Author Topic: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!  (Read 13660 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
If this team had a coach who cared about defense,

Or a GM who cared about rebounding.  Not replacing Evans was a colossal mistake.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
If this team had a coach who cared about defense, they could make some noise in the playoffs.

Unfortunately they have Eddie Jordan, so they're fucked.

It is a shame, as they really do have legit talent - especially when Williams and Speights come back.

Agree Bebop.  Jordan doesn't emphasize defense at all and that will ultimately kill us.  The defense is so bad that you sometimes forget about what a mess our offense is.  If we continue to allow teams to fire away from beyond the perimeter, it will be interesting to see if Jordan's seat starts to heat up.  Now that the Sixers have been propelled into the spotlight, the uproar from the fan base will be significantly louder (assuming we continue to lie down defensively). 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
If this team had a coach who cared about defense,
Or a GM who cared about rebounding.  Not replacing Evans was a colossal mistake.

Brand was supposed to replace Evans, and if he stays healthy, he should. I think when healthy this team is loaded with talent, enough to compete for a title. We need more rebounding out of Smith and Speights to go along with Dalembert and Brand and that should do it.

Iverson gives us an extra scorer, which is good with this group since most of them are inconsistent. There is no reason we can't keep AI for a few more seasons if he's willing to come off the bench or share a spot.  If this team can compete for a title with who they have this season, that would be a likely outcome.

Jordan is the one factor most likely to hold the Sixers back.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »

Brand was supposed to replace Evans, and if he stays healthy, he should. I think when healthy this team is loaded with talent, enough to compete for a title. We need more rebounding out of Smith and Speights to go along with Dalembert and Brand and that should do it.

Iverson gives us an extra scorer, which is good with this group since most of them are inconsistent. There is no reason we can't keep AI for a few more seasons if he's willing to come off the bench or share a spot.  If this team can compete for a title with who they have this season, that would be a likely outcome.

Jordan is the one factor most likely to hold the Sixers back.

Brand is not a replacement for Evans on the boards.  That was Evans' ONLY job...and now you know why I sung (solo) his praises last year.  Our rebounding is a disgrace.

"Loaded" with talent"?  "Compete for a title"?  Man oh man.  I was sort of waiting to hear if you'd backed down from your pre-season classification of our Sixers as "elite".

Hmmm.  So if we had our sophomore 4, and brand-new-to-the-position PG...we'd be, what, do you think?  We're 5-14.  Five teams have 10 or more wins.  So it's safe to assume you believe we'd have what, 12 wins?  Be in about 5th place?

May I ask which 7 extra games we'd have won since the injuries occurred?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
Brand is not a replacement for Evans on the boards.  That was Evans' ONLY job...and now you know why I sung (solo) his praises last year.  Our rebounding is a disgrace.

We were 26th in the league in defensive rebounding last year.  Our rebounding was a disgrace last year.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »

We were 26th in the league in defensive rebounding last year.  Our rebounding was a disgrace last year.

Imagine where we'd have placed without our best rebounder.

But anyway...can you imagine how friggin stupid Ed must be to NOT HAVE ADDRESSED rebounding if we were that bad!

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
Brand also reportedly untradeable from the source article (on yahoo.com)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Eddie played AI way, way, way too many minutes.  Maybe 10 too many.  And when in, I thought he was actually a little too passive offensively.  Probably not used to Iggy making a contribution like he did.

Oh well.  They shouldn't have been expected to win that one anyway.

I'll take .500 over their next 10.

(Man - what to make of Brand?)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
Iverson's lost a step.  Maybe 2.  I don't think he can get into the lane at will, and without that ability he's going to go through spurts where he's flat out ineffective.  His game isn't going to adapt well with age.  Steep drop off from 32 to 33, and could be another steep drop off to 34.  I'm not sure I expect even 20 ppg.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
Iverson's lost a step.  Maybe 2.  I don't think he can get into the lane at will, and without that ability he's going to go through spurts where he's flat out ineffective.  His game isn't going to adapt well with age.  Steep drop off from 32 to 33, and could be another steep drop off to 34.  I'm not sure I expect even 20 ppg.

He's obviously not the lightning rod he was when he left here.  I still think he's quick enough to penetrate at will... its his ability to elevate off the dribble to get his shot off that has me a little worried.  Last night he was able to draw contact in some cases, and in another he got his shot blocked by Ty Lawson.  He does need to get his legs back and probably shouldn't have played 37 minutes last night.  I just hope that when he does go through spurts where he's ineffective offensively he's mindful enough to defer to others like he did last night.

Through the first 3 quarters, I actually thought they played surprisingly well last night with Iverson in the lineup.  I'll admit that it was better than I thought it would be.  We did a pitiful job of defending the perimeter as usual, but we held a high scoring Denver team to 93 points, held Melo to 14 points, held them to 39% FG's, and only allowed 26 points in the paint.  Overall, I didn't have too many qualms with the way we defended last night.  It was our bench contributing a collective 2 points to Denver's 29 that killed us.  Makes you wonder what could have happened if Williams, Speights, and Holiday were available. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
The made 3's last night seemed to be more of the in transition or off of offensive rebounds than overreaction from helping on dribble penetration.  I was actually less pissed with the made 3's than I normally am.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
The made 3's last night seemed to be more of the in transition or off of offensive rebounds than overreaction from helping on dribble penetration.  I was actually less pissed with the made 3's than I normally am.

Yeah, and for this particular game, EJ's 'they just made shots from 2-3 feet behind the perimeter' excuse would have actually flied. 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
Frankly, I thought they got to the rim a little too easy a few times late.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
Frankly, I thought they got to the rim a little too easy a few times late.

They absolutely disintegrated late. No one for the Sixers could score from the late 3rd quarter on. I think they were all tired. When they stopped scoring or executing on offense, their defense disappeared as well. Iverson is out of shape, lets wait a few weeks before we decide if he's done or not.  The Sixers will be fine when it gets back it's three injured players. As Iverson gets into game shape, and learns more of the offense that will help too.

The bench apart from Willie sucks. I am very disappointed in Carney and Smith. I didn't expect a lot from Kapono or Ivey and they are fulfilling my expectations.

With just Holiday back we'll probably start winning games. Speights will make a huge difference, giving the Sixers another reliable big man to spell Brand or Dalembert.