Author Topic: Laker game  (Read 5654 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Laker game
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
Did anyone stay up for this one?  Because it was worth the wait.  Good Karma baby!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laker game
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:29 AM »
Sweet shot by Iggs.

What was up with the turnover by Miller?  He'd been so good up to that point then did the idiotic unforced turn with like 20 seconds to go to revitalize the Flamers.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:21:09 AM »
Sweet shot by Iggs.

What was up with the turnover by Miller?  He'd been so good up to that point then did the idiotic unforced turn with like 20 seconds to go to revitalize the Flamers.

Not only that, but the pass was intended for Evans, which pretty much means even if it made it to him, the Lakers would have possession within 5 seconds. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:21:22 AM »
Karma is definitely the word for it.  Makes it worth staying up for.  And against Kobe and the Zen Master.  I guess Kobe knows how Iguodala felt afterall of those late, near game winners he has this year.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
Andre out-Kobied Kobe with that shot!  Biggest win for the Sixers to date, IMO.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:56:06 AM »
Williams played as well as he has this year.

Thad was great when he was in.  Got stuck in a numbers pinch down the stretch.  He's now scored in double figures in 9 straight, averaging 19.7 ppg over that span.  His midrange jumpshot has been money lately.

Iggy couldn't have been more night and day between the first and second half.

I thought Tony stuck with his lineups a little too long there in the 4th.  Though Ivey was in too long into the 4th, then thought he stuck with Donyell and (mainly) Reggie too long, and the constant o-boards gave LA a chance to get back into it.  I think DiLeo was bailed out a bit this game.  I guess if we can lose games like this, we can win them too.

Is Donyell capable of missing?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
Agree completly with your assessment of the coaching.  Had they lost, I would have been all over Dileo this AM for not playing Speights and for going wih the line-ups too long. They kept Sam on the floor too long, and Donyell too.

Did you notice that no one the Sixers had could slow down Odom, and they still refused to put Speights in to protect Sam's back.

If the team can win with coaching like this, imagine what they could do with a good coach!

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »
With all due respect...I think sometimes you might over-rate Speights' defense.  He can't hang with that Laker front court.  Further...there are times - you can just tell - that he's not playing with as much intensity as he needs to.  (After all, it's his intensity that makes him a potentially dangerous player.)

Last night was one of those nights.

Love the guy; we all do.

But he ain't right for every moment of every game.  He just isn't.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »
Having watched Speights in person several times this year it is very clear that his defense is lacking.  I don't know that it is anything more than simply being a rookie and needing to add some meat to his bones, he definitely needs to get stronger before he can be anything besides a weak side shotblocker.  He certainly has the quick feet to be a good defender if he works at it.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »
It's not over-rateing his Defense, when no one else on the team can stop Odom.  He is too big and strong Thad to handle, and too fast for Reggie.  At least Speights has height on him.  He's not a better defensive player, but he gives the Sixers a different look and much better interior offense and rebounding, two areas where we needed the help last night.  I'm not even saying he would bave been successful, but it was worth it to try considering Odom was the only one keeping the Lakers in it.

The whole point in playing him is not just to help us win games, but to prepare him for the playoffs by giving him the time to make mistakes and learn from them.  No PT, no learning.

The team is playing better, but still needs work on their half-court offense.  He is the only post player they have besides is Thad Young. Brand is out.  If we're going to get any inside scoring at all it will be from Speights.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
As much as I want to see Speights play heavy minutes, I am starting to come to the position that he may still be too much of a defensive liability to play in all situations late in games.  From what I remember, he was pretty much getting schooled out there - or, being a rookie, he wasn't getting any help from the refs.  I still think he should play more, but until his defense gets better, I have no problem with him not being out there late last night (especially when we get the kind of results we did).

And while I understand that Marshall isn't exactly a lock-down guy out there on D, I don't agree with those who said he was out there too long.  He was probably the main reason we were even in position to win the game and, after Iggy's game-winner, Donyell's 3-ball to give them back the lead at 91-89 was the single biggest shot of the game.  Relative to Speights, Marshall's low-post 1x1 defense isn't THAT much worse right now (for example, even though he was called for a foul on Gasol late, I thought his strength and positioning were decent), and his presence out on the floor on offense is HUGE...both in terms of hitting shots as well as other teams' needing to pay attention to him.

Just a great, great win.  I am STILL pumped up over it...

(where is TGP with the pitcher?)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »
With all due respect...I think sometimes you might over-rate Speights' defense.  He can't hang with that Laker front court.  Further...there are times - you can just tell - that he's not playing with as much intensity as he needs to.  (After all, it's his intensity that makes him a potentially dangerous player.)

Last night was one of those nights.

Love the guy; we all do.

But he ain't right for every moment of every game.  He just isn't.

Speights was +7 in 5 minutes last night.  He must have been doing something right, no?  I do agree that his intensity is lacking quite often, especially on the defensive end and on the boards.  Still, having him in over Evans in those last 3 minutes would have been a big help.  He's already proven to be a smarter player than Dalembert (who isn't?) and could've really helped us get a basket in that final minute.

Donyell Marshall...well, he waddles up and down the court, but it's hard to argue with 9 points, 3 assists, and 2 steals down the stretch.  What he lacks physically, he makes up for with knowledge of the game.  He's gonna get cold at some point though, right?

Thaddeus Young has quietly started to blossom into a consistent offensive threat.  He's also hitting the boards a lot harder lately, and, what I find most impressive, is that he almost never turns the ball over.  6 TOs in the 7 games this month.  That's absurd.  He's a real player.

Iguodala seems to be a lot more aggressive lately.  I was shocked when, in the 4th quarter, he passed up a fairly open 3 to drive for the easy deuce.  He really needs to not shoot the 3, even if he hit the big balls shot last night.

Lou is the X factor IMO.  When he's on, this team is extremely dangerous, as the Lakers found out.  He needs to do it more consistently, but I think those flashes of potential could at least have him traded this offseason for something (or nothing if we just want the cap space for something).  I think he may be another Samuel Dalembert...in 5 years, we'll still be talking about his potential.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
It's not over-rateing his Defense, when no one else on the team can stop Odom.  He is too big and strong Thad to handle, and too fast for Reggie.  At least Speights has height on him.  He's not a better defensive player, but he gives the Sixers a different look and much better interior offense and rebounding, two areas where we needed the help last night.  I'm not even saying he would bave been successful, but it was worth it to try considering Odom was the only one keeping the Lakers in it.

Odom?  He had one flurry...and scored only 14 points (he averages 11).  I was much more frustrated by Ariza's production.  He scored and pulled down TWICE the points and boards as usual.  And, of course, Gasol.  He always has his way with us.

Wanna argue we should have added more Speights to dilute HIM?  I'll buy that.  Theo was not at his toughest last night.

The team is playing better, but still needs work on their half-court offense.  He is the only post player they have besides is Thad Young. Brand is out.  If we're going to get any inside scoring at all it will be from Speights.

Frankly, I believe we have NO post player.  Speights sometimes prefers the 16-footer (which is money for him).  Thad might be best.  And Miller.  Which is sort of sad.

But, again, against the Lakers...whose starting front court averages 6'10"...we weren't going to win in the low post.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »

Speights was +7 in 5 minutes last night.  He must have been doing something right, no?

Awfully small sample size.

Who was in with him during those minutes?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
If they can carry over only 2 things from last night let it be:

1.  Lou actually being a positive impact player, and even playing like a decent PG when he wasn't scoring.

2.  Using a good shooter to open up the floor for the entire defense.  
-too often they have combo's like Evans/Ivey where the reverser happens.  Its like a vacation on defense for the opponents.