Author Topic: Sixers vs Raps - 10-6-09  (Read 7972 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs Raps - 10-6-09
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
Anyone know of any live streams available to watch this game?  I've been unsuccessful in my search and tip off is fast approaching!

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs Raps - 10-6-09
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »
Not sure if this will work, but its worth a shot

http://www.rajangan.net/template_live.php?ida=7

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Bummed there was no stream.  Our brothers to the north let us down.

I think the game will be on TV Friday.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
Only caught the 2nd half.

Glad EJ left Holiday, Speights, and Smith on the floor in the 4th when Toronto was closing in.  Good experience.  Holiday came up big with a couple clutch 3's.  I don't like the 2 turnovers and 0 assists, but he did make an impact in his first showing.  I'd like to see him get some time next to some starters. 

Speights shot horribly and just had an overall sloppy performance. 

Smith didn't really do much, but he did attempt 3 shots from downtown (hit one), which wasn't common his rookie year.  Kind of interesting.

Lou had a nice offensive game.  Calderon isn't really the best defender.  Only 3 assists, but he was feeling it offensively. 

Iguodala looked real good, but was way too careless with the ball.  7 turnovers...

I didn't see a whole lot of Brand, except for a real nice pass to dalembert. 

Kapono should mesh into this offense nicely.  I like the 4 assists. 

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
Hulk Smash
Kapono Shoot 3's

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
I kept having problems with the feed from Justin TV.  It worked for a while with lousy quality and then the link stopped working. Also the chatter from the childish idiots in the chat box was too much to take!

I did see the 2nd quarter when the Sixers ran away with the game. Toronto was without Bosh and Hedo so it wasn't much of a contest.

Still, as a fan I have to like how the offense flowed and how the Sixers actively tried to pass their way over through and around the other team's defense. It's clearly a work in progress and Iguodala has to get better control over himself to stop making so many mistakes with the ball.  Lou Williams was more of a scorer than a facilitator, but he shot at such a high percentage I didn't mind so much that he ended up taking the shot.

As a team the Sixers shot well, and stopped Toronto from scoring. Although this was less apparent in the second half when Toronto actually won the last two quarters, it was clear that this new version of the Sixers has some real potential.

The next step is to work on minimizing the mistakes and turnovers, something that should come with time and repetition and a bit more discipline.  Everyone was passing and working and getting involved, even Dalembert. Kapono was very impressive with both is outside shooting and passing.  Drue and Christmas also had nice showings.

Considering Comcast owns the team, and could have used the content, and in theory wants to stoke interest in the Sixers, they should do more to make these games available.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Considering Comcast owns the team, and could have used the content, and in theory wants to stoke interest in the Sixers, they should do more to make these games available.

I doubt the cost of getting everything and everyone up to Toronto is worth the recompense.

Plus the flyers played last night didn't they?  They're a bigger draw anyway

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »
Here's hoping the god awful defensive rebounding is just an artifact of the pre season / playing second stringers and doesn't continue

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »

I doubt the cost of getting everything and everyone up to Toronto is worth the recompense.

Plus the flyers played last night didn't they?  They're a bigger draw anyway

The Flyers did play, but the game was on VS, not Comcast. Also the game was played in London, Ontario, which may have had something to to with it.  But looking through the preseason schedule it doesn't appear that most of the games will be available. I wonder how much the local Canadian coverage would have asked for to permit Comcast to relay the feed.

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
Not trying to be difficult - just trying to understand

When the flyers are on versus does that trump the Comcast broadcast or does Comcast just not try?  I mean when the dodgers are on ESPN or TBS, the game is blacked out on those channels and I can only pick it up on the local broadcaster...only time the national coverage 'trumps' the local team is when it's the FOX national game of the week.

I know nothing of the versus NHL contract mostly because I don't watch hockey.  I just know that comcast owns the flyers and the flyers are more popular consistanetly than the sixers in the philadelphia area so if i were comcast and had a choice i'd probably broadcast a flyers practice over the sixers pre season games :)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »

When the flyers are on versus does that trump the Comcast broadcast or does Comcast just not try?  I mean when the dodgers are on ESPN or TBS, the game is blacked out on those channels and I can only pick it up on the local broadcaster...only time the national coverage 'trumps' the local team is when it's the FOX national game of the week.

I know nothing of the versus NHL contract mostly because I don't watch hockey.  I just know that comcast owns the flyers and the flyers are more popular consistanetly than the sixers in the philadelphia area so if i were comcast and had a choice i'd probably broadcast a flyers practice over the sixers pre season games :)

It's actually pretty close in terms of the Sixers and Flyers followings.  Everyone in Philly is all Phillies/Eagles, and both the Flyers and Sixers are an afterthought.  I'd say the Flyers have a slight edge in popularity, but its not really all that noticeable.  The Flyers do have the edge on home attendance.  More people definitely go to see them than the Sixers. 

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »
I've always found the flyers fanbase a bit stronger and a bit more 'dedicated' - they are more likely to stick around through lean years - when the sixers contend - lots of people show up - when they're mediocre - (reported attendance or not) the sixers seem to have trouble filling half the stadium :)   I've never seen the flyers have much trouble filling the stadium - hell i hear more flyers calls than sixer calls on sports radio.

Now...how the hell am i going to listen to the phillies game today

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

Honestly I don't know. But you don't have to worry about me, I like your posts and glad to see you're back!

My guess is that the Hockey TV contract is quite different from the other sports. You of course are right about the relationship between Comcast and the Flyers/Sixers/Snyder.  I can take or leave hockey, mostly leave it, but it's clear that more Phila. fans like hockey. Not sure why Basketball has such a tough time here. Even when they had Dr. J they had lots of empty seats.

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Not sure why Basketball has such a tough time here. Even when they had Dr. J they had lots of empty seats.

What irritates me is that college ball doesn't really ahve a hard time - the big 5 (the real big five, not with that wussy school from the suburbs) is usually a strong draw with a rabid fan base.

I never advocate the 'drafting of guys for home town influence' - but I have to wonder if the sixers were able to get a jameer nelson and or delonte west (before his recent troubles) would that have helped? 

I'm sure someone who knows sociology better than me can work this out but Philadelphia rightly or wrong, the sports fans see themselves as 'blue collar' as 'gritty' as 'underdogs' as 'Rockys' (man I hate that statue)- and the flyers 'prominence' as it were I think started in the 'Broad Street Bullies' days - i don't remember them but that was a blue collar type team as I understand it - no huge stars but just 'tough' guys who 'play the game the right way'.  I would be that has something to do with it.

The phillies 93 world series team is remembered fondly for its characters and 'grit' moreso than it's talent - the 83 team that lost to the orioles - most people can't remember who started game 2 for the phillies - some fans can't even remember that it went 5 games (I think)...Bobby Abreu was under appreciateed because it seemed 'too easy' to him at the time whereas a guy like Aaron Rowand is lauded for one play whereas the majority of his time in Philadlephia was one of mediocrity.

I think if the 'bad boys' had been in Philadelphia - the sixers would have been huge - and might possibly still be there - it's why I think there was inordinate amount of fan love for a guy like reggie evans, or sal fasano or why phillies fans would love darren eckstein.