Author Topic: 5th inning a disaster! Manuel?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
5th inning a disaster! Manuel?
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:23:40 PM »
By the way i said all this before the 5th started.  ;)

4 solid from Blanton.
5th inning:
Walks the 1st guy.  Honestly, he done for me.  The Yankees are too good, you just fought back and got a super clutch hit from Feliz and I'm just tickled pink it's 2-2.  Don't screw with the Yanks.  A leadoff walk, unless heavily squeezed by the ump, is a bad bad sign for your non Ace.
2nd guy Swisher gets a lucky infield single.  I may let Blanton pitch to CC, but Blanton is gone in my book.  He gets CC, nice.
Now, bring on the relief, it's flappin Derek Jeter at the plate.  Besides his talent that guy Jeter can fart and wind will somehow send a seeing eye bunt down the line for a single.  Nope, Manuel tries to milk not only Jeter but Damon.  Single Single.  Flappin retard, its 4-2!

5th offense. 
Rollins single, Victorino walk.  Now BUNT them over.  I don't give a rats if Utley is at the plate.  BUNT them over.  I know an Utley sac means baserunners to 2nd and 3rd and NY will walk Howard to 1st base open.  Good.  Based loaded, one out, Werth at the plate.  Instead:
Utley pops
Howard pops
Werth fans.  Beautiful.  Zero runs.

Please come back Phil or this 5h inning is regrettable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:28:39 PM by Reality »

jemagee

Re: 5th inning a disaster! Manuel?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »
Seeing eye singles, some bad luck...not sure how it's Manuels fault blanton gave up a lead off walk - those hardly ever end well.

Don't ignore the BOTTOM of the fifth where rollins and victorino got on base and the heart of the order was up with 0 outs and Sabathia close to running on fumes but Utley, Howard and Werth can't even advance Rollins from second to third.

Two runs will not beat the yankees if cliff lee isn't pitching.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
^^
Walks the 1st guy.  Honestly, he done for me.  The Yankees are too good, you just fought back and got a super clutch hit from Feliz and I'm just tickled pink it's 2-2.  Don't screw with the Yanks.  A leadoff walk, unless heavily squeezed by the ump, is a bad bad sign for your non Ace.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »
after that walk, I can't blame Blanton at all.  Got 2 ground balls and a blooper.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »
Viva la Feliz!!!!! 
4-4

Nice hold by Madson 4-3 top 8th.
Oh to punk Mariano Rivera in the 9th or 10th.  ;D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »
way to stick with obviously cracking up Lidge.  :'(
And way to pitch to ARod instead of setting up the force all over.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:25:05 AM »
dabods rt jem Phils et al,
Not expecting Faux News or BSPN or any of the other marketing media to report, so if you can find out specifically the following:

1.  Who was supposed to be defensively guarding 3rd on the Texaria switch/Damon steal-scamper?
Lidge was serving no purpose standing on the mound.  Ditto Victorino, can't come home if you bag him at third.  Lastly the left fielder, or was he wayy to far switched over to make up ground.  Break as soon as Victorino rises up to throw, people.

2.  If Manuel miraculously gets asked if he thought about walking ARod, please give a word for worder.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
1.  But why did it work out? That was the pivotal question here: Where did the Phillies screw this up, other than their decision to use The Shift in this spot in the first place?

"To be honest," Lidge said, "that's not really something you go over a lot. I don't know who's supposed to cover third on that. Just kind of a weird play."

The normal way this works, actually, is that it's the pitcher's job to scramble over there. But Lidge was so locked in on pitching to Teixeira, he admitted later he forgot all about that shift. So when Damon took off for third, it "really surprised me," Lidge said. "I thought we had him. I didn't realize there was nobody at third base."

Oh, there was nobody at third base, all right. And no one on the field was more aware of that than, well, the third baseman.

"I know nobody was on third because I was shifted to the other side," Feliz said. "I got the runner (i.e., he was responsible for covering a steal at second), and went to the bag and he saw nobody covered third and he took off. It's a tough stuation. You have to go to [second] and J-Roll has to back me up. So nobody is on the other side, and he took off.''

"I'm the captain of the infield. It's my job. ? I didn't signal to Brad to make sure he gets to third on a throw. All you've got to do is take two steps in that direction and you stop it right there. But I didn't do my part in making sure he knew the defense we were in.? -- Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins

But this wasn't Feliz's fault, either. It was Rollins' responsibility to decide who would cover second on a steal. So it was the shortstop who blamed himself afterward for not making sure everybody knew their assignment.

"I'm the captain of the infield," Rollins said. "It's my job. ? I didn't signal to Brad to make sure he gets to third on a throw. All you've got to do is take two steps in that direction and you stop it right there. But I didn't do my part in making sure he knew the defense we were in."

So it was all these forces, all these decisions, all these miscommunications and one brilliant stroke of genius by Johnny Damon that managed to converge at this remarkable point in time. And the result was a play we'll be rehashing for a millennium.

"It is unusual. That's for sure," Lidge said. "You kind of wonder how that happens -- or, I guess -- how it doesn't happen more often, with The Shift on. Hopefully, we'll figure out a way to prevent that from happening again."