Author Topic: Sixers at Knicks, 10/31 Happy Holloween!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers at Knicks, 10/31 Happy Holloween!
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
Weird for the Sixers who scored 70 points in the first half, allowed the Knicks to shoot their way back from a 23 pt. deficit, and then blew them out in OT.

The truth is the team's offense is sporadic when they're not running. Fortunately, they have enough athletes that they can keep running. 

I'm a little concerned about Eddie's not playing certain people and playing others that shouldn't be on the floor. Last night's box score highlights my concern, as well as Eddies comments about Royal Ivey and Willie Green.  On a night when Lou Williams scores 27 pts. grabs 10 boards and 7 assists in 42 and a half minutes for a +21. Willie puts up 6 points and 1 board in 9, going 1 for 3 from the field for a -6. Royal puts up 4 pts. no assists rebound or steals and earns a -9!  In the meantime Jrue Holiday doesn't play against the Knicks yet again, and neither does Jason Smith.

Since the Sixers have 13 and can only put out 12 per night, one player per night is deactivated.  I won't be happy until that player is consistently Royal or Willie who are clearly our weakest links. Jason Smith is capable of a double-double and needs Pt to develop. Royal and Willie are marginal players and Jrue will be better than that. Not playing him when he's behind inferior players is not good coaching. Either these guys are better and deserve their PT, or they should sit and be made to watch the rookie take their minutes. On a night when the Sixers were blowing out the Knicks, they made their comeback when Ivey and Green were on the floor.  This is not inspiring confidence in Eddie's evaluations!  Maybe he's just trying to build up confidence in these guys, but the numbers don't lie, they can't play defense or score enough to offset their counterparts.

It's only been three games, but it's becoming clear that Lou Williams is well-suited to playing the point, as long as they're in a running game. If the Sixers are allowed to play that way, Lou will put up all-star numbers like he did last night. Those who thought that Willie should start should realize by now, that Lou is a much better player on both ends of the floor.

Speaking of All-Stars, Iguodala almost gets a triple double: 32 points 8 assists, and 11 rebounds!  High plus/minus man for the night was Elton Brand, who had 16 and 7 himself. Thad Young had 25 pts. Against the Knicks anyone can look good. Sixers need to be challenged in a game to find out who they really are. Fortunately, they get their chance as their next game is against Boston this Tuesday.  My favorite Sixer, Marreese Speights got a double double, 20 pts. 10 reb. 2 assists and 2 blocks in just under 30 min. That was 3 Sixers with a double- double in the game, does anyone know how often that happens for any team? That seems like a lot of talent to me!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:05:19 PM by rickortreat »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Sixers at Knicks, 10/31 Happy Holloween!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

It's only been three games, but it's becoming clear that Lou Williams is well-suited to playing the point,

Let's pick that topic back up after, say, 30 games.

Those who thought that Willie should start should realize by now, that Lou is a much better player on both ends of the floor.

How's our bench lookin'.

;)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
I'll be glad to revisit the concept of Lou being a point guard in another 30 games, but the only other guard currently on the roster who is even capable of a triple-double besides Lou is Andre.  As far as I know neither Willie Green nor Royal Ivey has ever even had a double-double game in the pro's!

Speaking of the bench, it is a problem, not because of a lack of talent but because Eddie is still experimenting. I thought it was clear that Royal and Willie are barely good enough, and that we should be looking more at Jrue and Rodney and getting them into the rotation and the other two out. In the meantime not putting Jason Smith on the floor seems really dumb, it's not like a team can ever have enough quality big men!

I don't know enough about Eddie yet, but this whole end of the roster instability is not something that should go on for too long. As I see it, the Sixers are very close to being an elite team, and may in fact be one. Elite teams do not have players who can barely play as part of their rotation. Honestly Willie Green is an ok guard, maybe just barely passable as a back-up on a Championship team, but I think Jrue Holliday could contribute more by the end of the season if he was given the minutes. We might even learn that Jason Smith is better than Sam Dalembert in the post. 

A coaches job is to put the best team on the floor and maintain a level of quality through his substitution pattern. I think the Sixers roster makes that possible, but the coach has to get done with the evaluation phase so it's not a mystery who is not going to play. Maybe Eddie doesn't want to hurt their feelings or confidense, or Ed's ability to move them, but if someone is going to be out off the roster each night, until there's an injury, I want Royal in a sport coat, not a uniform.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
I'll be glad to revisit the concept of Lou being a point guard in another 30 games, but the only other guard currently on the roster who is even capable of a triple-double besides Lou is Andre. 

As was exhibited tonight...and will be again soon, I'm sure...triple-doubles aren't what makes a great PG.  But I sound like a broken record.

As I see it, the Sixers are very close to being an elite team, and may in fact be one.

Holy macaroni.

Elite - in my book - applies to maybe 3 teams in the entire NBA each year.  The Sixers have been a .500 team in each of its last two years.  That's not elite.  By definition, that's 'mediocre'.

I hope you are not setting yourself up for a huge let down this year.  It sounds like you have pretty lofty expectations.  I'll take 46 wins and a 5th seed.  That would be a smidge above mediocre.  Not bad for a team which has been spanked in each of its games against, well, elite teams.