Author Topic: "Sixers...Sixers...no, never heard of 'em"  (Read 3145 times)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
"Sixers...Sixers...no, never heard of 'em"
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Pardon me whilst I bitch a bit.

Walked into Modell's the other day.  Huge store.  Gotta have 7,000 square feet, this Modell's does.  One of the larger sporting goods stores I've ever seen in my life.  Needed to buy some gifts and thought the recipient would appreciate some Eagles paraphernalia and some Sixers stuff, too.

Have you guys been IN a Modell's recently?  Ya know...the sporting goods super store?  Giant facilities...tens of thousands of items...?  Or am I the last to know that they carry NO Sixers swag?  At all.  None.

By the way, when I say "none" I don't refer to a small selection...or a lame-o inventory.  They carry NOTHING SIXERS.

Want Dallas Fu**ing Cowboys sh*t?  You've come to the right place.  FLYERS?  You got it..."big orange section right over there".

I couldn't find a goddamn WRISTBAND with the Sixer logo on it.  And a jersey?  Jacket?  Sweatshirt?  Pfffft.  You kidding?

Am I missing something or should a Modell's carry at least SOME Sixers stuff, no matter what?  Add to that fact that our team is one of the hottest in the NBA (what are we, 14-4 for Christ sake?) - right up there with Cleveland, San Antonio and Dallas in our last 10...a buzzer beater or two (or three) away from the likes of the Lakers and Celtics in terms of recent success.

CARRY AT LEAST ONE GODDAMN RACK OF SIXERS GEAR!  Wouldya, please?

A disgrace.

This, from their website:

"Modells...offers a large collection of products from top name brands in the sporting goods and apparel business.  ...the name Modell's Sporting Goods means many things. It means shopping from the oldest and one of the most trusted names in the industry. It means selection..."

Selection?  SELECTION? 

Screw you Morris Modell, you dead loser.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Sixers...Sixers...no, never heard of 'em"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »
I sell to Modell's, and can tell you that they just came off a dismal 4th quarter in 08.  I deal with hard goods, but I've been through 4 buyers in the last 5 months.  Prior to that, I've dealt with the same individual for 3 years.  Suffice it to say, they've had some turnover of late and the new buyers coming in have been faced with challenges.  Consequently, items that aren't meeting sell through expectations are being cut back/eliminated.  Now, I have no idea if buyer(s) for team apparel are tenured Modell employees or if that dept. has suffered turnover as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sixer apparel sales have been less than stellar given their struggles early on and as a result have been one of the casualties.  I know reps who do sell seasonal apparel to Modell's and they've had to cut back on their forecasts constantly due to canceled bookings and key items being removed from assortments entirely.  That being said, I certainly don't agree with their giant void in the Sixers department.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:02:23 PM by anklebreaker »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Well, their sales numbers are not likely to increase if they don't carry the goods.  I was in effect prohibited from contributing to the jump is Sixers sales.

But, still, FLYERS?  Aren't there, like, 18,000 Flyers fans in the whole city?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
Where was the location if you don't mind me asking?  All the big box retailers have been screwed up from top to bottom since this recession has been hanging over our heads.  All of their product comes from one centralized warehouse... sometimes they do a piss poor job of allocating goods to appropriate locations.  I recently had an issue where they had full stock on body boards that I sold them in the Moorestown Mall, but didn't have any shipped to their Manahawkin location right by the shore just prior to 4th of July weekend.  Regardless, sounds inexcusable if Flyers, Eagles, and Phils apparel were being sold.  I can understand more conservative purchasing in these times, but you can't remove the assortment entirely... just poor planning as it's abundantly clear that there is still a demand for Sixer gear.

What probably happened is someone new was overlooking sell through reports and saw that category down and inventory high so they probably canceled future shipments prior to the holiday season.  Assuming their domestic inventory is a lot thinner today, that's pretty unforgiving because they do direct import container business, and with seasonal items like Sixers apparel, there's no way to do at once business to replenish mid-season since there's usually a lead time period involved for the large volume qty's they order and depending on where it's being shipped from it can take anywhere from 2-5 weeks for it to get there.  Again, wouldn't be surprised if it boiled down to inexperience and just poor planning.  Modell's has caused me a lot of headaches over the last 6 months. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:17:55 PM by anklebreaker »

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
Willow Grove

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »
I want a Speights jersey.  I doubt anyone puts them out yet.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
I didn't realize you liked Speights.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
I wouldn't mind a Sam jersey... as long as its not a Sixers one.  i'd kick in my part to get him to another team (and not the Canadian National.)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
I wouldn't mind a Sam jersey... as long as its not a Sixers one.  i'd kick in my part to get him to another team (and not the Canadian National.)

BK already kicked in his part with that @#*&%! trade kicker he gave him.  If it did not piss me off so much, the utter absurdness of it would be funny.