Author Topic: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!  (Read 13659 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
I know...I know...'it's time to move on, yada yada yada...'

I say, 'when you got lemons, make lemonade.'  This team stinks.:

1.  We have no personality whatsoever.  None.  Dullsville.  zzzzzzzzzzzzz

2.  We have no crowd.

3.  We have no one capable of running away with a game; let alone anyone capable of averaging 24 PPG.  (Scratch that.  No one we have should average 24.)

4.  We keep getting "younger! younger!"  Yet we have no "winner!  winner!"  This whole team is a deer in the headlights come playoff time.  Give me the assassin instead!

5.  We have no PG.  (Not that AI is one either.  But he's the best available.)

6.  AI would be perfect in the Princeton offense.  It's all about motion, passing and basket-attacking. 

So, no, we don't go anywhere with or without AI.  But I'd buy more tickets!  And, to management...that's all that matters.   ;)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bring Back Iverson. Who's With Me!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
I agree with Ricky on something.  I feel dirty.  But I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be considered if we plan on even trying to win this year.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
So you want a ball hogging undersized poor percentage shooting AI back in Philly, paired with the other AI in the back-court?

I'd rather see what Lou Willams can do, to be honest. If AI would be content to ride the bench and be a team player he'd make sense. But he'd insist on starting, be too undisciplined and selfish to learn the Princeton and fit in it with the other players.

The team has a little bit of a personality problem, but all inconsistent teams do. I don't think the answer is to bring back the team's old personality, but to find a new one. 

Face it the real key to the Sixers success this season is how well Brand Iguodala and Young do. If they are all outplaying their man on the oppossing team, they should come out on top more often than not. The point guard and Center have to be average players and the Sixers will still win. It's only if we have a real deficiency at either of those positions that the Sixers will have a real problem. We know Sam is an average Center; I think Lou is a good player. 

If you bring in Iverson, you prevent the team from developing the younger players. He's not going to be a long-term solution, either so it doesn't make sense unless both Lou and Jrue fail.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
So you want a ball hogging

Sorry.  Gotta stop you there.  Common mistake; but AI is an above-average assist man.  In his last 'normal' season ('07-'08) he averaged over 7.  And that was about his 6th straight year at 7 or more.

Last year Lou Will didn't average half that many.

undersized poor percentage shooting

1.  And Lou Will is NOT under-sized?
2.  Iverson shoots at a better percentage than Lou Will.

I'm afraid this isn't going well for you. ;)

The team has a little bit of a personality problem,

A little bit of one?  C'mon.  SNIFF SNIFF.  I smell an understatement.

Sam is an average Center 

Sam is not average.  In fact he's maybe not a top 20 center, IMO.

If you bring in Iverson, you prevent the team from developing the younger players.

I have to say...I'm so tired of hearing stuff like that.  WHO won't develop because there's a Hall of Famer on the court?  These are NBA professionals; if they don't 'develop'...'f' them.

Basketball is entertainment, pure and simple.  Nothing more.  And a Sixer team with AI on it is way, way, way, way more entertaining than one without.

We'll develop all this monster young talent another year.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
The sooner you develop that young talent, the faster the Sixers will get better. Iverson won't make any difference to the Sixers by being here. He isn't a good team player. He won't help Elton Brand or Andre Iguodala, let alone Jrue or Lou.

AI shoots too much for a player who shoots around 40%. Lou won't take 30 shots in a game, wasting 10 of them like AI. Iverson isn't as quick as he used to be, he can't blow by players anymore, but Lou Williams can!

Lou will do a better job of playing AI's role than AI could for the Sixers.  He will penetrate and break down defenses, draw fouls and create open looks for his teamates. Unlike Allen he won't force shots or try to make something acrobatic, but pass the ball!

Excitement comes from winning and watching a team learn how to win. I think the Sixers have a very good group with Brand, Young and Iguodala. They should end up as 4th best team in the East this season and if either Lou or Jrue prove to be adequate, all they need to do to become a contender is drop Dalembert and Green and get a real Center for the next season.  Lets see Iguodala and Young develop that killer instinct and exert their will on the game, lets see Brand dominate in the paint, and provide than interior scoring punch the Sixers have been lacking, let's see Mareese play back up PF and put up 15 and 10. That would be a lot better for the Sixers future than an AI redux.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
The sooner you develop that young talent, the faster the Sixers will get better.

That is a popular point of view, and very logical.

Problem I have is...we've been hearing that same thing for years now.  "Wait until Sam developes."  "Iggy needs to grow as the #1 guy."  yada yada

At what point are we done waiting?

Yeah, yeah...we now have some NEW, young guys.  And right under our noses both Sam and Iggy aren't so young anymore.  Sam is going into his EIGHTH year now; Iggy into his 6th.  Heck, even Lou Will is going into his 5th.

Keep in mind: 5 years is the legnth of an average NBA career.

When Jrue and Speights and Marreese hit their peeks...none of our OTHER guys will still be here.  Heck, 1-2 of THEM might not even be here.

And the cycle will repeat itself.

Not to mention:  who is it that's developing all this young talent anyway?  Eddie '60-games-below-.500' Jordan?

If we're going to be mediocre (which we are)...I'd rather we do it while being entertained by a Hall of Famer.  At present, we don't even have an All Star.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:17:25 AM by RickyPryor »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »
never mind.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »
I'll admit that waiting for talent that never materializes is a very disappointing process.  But without breaking the bank or getting lucky in the draft, this is what teams do.

While it's true that most players don't last, Iguodala is going to have a long career in the NBA and for those players, their 6th through 8th are their best seasons. Andre's career may be extended by virtue of his leaving College 2 years early, likewise this could be considered Lou Wiliams first NBA season with his College career replaced by being a back-up in the NBA. Thad Young looks ready to have a break-out year, also should still be in College. If Jrue and Spights aren't good players in 3 years, then they're busts.

The first three are a very good group for the Sixers, Iguodala, Williams and Young. Coupled with Brand they are a pretty good team. If they had Dwight Howard instead of Sam Dalembert, we'd think this team could compete for a Championship.  As it is they should be entertaining to watch, assuming that Thad and Andre continue to develop and of course whether Lou can bring up the ball and initiate the break.

This year is put up or shut up time for the Sixers. Either Iguodala is an all star or not, and Thad and Lou have things to prove this season. We find out if this version of the Sixers can really compete or they're not that good. They won't have Miller to keep them in games when the offense goes stagnant. The PO will be sink or swim for these guys. I think they're pretty good ballers, but we'll see.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »
Looks like I may have gotten my wish.
 ;D

Time to be entertained again!  (And maybe win a few more along the way.)

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
But I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be considered if we plan on even trying to win this year.

A.  The sixers weren't going to win this year completely healthy with or without Iverson
B.  Iverson still thinks he's 2001 Iverson and a team should revolve around him - which means another wasted year of player development
C.  He's not a gate draw any more
D.  Bringing him in probably prevents the one good thing this team has going for it right now, a higher lottery positioning.

If the sixers bring back Iverson it's a move worthy of Billy King and Stefanski defines his era by that stupid desperation move

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
Cop out move by the organization.  He won't help this team win anything more than an 8th seed, which is exactly what I'd like to avoid.  His best days are behind him and I wouldn't be surprised if the excitement died off in a matter of weeks, assuming this team continues to lose. 

It also guarantees inevitable problems when Williams returns.  Do you bench Williams shortly after handing him the keys?  Do you bench Iverson?  Or do you start them both (god I hope not) and bench one of Sam, Thad, or Brand?  Either way, someone's not going to be happy.  Aside from that issue, all this move does is delay the progression and decrease the likelihood of picking up a star caliber player in the draft.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
According to the foxsports report jordan planned to start holiday AND williams together in the future (don't you love that thinking) so no reason he wouldn't just do the idiot thing and start williams AND iverson together right?

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
I'm confused as to why people keep saying (WIP) that we fans think it's 2001.  I've not heard anyone - in favor of bringing AI back - who says he's the same player as he once was.

But...and please re-read this sentence if you must...Iverson immediately becomes the best player on this team upon his return.  I think in 35 MPG, he averages 22 and hands out 5-6 assists.  He's one of the smartest players I've ever seen and for sure the most exciting.

Plus - this team isn't doing squat for another 5-6 years (you do realize we suck, right?)...so what the hell?  Add to that fact that this "young team" everyone thinks we are crafting isn't really all that special and has no personality...and I have nothing rewarding my patronage.  (Yes, I own season tickets, have VIP parking and membership to the goddamn Cadillac Grill.)

Maybe NOW I'll try harder to go to games.

Hey - had Ed done his friggin job in the offseason maybe we'd not BE in this position.  But he sucks.  Eddie really sucks.  And this team is stale as all-get-out.  They made their bed; might as well sleep with Iverson again!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
Now that Williams is out, it makes perfect sense to bring AI in. There isn't anyone else who'd be a better fit that's available.

OF course it will become a problem once Lou comes back, since Lou has already demonstrated the ability to run the point and put up good numbers in his own right. 

As long as AI can accept coming off the bench once Lou comes back, the Sixers should sign him.  Right now without Speights and Brand, the Sixers could play Iverson, Iguodala, Young, Smith and Dalembert and be able to compete with most teams.

Nothing will get people into the stands unless they think the Sixers can win. But with the two AI's they'll still put on a show.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »

As long as AI can accept coming off the bench once Lou comes back,
Nothing will get people into the stands unless they think the Sixers can win. But with the two AI's they'll still put on a show.

If Iverson sets the world on fire...he won't be coming off any bench.  Iggy to the 3; Thad sits, imo.  Or Elton to the 5.

And the attendance will - for sure - improve with AI returning.  Not by a ton...and it won't last if they lose...but I think he improves them enough to get them back to where they should be: battling for 5th/6th.