Author Topic: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!  (Read 13658 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Re: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
How is no one here discussing this?  Or last night's Dalembet debacle, or Willie's performance?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
does anyone care anymore?

watched the game, but have actually been working on the site.  Got a cool little feature coming up.

http://nba.phillyarena.com/rotations/

It's not finished.  Only about half the games are charted, and I have to add more on the output. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 06:07:24 PM »
Cool.  I never would have known Holiday and Primoz have never been on the floor together...

Did you have to manually enter all of the data?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »
At this point, yes.  I'm still trying to find a way to do it manually.  That's currently the only part of my site (stats was) that has any manual intervention required.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »

As long as AI can accept coming off the bench once Lou comes back,
Nothing will get people into the stands unless they think the Sixers can win. But with the two AI's they'll still put on a show.

If Iverson sets the world on fire...he won't be coming off any bench.  Iggy to the 3; Thad sits, imo.  Or Elton to the 5.

And the attendance will - for sure - improve with AI returning.  Not by a ton...and it won't last if they lose...but I think he improves them enough to get them back to where they should be: battling for 5th/6th.

I agree. AI should get them into contention for 5th or 6th in the East. By losing so many early the Sixers are in a real hole. But with AI back the team should start to win.  They may win tonight in OK and later in Charlotte, even without him.  I will be going to a few games now that AI is signed. If I'm right about them starting to win again, they will fill the stands.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Not a fan of the move, but I suppose whats done is done.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intrigued to see what it looks like, but I've seen enough AI to have a pretty good idea of how this whole thing will manifest itself.  We're headed straight towards a 3rd consecutive first round elimination with another late first round draft pick, and all of these "fans" couldn't be happier about it. 

Stefanski said that in his meetings with Iverson, they DID NOT talk about what would happen when Williams returns from injury.  Not sure how you can sit down for several hours without discussing an inevitable predicament like this one... especially considering Iverson's most recent disaster in Memphis. 

The whole front of this being a 'low risk, high reward' move will only get through to those oblivious to the ramifications of bringing Iverson back, which is ensuring that this team will find themselves in the exact same position at this time next year (barring some kind of miraculous trade for the better).  No player development for the youth, no draft pick capable of impacting the win/loss column, but plenty of "valuable playoff experience." 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »
Not a fan of the move, but I suppose whats done is done.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intrigued to see what it looks like, but I've seen enough AI to have a pretty good idea of how this whole thing will manifest itself.  We're headed straight towards a 3rd consecutive first round elimination with another late first round draft pick, and all of these "fans" couldn't be happier about it. 

Stefanski said that in his meetings with Iverson, they DID NOT talk about what would happen when Williams returns from injury.  Not sure how you can sit down for several hours without discussing an inevitable predicament like this one... especially considering Iverson's most recent disaster in Memphis. 

The whole front of this being a 'low risk, high reward' move will only get through to those oblivious to the ramifications of bringing Iverson back, which is ensuring that this team will find themselves in the exact same position at this time next year (barring some kind of miraculous trade for the better).  No player development for the youth, no draft pick capable of impacting the win/loss column, but plenty of "valuable playoff experience." 

I.  Don't.  Care.

With all due respect, for 4-5 years now people on these Boards have been bashing those of us who demand to be entertained, by trotting out the "we need to lose to get better" argument.

I - for one - am tired of being bored to tears by this pathetic, and vanilla, team.  And I refuse to wait another 6 years for us to become contenders.  ENTERTAIN ME!!!

This team sucks.  It blows chunks.  Our "superstar" is a mediocre one...our center is the dumbest professional athlete ever to lace them up...we have a coach who isn't fit to manage a CYO team...no goddamn point guard...a GM with his head up his ass...and a bench which is a joke.

Put quotes around "fans" all you want.  I'm a fan of the game, and this team - with or without AI - will suck for the next decade.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »

I.  Don't.  Care.

With all due respect, for 4-5 years now people on these Boards have been bashing those of us who demand to be entertained, by trotting out the "we need to lose to get better" argument.

I - for one - am tired of being bored to tears by this pathetic, and vanilla, team.  And I refuse to wait another 6 years for us to become contenders.  ENTERTAIN ME!!!

This team sucks.  It blows chunks.  Our "superstar" is a mediocre one...our center is the dumbest professional athlete ever to lace them up...we have a coach who isn't fit to manage a CYO team...no goddamn point guard...a GM with his head up his ass...and a bench which is a joke.

Put quotes around "fans" all you want.  I'm a fan of the game, and this team - with or without AI - will suck for the next decade.

I'm frustrated by the past 4-5 years too seeing as we've been a borderline playoff team the whole time.... which is exactly what Iverson will make us again this year.  It will be more entertaining, but the final result most likely won't differ from that of the last 4-5 years, and we'll be back to being bored to tears again by this time next year.

I know the team sucks, I know our superstar is 2nd tier at best, I know our center is dumb as a bag or rocks, and I know our coach is pathetic.  Combine that with our injuries and we finally have a recipe to get a top 5 draft pick, which increases the likelihood of us obtaining the superstar caliber player that this franchise needs going forward.  You see Oklahoma City?  Seems to be paying dividends for them, and their future is 10x brighter than ours.  Its your prerogative to disagree, but for me, these first round playoff exits and late first round picks season after season are starting to wear thin. 

and fyi... I know you're a fan.  My use of parenthesis on "fans" was directed towards all of the bandwagon fans coming out of hiding now that Iverson is back.  The ones who are weighing in on the franchise while they probably couldn't even list our starting five or tell you the name of our rookie. 

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
I'm entertained when a team plays well and builds towards a championship.

Others are entertained by a lot of points being scored but wins and losses not mattering, if you're one of those, the warriors always are looking for more fans.

Adding Iverson does nothing to help this team improve but it does dazzle the 'shiny things' crowd doesn't it?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
I can understand how Iverson can be considered entertaining.  I'm not going to lie, there's probably more excitement for mondays game than there was for last night, including for me.  I just don't think that entertainment is worth the effect on the future of the team, not without wins and a realistic shot at a championship, at least.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
Being realistic, there aren't alot of great lottery picks this year; so by the time we GET a superstar...and he matures to that level...10 of our current 12 may not even be here any longer.  Look at recent, previous champions.  Is that how they built their success?  By being at rock bottom, aquiring a drafted superstar and contending within "a few years"?

We are TEN YEARS AWAY, imo.  At best - when you consider who will select the new guy(s) and who will coach them.

AI shows up as our best player from the get-go.  I'd rather watch us lose with him than without him.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:59:02 PM by RickyPryor »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
Adding Iverson does nothing to help this team improve

They're better with him than without him.  Impossible not to be, as he's better than anyone we have now. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Where does everyone rank Iverson's newest supporting cast compared to all of the past 76er teams as well as Denver/Detroit? 

Dalembert
Brand
Young
Iguodala
Williams
Speights
Kapono
Holiday
Carney
Smith
Green
Iverson

Defense is most definitely going to be an issue, but it does look like we have 6 guys in Brand, Iguodala, Speights, Young, Iverson, and Williams who are all capable of hitting 20+ on any given night (when healthy). 

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
How do you rate his coach and the defensive philosophy?

Because this team is not about talent.  Its much less than the sum of its parts.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:25 AM »
If this team had a coach who cared about defense, they could make some noise in the playoffs.

Unfortunately they have Eddie Jordan, so they're fucked.

It is a shame, as they really do have legit talent - especially when Williams and Speights come back.