showing growth on the defensive end, I've heard rumors he shows flashes above last year

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
He's had trouble denying some of the big boys (Howard, Lopez) deep post position, but other than that I haven't had any major complaints with speights defensively. 

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
He's had trouble denying some of the big boys (Howard, Lopez) deep post position, but other than that I haven't had any major complaints with speights defensively. 

Has he shown progression over last year and is royal ivey really that good defensively that he should trump Holliday in defensive stop situations (since Holliday is at least a pretty good defender already)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
I don't think anyone was wrong about Lou as a PG, I just think this offense does a great job of maximizing his strengths and diminishing his weaknesses offensively.  In truth Iggy is as much the PG as Lou is in the half court in Jordan's scheme.  As bad of a fit as this offense seems for some guys so far, and I know it's early, it has been a godsend for William.  To his credit has also added some muscle and taken his game up a notch in general.  I don't see him seeming this good in a conventional NBA offense at PG.

He still can't guard anyone straight up or act like anything other than velcro when he runs into a pick while defending the pick and roll.  Opposing guards are dribble penetrating on him as badly as they always did on both he and Miller, allowing for tons of kick-outs for wide open threes.  In the long run he is still trade bait (his value will be very high this summer if he keeps this up) or a great third guard on a contender, with a better defender like Holiday starting.